Sponsored by:

Who's going to VIR 4/1, 2 & 3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 11:27 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian,
If there was any way to get you back out on track, we were going to try it. What else would you do??? Looking forward to seeing you back in business as soon as possible. Its a gorgeous car you have there!

Watch your email for the rocker stuff. Howard wont take money - I tried that already - but he would probably appreciate hearing from you.

Arlene:
The Patriot course is a great shifter kart/motorcycle track. Adding it into the FUll course adds some novelty, but most drivers and instructors were glad to go back to the Full course on Saturday. There were no contact incidents on Patriot, but there were a largish number of off track excursions.
Its your call, but given the heavy caliber hardware NNJR fields, the Full course would be my choice.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan and I had an awesome time this weekend. The 2 of us were really getting around the track, and both cars came home with no problems. It was great to meet some of the Southern contingent - Tony Kelly, Justin (sprbxr), Jim (A930Rocket) and Brian Keith Smith and also Pat Kelly, all the way from Minneapolis with a gorgeous 2005 Cup Car (drool). I had a terrific and enthusiastic student Todd (TD from DC) and we had a lot of fun as he made some real progress. I'm sure that the driving videos that he posts from VIR will be far better than the ones from Summit Point. It was a well run event, and though VIR is known to ding a few cars, fortunately it was only a few (2 GT3s though ). I had a terrific run in the second red session on Sunday with my friend Ken Neilsen in his yellow GT3 and Tom Bobbit in his GT3 Cup Car. The 3 of us went around the track in lock step, nose to tail, a 3 car freight train. Anyway, Brian I hope that you get your motor back together soon, and Pat thanks for all the hardware to re-attach my splitter (which I tore off 2 times but it did not break). I will be back for the NNJR event in the fall, but I hope I see some of you again at the more northern tracks. Oh yeah, and Arlene...don't run the grand course.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:43 AM
tntporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input . . . I think that we will stick with the full course for November.

Sorry to hear about your motor Brian.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:12 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arlene:

That's the way my luck seems to be going lately... I'm really getting sick and tired of sitting back watching my friends have a good time though....

Brian
Old 04-04-2005, 01:56 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I had a terrific and enthusiastic student Todd (TD from DC) and we had a lot of fun as he made some real progress. I'm sure that the driving videos that he posts from VIR will be far better than the ones from Summit Point.
Thanks Larry! I had a great time and will be posting video soon. It is pretty funny to watch the improvement, even over the weekend. I am trying to sync up the data logger info with the video, and once I get that finished, I will post a few clips here. I might also post the 100+ hydroplaning "incident" from Saturday.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:06 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd have to put my $.02 in the full course over the grand course as well.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:40 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

I like your new pic Jim. Looks familiar.

I had my fun on the El Grande Course but I will not miss it if I never drive it again.

The GT3 crashfest was very unfortunate. At least there were no injuries. Think the Dent Wizard could fix the damage?

Enjoyed meeting you Larry (and getting passed by you like I was standing still).

TDinDC
Glad to hear you made some progress. Larry is an excellent teacher.

'til next time...
Old 04-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

This was my first weekend at VIR and I loved the full course and I thought the patriot course was alright. I really enjoyed the track and the event. This event will be on my list every year. My vote is for the full course. Larry....thank God for onstar and Verizon wireless eh?

Tony RTR-PCA
Old 04-05-2005, 10:18 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tony,

How was the wind on the way home? I got into some strong gusts my last hour and was just hanging on for the ride.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keith,
I went to Roanoke and then up 81 all the way to Harrisburg. 460 miles from track to driveway. Towing that trailer required more concentration then even the patriot section. I had to stop 3 times (for fuel also) to relax my brain and get caffeine. The worst part of the whole ride home was the wind could blow the trailer 2-3 feet in either direction at any minute. How did you do? My last run with the Ferrari's did not come out on video. The camera must have endured too many G's and the view was not out of the front window. I'll have to strap it in next time. I did get Sunday's 1st run on tape so I can go back and review and "learn" more about the track. Great fun. Good seeing you again.
Tony
Old 04-05-2005, 10:40 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great weekend. I made it home fine the last hour was nasty with the wind. I was doing the 2' to 3' thing too. It definitely helped keep me awake.

I look forward to seeing you at the Glen.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:01 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My route was straight north on 29. The wind was strong enough to push my open trailer around, and I was thinking you guys with large boxes would be having an interesting ride.

Great to hear everyone made it back without incident.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:16 AM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Thanks for a really nice time!

Larry - I enjoyed meeting you! Hope to see you back racing this season!

BTW: Larry's claim to passing Cup cars is true - I observed him passing several of them over the weekend!
Old 04-06-2005, 12:16 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

My trip home was pretty windy. The big box on wheels is not very aerodynamic.

I saw Larry pass a Cup Car too. He can make that GT3 hal a**.

Quick Reply: Who's going to VIR 4/1, 2 & 3?