Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let’s relive our first race through Dal

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 08:15 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am amazed at these offers! Many lurkers reading are scratching their heads I'll bet! Perhaps those who are can take stock in it. Where else do you see a group of members "gang up" and lend a helping hand$$$$. There is no substitute for one offering their hard earned money to another for the purpose of seeing a fellow member participate. Many complain about the 18.00 membership fees. I guess they feel the help they get is not worthy or why pay when the info/help is free anyway.
My fees have just paid me back in more ways than emotion can express! So KUDOS to John/Jen for such a venue for us to enhance our lives and involvement/education in the Porsche world!!! I can not think of another venue etc that offers what I have been offered. And not to mention the class of people, members or not that Rennlist has in it's stable!

What is needed to be ready was put in the back burner. I knew I have all winter to recoop and prep. So it is not a major expense as one offered to help on sending the car to the shop for prep. Little things needed that do not require a shop to perform. Yes it would be quicker in getting it ready but not needed. Problem with this is the lack of shops in Iowa. My main man was stricken with Prostrate cancer as of late and they opened him up and closed him right back up. Not good and I pray he survives. So I am "techless" here. So now I am looking at George/Brian in Chicago, Midwest Eurosport as a shop when I can't handle the repair. I do 95% of my work. But still a good distance from Des Moines. But I can't think of a better place to do business with!

James....the cage issue is really important as I do believe the rule is going to pass leaving many stock class cars scrambling to cage the cars so a cage is most likely needed. So regardless I will need to have one if funds can allow it. MIG welder is not a problem nor is shop space. The offer you make is a major one and will be needed I am sure. If safety can be installed cost is not an issue vs the cost of not having safety!

Window nets are being offered by the dozen. I think I need to determine the type needed. No cage takes one style, caged takes another so I do appreciate all the offers to send a net but I would rather focus on getting the right system and leave the other nets offered to others who may need your generousity in the future as they may find themselves in the same situation and they will need our help as well!

Please do not be offended if I reject any or all such offers as my humble mindset makes it hard to take. All offers are respected and appreciated! Bottom line though is being practical about this. Rushing things for the sake of losing ones "virginity" is risky at best. Sometimes the wait pays off!

For those reading and you race/DE try to see your way to participate at the Kansas City Club Race. The regions first race and the entries are low and they need your participation to make the clubs efforts pay off. Give the KCR the same chance to start their debut and continue for years to come.

My deepest appreciation to all!! Dal
Old 10-17-2004, 09:39 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Humph...

What an exceedingly Low Class crowd this is, indeed. And wouldn't you just figure that our Emperor would foment this latest afront?!

Too bad I'm not closer, Dal. I'd have you ready in an afternoon. Well, as long as we stayed ahead of the beer curve!

Old 10-17-2004, 10:15 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

In good hands John, I am a designated driver!
Old 10-17-2004, 10:29 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Dal,
While I respect the idea of taking thiings slowly and making sure everything is in perfect order, I think you need to take some people up on their offers and get to the race! I am sure that myself and many others are very familiar with the "thrash to get to or on the track". Let's get this going!
Old 10-17-2004, 12:13 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Dal, This is my first race season. Many hilarious HWFM moments have spiced up the year, several of which involved race prep. Probably the best was getting my car ready quite late on Friday night [day job got in the way again!]. Looked like I had a decent chance of getting on the road around 10PM for the 4 hour drive to VIR. Car loaded on trailer, truck packed, connected the trailer lights.......zzzaaaapppp! Major short, fuses blown etc. The trailer came with the car in Feb '04, and refreshing the trailer was a job on my list for months. At 9PM, the rewire job started. By11:30 the lights were working, but I was wrecked. Slept for three hours, then drove to the track. Needless to say, I took it fairly easy on Saturday!

