Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Seeking sponsorship contract example/template for GA...help? (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/174289-seeking-sponsorship-contract-example-template-for-ga-help.html)

Super D 12-10-2004 04:36 AM

Seeking sponsorship contract example/template for GA...help?

Hi Guys,

I've become aware that most racers in GA are privately funded and some are put on their personal sponsor's payroll, or the racing is just a self-funded company expense of sorts, but in the case of pitching to corporate sponsors, a contract is not only a normal business necessity, it should make clear what the sponsor is giving, getting, Terms & Conditions, etc.

Is there anyone out there with recent GA or ALMS experience with garnering sponsorship and sponsorship contracts that can advise and/or has access to contract examples, templates, etc that I could review.

PM me if the information is to be kept private and we'll share contact info for follow-up.

Thank you very much.

P.S. Is there a listing of racer/racecar insurance sources online anywhere? Anyone have a good experience with ones they can recommend?

Juan Lopez 12-10-2004 02:34 PM

Check out Moorespeeds website. They have their Speedvision sponsorship package there. Good info on it.

Super D 12-10-2004 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Check out Moorespeeds website. They have their Speedvision sponsorship package there. Good info on it.

Yes, thank you. I already have information like that though, the thing I'm looking for is examples of actual sponsorship contracts that address all of the specific financial and legal issues, Ts & Cs, specifics, etc. Without a contract, no money changes hands in any business deal, and that's the one thing I need. It'd be silly to start from scratch, since this has been done many times before. It'd be smarter to look at a few examples that have been done, and customize, then probably have an attorney do a final once-over if needed.

Juan Lopez 12-13-2004 12:29 PM

I don't have that info available but would be interested in seeing one too.

BBailey 12-13-2004 12:56 PM

More than likely, the reason you are not getting a lot of responses is because most teams (at least all the one's I've come into contact with at that level) have at some point paid an attorney to draw up their legal documents (this would include contracts). That said, this would explain why they might be unwilling to share for free, what they paid to have produced for them specifically.

Brian Bailey
Porsche 996 - Grand-Am Cup

MarkPcar 12-15-2004 01:32 AM

Try contacting Grand Am. I familiar with another early stage team that has received support and referrals to service providers thru GA.

Super D 12-15-2004 01:39 AM

Yeah, I've got a call into them already and will follow up. Thanks to all for your input. Maybe after I get this successfully off the ground, I'll post an example of the agreement with proprietary items deleted, so at least someone has a head-start. It's hard enough to go racing! ;)

chrisp 12-15-2004 02:28 AM

Contracts examples, no but advice, yes.

There are some who genuinely earn sponsorship by showing the value behind their program.

However, most sponsorships come through a connection, a friend-of-a-friend or are based on emotion. By that I mean, most companies involved in motorsports are there because someone in a decision making position is a car nut, likes to go to racing, always wanted to be a race car driver, etc.

If there is something you can trade it will get you further.This could come in the form of some sort of free product. discount product, free tickets to the better races, personal endorsements (if you are an Andretti).

It's really hard to sell McDonalds, DuPont, Budweiser, etc on the fact the sponsoring you will sell more product. It easier to sell joe-car-fanatic-who-also-owns-a-multi-million-dollar-company that sponsoring you will get him closer to the sport they love so much.

Good luck and have fun. It's hard work with a very low success rate....perhaps one in twenty. This assumes that even the twenty are pre-selected and make sense. Do some soul searching and figure out what is really special about your team/program and focus on that.