Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let’s relive our first race through Dal

Old 10-16-2004, 12:26 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Let’s relive our first race through Dal

My first race weekend was the thrill of a lifetime. I don’t think the adrenalin wore off for over a week. That was way more years ago than I care to admit, but I can still remember the feeling of elation. I get the same thrill every time I see someone at their first race, or get to read the story of that first weekend. Sooooo, I think we all need just that kind of Speed Fix to carry us through the off season.

We have followed Dal in his challenges – both personal and the bureaucratic licensing challenges, as he has obtained his license and prepped the car. Dal has another challenge right now, and this is one we can probably all help with. I have already been in contact with a few people, who will jump into this thread with their offers and we want to see you out there Dal. So providing you can get the car ready and drag yourself down to Topeka, your friends here are going to ensure you can race.

I am committing to covering the entry fee. Regardless of what anyone else does or does not contribute, I will take care of that part.

I bet that someone will step up and do the same for fuel and maybe some other items.

I know there are some folks out there with extra parts, like window nets, etc that will be happy to send them to you.

I am even willing to bet that the HWFM Big Turtle will step up, join in and even make you a team member complete with turtle stickers.

Dal, either PM me or post here, letting us know what you need financially and parts wise to make this race (assuming you can have the car ready) and we will get you to the race.

What we ask in return is this:
You promise to give us a long and detailed write up of your first race weekend so that we can relive that thrill (for those of us that race) or can better understand the thrill (for those that don’t yet race).

Oh yeah, since it is Heartland, I get the big prize of experiencing the weekend with you. I will come crew for you, and can probably bring my grandson to be in charge of cleaning the car.

One last thing I want you (Dal) to understand:
Club racing, whether it is PCA, SCCA or other groups, is largely about friendship and helping each other. I feel that everyone who will help you with this does so because they understand that they get more out of racing and life by helping and accepting help when needed. Please accept the help and then offer help later when you can. Now go live your dream and let us help.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Dal

We'd be proud to have you carry the team colors.

You just have to promise you will not smoke the field in your first race. That would be very difficult for Mark and I to explain to the rest of the membership.

If you accept Mark's proposition, you may find your teammates a surprising resource.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:46 PM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a spare window net plus hardware I can chip in. Keep me posted.

Cheers, James
Old 10-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Dal,
I have a bunch of Holiday Inn rewards points that could give you a free night or two at a hotel. Or I can make a donation to help out with fuel, etc. I bet the HWFM masses would be willing to help as well.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Greg

My thought exactly...
Old 10-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

Very cool thread, Mark, and quite generous of you & other members. Please feel free to PM with anything I can do to help, too.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:02 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

I remember getting ready for my first race (earlier this year). Man, what a challenge that was. Stressing out 3 days before the event cause I couldn't find someone who knew how to install a cut-off switch in a Boxster. All the time and money getting myself and the car ready was going to be for naught. To be saved by some fellow racers at a shop that hadn't even done any work on the car. Good group of guys/gals this lot.

Count me in for whatever needs I can help meet. If I have it and don't need it, or can get it I will. Just post the list.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can supply gas - my wife can vouch for that.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:07 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I just heard from Dal and he can not get the car ready in time. Since he had thought he could not do the race, there are still too many items on the list. He will probably expand a bit on the situation but I certianly do not want to encourage short cuts to get to the track.

I will probably go out to Heartland to watch some of the action.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:53 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything we can do by remote control to get Dal ready?
There is no way he should be allowed to remain a virgin over another winter if it can be avoided through some extra effort. This is no time for cold feet, Dal! Lets get the impossible done before lunch!
Old 10-16-2004, 08:55 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

I don't have any parts to chip in, but if some work needs to get done on the car, and the only way to get it done in time is to pay some shop to do it, I'll chip in some cash. Even if it cost a grand at some shop to get everything ready, if enough of us chipped in a little bit, we could easily cover it.

I'm in for fifty.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:11 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

WOW!! I just saw this was posted public. I am speechless! But I can type. I will start off by saying this gesture is the kindest thing offered to me. And to get it from people who have no clue to whom they are offering to! And the offer is not for help based on dire circumstances but the care and thoughtful wishes to see someone participate in a hobby as they do. This is a gesture that I find very special for this is not a need but a desire and to witness the offers to help is overwhelming indeed. You all deserve a "Gold Star" for your "Hat"! It is one thing to help the needy but to help someone have fun is another!! If your wives don't give you a big hug tonite I will! I can assure all of you this is a moment in my life never to be forgotten!
Now on to the reasoning behind my methods......Being practical about things is crucial to be involved. For most a mistake or have to spend a bit more is par for the course for most of you but for me a simple issue can have a much harder effect and can take me out of the game for the time till I recoop. I have to plan every detail out to ensure I keep my costs at a minimum and be prepared for common race extras etc. At this time this is my only car- still saving for a second for daily/hauling. So that is a risky issue as is. I did DE's driving to and fro but CR is another thing. Cars do and will break or I could have an incident disabling the car. I do have my Mom in NE Kansas and when looking at entering I decided to "take the risk" and race and in the event I need to be rescued there are plenty of Moms friends who would trailer my car/me to moms. But still not practical.
As far as the car being ready, it needs a net, kill switch install, total go through checking torque etc over,and find a FX mount I can put on the BK mount in the car for 2.5 lb fx, oil, bleed normal prerace freshening. All this is a bit much for me to handle in short order and not be stressed out. It is very important for me to be calm/relaxed to remain healthy any stress and I can get very ill. I have cornered the market on relaxation and my ability to be calm has been a huge asset in driving skills in the short time I have been doing this addiction I guess.

So with that said it is really not practical in such little time to go about my "debut" under the gun and there are races next season so it is not like it is a one time shot. I think we all suffer the "RED MIST" at one time or another and we try to get just one a little more out of it and then you get bit. It is best to get the car ready and give me more time to save up over the off season and I can get a fresh and relaxed/ready start of 05. When I conceived this plan to join PCA and race I had to plan and budget every DE out to the penny. As always in racing you always end up spending more due to unforseen expenses. The last DE I did was the $$$ for my debut race. So I have fallen behind the planned budget and playing catch up as a result. Retirement takes creative saving to live life. Can't save as easy on a monthly income as it takes more time to accumulate.

On the net I need to consider a future sale of the car if trauma strikes etc. Easier to sell a oem car than race car. So I did not want to weld a net as I have no cage, again for the same reason. Otherwise I would have a full cage and weld a net up. So this leaves me and others with a 944 model with very few options on nets and Schroth has the best one for my situation but pricey. And right now I am sweating this full cage for Stock class ruling as this would set me back too.

I really do not know how to express my appreciation as it deserves more than words can express! You all are very special people indeed! Someday I will repay the kindness but all I can think of right now through the mist I type through, is just go out and make a good showing and knock your nemesis off the podium for you!

Regards, Dallas
Old 10-16-2004, 10:46 PM
James Achard
Pro

Dal,
Let me know if you need any help with the cage. I might be able to pull something off. I am currently in the process of designing a bolt in 944 roll cage. If you have access to a MIG welder I can bring out my tubing bender and we could have a cage install party. I have a window net too as I said before. If you PM me your address I can ship it out on Monday.

Sunday Driver, Thanks for bringing this to our attention, It's truly an honor to be in ths community.

Cheers, James
Old 10-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Dal

We have lots of team mates out there.

Just yell "hey turtle..."
Old 10-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with DJ - maybe we can get enough to have a shop prep it. I'd chip in some cash. Consider it pay back for Dal giving me lots of tech help when I was doing my tbars awhile back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let’s relive our first race through Dal