Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche LMP2 first pics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 12:57 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

High revving as well, 480 hp at 10100 rpm.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:02 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracup21
Thanks Colin. Too bad they are not ready to take on the Audi. That car needs to be beat. Not much competition in LMP2, so I guess they should not have much of a problem there unless the Mazda / Courage picks up the pace.
No worries...I believe this is the last year for the R8.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:50 PM
iborroel
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct the current R8 will not run next year. I heard that Audi was developing a new LMP1 car to meet the 2006 regulations.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:59 PM
RobNL
Instructor

Originally Posted by iborroel
You are correct the current R8 will not run next year. I heard that Audi was developing a new LMP1 car to meet the 2006 regulations.
Don't forget to mention the new diesel engine.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:11 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
V8
Doh! I got confused by the CGT conversation we had!
Old 06-22-2005, 02:25 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iborroel
Audi's new LMP1 is supposedly going to be called the R10.
Brian
Old 06-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Graham CS
Instructor

They were also talking on the Le Mans commentry on Eurosport that they have also banned the whole 'change the back half of the car when the gearbox blows' etc. which should also even things up and reduce cost.

That car looks mental...shame it will be beaten by an Audi diesel.

Bummer!

Graham
Old 06-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

A buddy said that there was talk during the Le Mans broadcast that Porsche was also going to develop a LMP1. Anyone confirm that?
Old 06-24-2005, 08:30 PM
fasttech
AutoX

autoweek said penske will race the car in 06 and then it will goto customers, hopefully porsche will build a LMP1 car for 07
Old 06-24-2005, 08:41 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

There is also a rumor that there is a quite "non-aggression" pact between Audi and Porsche, so that they are not competing in the same space. I imagine that at some point, Porsche management will not be able to contain their desire for an overall race winner and they will find themselves in the LMP1 space, but it doesn't sound like Audi has any plans to leave. I guess it makes some sense for Porsche to work back in gradually and acclimate to the current scene with a less competitive class like LMP2.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:26 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

There is also a rumor that there is a quite "non-aggression" pact between Audi and Porsche, so that they are not competing in the same space. I imagine that at some point, Porsche management will not be able to contain their desire for an overall race winner and they will find themselves in the LMP1 space, but it doesn't sound like Audi has any plans to leave. I guess it makes some sense for Porsche to work back in gradually and acclimate to the current scene with a less competitive class like LMP2.
This is something which is hard to prove or disprove. The Supervisory Board chairman of VAG attends the PAG monthly board meetings, along with his brother, between them they can outvote their Porsche cousins, thanks to some adroit post divorce manoeuvering in recent years.

A reliable LMP2 car could very well beat the LMP1 cars. Anybody notice quite how lonely that V10 engine is looking right now?

R+C
Old 06-25-2005, 03:05 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I am not totally familiar with the new rules for LMP1 and the future of the V10. I do agree that an overall winning LMP2 car is certainly possible with the right package given the reduced allowable weight. Porsche / Penske will make this a very good car and maybe it can challenge some of the LMP1's. If Audi really plans on developing a diesel for LMP1, they will face some technical difficulties, particularly with the transmission. The diesel will only be turning 5000 rpm vs. 10,000. They will have to have some very tall gearing, and since they are only allowed a 6 speed, the gears will have to be widely spaced. The tranny will also be under enormous stress dealing with all that torque and trying to run at 200 plus mph. Audi will have some work to. Maybe the Porsche can sneak into the overall winners circle while Audi is trying to get it figured out.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:09 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I am not totally familiar with the new rules for LMP1 and the future of the V10. I do agree that an overall winning LMP2 car is certainly possible with the right package given the reduced allowable weight. Porsche / Penske will make this a very good car and maybe it can challenge some of the LMP1's. If Audi really plans on developing a diesel for LMP1, they will face some technical difficulties, particularly with the transmission. The diesel will only be turning 5000 rpm vs. 10,000. They will have to have some very tall gearing, and since they are only allowed a 6 speed, the gears will have to be widely spaced. The tranny will also be under enormous stress dealing with all that torque and trying to run at 200 plus mph. Audi will have some work to. Maybe the Porsche can sneak into the overall winners circle while Audi is trying to get it figured out.
That might have been the case a few years ago. It is very hard for US listers to realise just how advanced diesels have got.

Go drive the big diesel Touareg, not nice as its terribly nose heavy, or the 4 litre diesel A8, which I have driven at over 270 kph. Personally I love the Diesel in my Landcruiser and hate it in anything I don't go off road in. You can put lip gloss on a Warthog, but you still don't want to kiss it.

Modern diesels are very popular and economical in the fuel they use. However, you just have to smell them to wonder exactly what they are pumping out, thought to be ecologically 'sound', I wonder; it all depends what you are measuring. Afterall, everybody thought Asbestos was a 'good thing'....

Regardless, most diesels pollute the environment with their noise. Not only is it loud, but it is crude and devoid of pleasant tonal qualities, at least in the smaller sizes found in passenger cars. City residents are being forced to close their windows at night, 'less the cry of the turtle be heard in the land'. The local parish priest drives a diesel Golf, it wakes me when he pootles by.

I have one American friend who flies to Europe on a regular basis to race a diesel Bora. He has quite an edge over petrol cars as he uses half as much fuel as they do. But he's from Chicago, and we all know about those guys.

What concerns me is that many of the planners at the German auto makers are deeply struck by diesel, all this tells me is that they aren't deeply struck by driving.
R+C
Old 06-25-2005, 12:44 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, the diesel will get better milage, and at a 24 hour race that may be enough to keep them at the front. Many times it all comes down to who spends the least amount of time in the pits. The diesel will get the nod there.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Henriks 964
Instructor

The LMP2 looks great but I wonder how competitive it will be. Will it be capable to go for an overall victory?
I heard indeed that Audi and Peugeot will build a car with an Diesel.

Quick Reply: Porsche LMP2 first pics?