Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula 1 Rule changes - Will the hurt or help the sport?

Old 01-28-2005, 12:11 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by wombat7
Maybe we should forward this thread to the big shots at the FIA... lol we know what we want to see of teh series, maybe they should listen to us...

I still can't make myself to believe that traction control is hard to police. It shouldn't be that hard... I dunno maybe there is something that I don't know, which is probable, but i just don't see how it is hard to police.
Back when the FIA tried to police TC, teams were writing their own code. Without being able to decode each teams algorithms, they gave up. Its truly amazing what enough money and effort will produce
Old 01-28-2005, 12:12 AM
Geo
Super User

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I like the notion of no refueling, ala 20 or so years ago.
God, has it been that long? I can't remember anymore. I seem to remember it was started up, made illegal, and brought back. It doesn't seem like that long, but I'm old enough now that it all starts to blend together.

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I HATE the fact that F-1 cars have traction control, and worse that its so tough to police.
Actually, there is a very easy way to eliminate all but the most rudimentary traction control. Ban chassis ECUs. Only allow wiring to the engine, the gauges, and the radio. Period. Ban all the bloody sensors everywhere except the engine. The only traction control you would be left with is not allowing the engine to rev at too fast a rate and that won't help all that much with cornering.

For my next post..... QUALIFYING.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:20 AM
Rich Sandor
Super User

Originally Posted by Geo
Ban all the bloody sensors everywhere except the engine.
Wouldn't that eliminate car telemetry? If it would, there's not way it's going to be removed. Car telemetry is too important these days for a variety of reasons - including safety.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Geo
Super User

With all the debate about qualifying, I've got the solution...

Allow free qualifying. Allow two sets of tires. You must race on the tires you qualify on.

Now, to make things interesting, you take the LAST completed lap as the qualifying time. If you pass start finish again, your previous Q time is null and void and you've committed to the one you're on or a subsequent one.

This will allow teams to tinker during Q and play with set-up in case they want to take another run at qualifying. Of course there is risk involved in doing so. You run the risk of an off or some mechanical issue. You run the risk of a worse time. So, you do some laps, figure out where you think you should be and/or need to be. When you get a time you like, you stand pat. You can play with the car in case you elect to try again. But until the car passes start finish, your old time stays. This also means out and ins are OK - no "penalty." Or if you want to stop this, nullify the previous Q lap when the car leaves the pits.

You might think some teams would try to be cagey and wait to the last minute. Ah, but what about the mechanical or an off? You could end up DNQ and have to start at the back.

It could lead to some interesting grids and a lot of strategy. Oh, and with refueling, you have to start the race without topping off the fuel. Just to really keep it interesting.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Geo
Super User

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Wouldn't that eliminate car telemetry? If it would, there's not way it's going to be removed. Car telemetry is too important these days for a variety of reasons - including safety.
It would not only eliminate telemetry, it would also eliminate data acquisition. The only data acquisition would be the driver's ***. Talk about removing driver aids.

I don't buy the safey argument. That just gets thrown around way too loosely. A GP can be run safely w/o telemetry and even w/o data acq.

Let teams test with it all they like. But don't even think about bringing it to a race meeting.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Rich Sandor
Super User

Well, I agree that telemetry/data aquisition is a huge driver's aid, for sure. I'm a bit biased because I'm a techie kid and I like that stuff - I would elect to keep it.

However there is certain charm for the hardcore early F1 years where they didn't have any of that stuff. I think it would make things really interesting. I think that less driver's aid's means that the better driver wins, and not the driver in the better car wins. (at least not as often..)

I also like your qualifying ideas, it would certainly throw a huge wrench in the equation, being that every outing during a Q is a risk. But honestly I think it's too extreme of a change to ever happen.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:24 PM
wombat7
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow I definately like that qualifying idea. That would make everything a lot different, it would actually cause the teams to use a little more strategy. I would actually go and watch qualifying if that was the case. I went and watch qualifying and prequalifying at the USGP this year and was bored out of my mind until the Porsche Carrera Cup cars started running.

I am a technical geek like Rich, so I love the fact that they get all that data from the cars, but I also hate traction control. I think I possibly hate traction control more than I like the technical data stuff, so I say remove all the telemetry/data aquistion stuff and make the quit relying on traction control.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:25 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My sister's boyfriend races F1 and F3000. I would love to get his take on this. I'll try and get him to post something so we can see what he thinks! Best wishes - Jay
Old 01-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Rich Sandor
Super User

Jay, What's his name?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Will Langhorne. Check out his site at www.willlanghorne.com, I am amazed at all the racing he is involved in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: