Sponsored by:

Preferred hotel for Watkins Glen

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:17 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Preferred hotel for Watkins Glen

Looking for a place I can bring the family to. Pool, etc. Not a 4 seasons - but a nice place. thanks in advance...
Old 07-06-2005, 12:23 PM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Glen Motor Inn is nice, not sue if the pool is open or not. Seneca Lodge is cool, but you'd have to hike to a pond to swim. I don't think any others have pools. A walk through the State park and some water falls would cool you off though.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:39 PM
JoelG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hinchcliffe
Seneca Lodge is cool, but you'd have to hike to a pond to swim.
Last time I stayed at the seneca lodge (2 yrs ago) they had a working pool -- its at the top of the hill where people park trailers sometimes.

The State Park has a great big pool (with diving boards, not common around DC anymore) -- you can walk from the Seneca Lodge (about 5 mins) and I think if you walk in they dont charge you. Otherwise, I think there is some charge for day use. The time I took my kids to WG they spent the whole day at the pool at the State Park and had a great time.

As far as places to stay, every place I've ever stayed at WG has been, um, kinda rustic, but OK. The Glenora is supposed to be nice but its out of my budget. The newest motel in the area is The Falls Motel in Montour Falls. It looks nice enough but I haven't stayed there myself.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoelG
The newest motel in the area is The Falls Motel in Montour Falls. It looks nice enough but I haven't stayed there myself.
Actually it's one of the oldest, but they have completely rebuilt it over the past few years. Very nice owners, nice clean rooms, but no pool.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I would vote to stay in Corning Probably 15 easy miles from the track. Radisson hotel, several nice resturants and a first class grocery store.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phil has done a nice job renovating The Falls, and now has his new Pub opened on site (the old house). He has seating and TVs upstairs for viewing those track videos and swapping lies. No pool though.

The Glenora is very nice, about 8 miles north of town and twice as much as The Falls (at least). When they first opened, they had a first class restaurant. But, the chef left and the last time I was there it seemed like Larry, Mo and Curley were in the kitchen!
Old 07-06-2005, 04:17 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hilton Garden Inn in Elmira was one of the nicest Hiltons I have stayed in. Only about 18 mins from the track.

Rate was $150 per night. Decent restaurant & bar too...

Edit: I just checked and you can now get a rate of $129...

Norm

Last edited by ngoldrich; 07-06-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just spent 4 night at the Hilton Garden in Elmira

Pool, gym,Internet, business center. Food outlets ( Olive Garden, Red Lobster McD) nearby, Movie theatres in the mall across the street. As Norm said, a bit more but the wife and kids will be happy.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:44 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even an Outback right up the street.

BTW - Wolf Henzler and the Farnbacher team stayed there too for the PCA race...

Norm
Old 07-07-2005, 12:48 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The falls ain't no place for your family, there is a hilton/sherraton in elmira, 15min away. When I go with my buds, the falls is great but forget the pool.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:26 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

For the family I like Glenora.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I have been well looked after at Geneva On The Lake. But they do have a preference for 'Old Money', so if that isn't your style, avoid.

R+C
Old 07-07-2005, 07:44 AM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

After going to several dives in the Watkins Glen area, I find the Falls Motel to be a wonderful place. Clean rooms, working air conditioning, cable tv with speed channel, and no mold or mildew whatsoever. When you compare it to what else is available in the WGI area, there is no other choice.

That said, if you really want a pool for your kids, it's not the place for you. There is none...

For anyone else, it gets my best recommendation.

gb
Old 07-07-2005, 10:09 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Phil has done a nice job renovating The Falls, and now has his new Pub opened on site (the old house). He has seating and TVs upstairs for viewing those track videos and swapping lies. No pool though.

The Glenora is very nice, about 8 miles north of town and twice as much as The Falls (at least). When they first opened, they had a first class restaurant. But, the chef left and the last time I was there it seemed like Larry, Mo and Curley were in the kitchen!
I rented a house, which was nice, but a little difficult with three kids under 2 1/2. I had asked the landlord whether it was child friendly and she said yes. I later found out she had never had children so she meant well but really had no idea how much havoc twin one-year old boys can create.

I took my wife to dinner at Glenora, and she was pissed that I had not booked a reservation there. The only way I made it up to her is by taking her to Hershey Hotel and Spa for a few days on the way back. It worked, but it was $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Actually, it was almost half the amount of my new track car Talk about the hidden costs of our addiction
Old 07-07-2005, 10:13 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

How much $$$ for Seneca and Glen Falls?

Quick Reply: Preferred hotel for Watkins Glen