Last minute prep rush is part of the game. Things just happen, schedules get busted, parts fail, batteries go flat.....etc. Having a group of experienced Rennlisters ready to help you through your first such crisis is a real advantage. Understand that it's your call, but dont be bashful about having fellow racers offer to help out. You will find this kid of willingness to help in almost every race paddock. As someone said, its part of the rich culture that keeps us addicted.

PS: Sorry about the virgin comment. Don't want to stretch that analogy too far.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:43 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

I'm in...
for some $
Old 10-18-2004, 09:15 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

You people sure have a way to make a 47 y.o. man cry!

I wrote Sunday Driver via PM expressing my deepest appreciation for his initiative starting this. But he is not the only deserving of it!

in short...God has created many works of art and you all are his" Masterpieces"! and for those needing a chuckle you are all "Oranges among Onions!

Raising the glass!! Dallas
Old 10-18-2004, 12:20 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

47 y.o. man?!

I thought you were one of the girls in your avatar...
Old 10-18-2004, 12:23 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

No, just my daughters.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Come on Dal, Do It man!!!
I have a extra kill switch (brand new) that I would be happy to contribute to the cause. With help like what is being offered, jump in and go!

I jumped into club racing a couple of years ago with a 993 cab. It was my street car but I wanted to go racing so bad that I did what I had to to do to put the car on the track. I was not looking to win, place or show. I wanted my club race lic. Get the car ready, go out and have fun, get your rookie race out of the way and start planning for next season. You got to start sometime!!
Old 10-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

And please bring your daughters when we crew for you...
Old 10-18-2004, 01:13 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
Come on Dal, Do It man!!!
I have a extra kill switch (brand new) that I would be happy to contribute to the cause. With help like what is being offered, jump in and go!

I jumped into club racing a couple of years ago with a 993 cab. It was my street car but I wanted to go racing so bad that I did what I had to to do to put the car on the track. I was not looking to win, place or show. I wanted my club race lic. Get the car ready, go out and have fun, get your rookie race out of the way and start planning for next season. You got to start sometime!!
Ditto!

Somebody HAS to know of a shop local enough and responsive enough to get the car ready. Heck, I know a guy here is San Diego who will work 7/24 to get the car ready. But Iowa -> San Diego -> KC would be a bit much!
Old 10-18-2004, 02:07 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

It appears the gang from HWFM is anxious to see me out there! Must need a reason to change the name to "Hey someones behind me"!! Someone needs to win a race! Ok who is the I class "ringer" you are setting me up with?
Mike in Chi...
If they come along I will take 1st overall!

Let me get specific on what it will take to do HPT....

Haves

Switch, FX mount-one for the fx itself to go on BK mount.

Don't have

window net system which is depending on cage or no cage. No cage as is needs a fabricated one or the Schroth system$$$. Full cage is an issue regardless because of 05 rules change. Not practical to spend for a net as is when it has to be changed when full cage is in. Need graphics to number/letter the car. A transponder is needed.

Oil change. BF change/bleed and install one line on rear. Check every nut and bolt. My car is famous for vibrating fasteners loose. And as of today I see I have some vibration going on. I know it is close to belt change time for it. Mounts are fairly new but still my first area of concern now. Change my lugs to steel. All this is EZ but time consuming none the less.

The major consideration I have is not a new one but a real one to consider. Only car I own, no trailer/truck. I am dependent upon it running till I can save for a second to rid this obstacle. I had a second car but the SA will only allow me to own so much in assets without penalty regarding autos. If I don't start out at a race with the car at 100% I am risking the trip back home and that is no guarantee it won't break down. DE was one thing but having to race you guys and drive home is more frightening than the race itself. Can I trust you won't hit my car.....rhetorical?
Not a practical way to start out wouldn't you agree?!

I am not looking to win,place or show thus no need for haste. Had we had 2 weeks more then you would be experiencing me crawling up your tailpipe
Old 10-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

When is the race in question?
Old 10-18-2004, 02:23 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

OCT. 29/31 Topeka Ks.

Quick Reply: Let’s relive our first race through Dal