Sponsored by:

sunoco fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 11:38 PM
warpedrotor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunoco fuel issues

has anybody running sunoco race fuel found white matter in their combustion chamber or piston tops or found aluminum erosion on their engine inernals
Old 08-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know about internals but recently I noticed a lot of white dust on the back of the car that is not usually there.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:33 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

It was mentioned on SPEED that Sunoco race fuel has an additive that is damaging fuel cells.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:57 AM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not a fuel expert, but I knokw that Sunoco in Canada uses up to 10% ethanol. this is known to damage fuel systems. The white deposits might be aluminum disolved from the fuel system?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:14 AM
peachboy
Racer

The Ontario Government will likely legislate 5% Ethanol soon, going on to 10% in 2007. Anything that we can do for that ??

I thought that Sunoco 94 was the best fuel to buy here ??? Most other dealer seem to have 91 as the highest, any suggestion for the bestOntario fuel ?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGaunt
Not a fuel expert, but I knokw that Sunoco in Canada uses up to 10% ethanol.
Are you absolutely certain of that? That would be very surprising because it wouldn't pass tech for any class that required gasoline. It should fail the simplest tests.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Are you absolutely certain of that? That would be very surprising because it wouldn't pass tech for any class that required gasoline. It should fail the simplest tests.
Race classes that run on pump fuel have a different testing limit, using the most common fuel test kits (High Desert, etc.). Dielectric test, which is at or below a 'zero' meter reading for race fuel, allows a '+10' or '+15' for street fuels. This allows adequate leeway for ethanol levels. The 'reagent' tests look for other stuff...the only ethanol-related test is the dielectric test.

Yes...I know all about race fuel testing, too. Isn't that annoying ?
Old 10-05-2004, 12:35 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, as I said in my post, I am no expert, but there is a sticker on the pump that says the fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol. I am absolutely certain I read the sticker correctly.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:47 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Race classes that run on pump fuel have a different testing limit, using the most common fuel test kits (High Desert, etc.). Dielectric test, which is at or below a 'zero' meter reading for race fuel, allows a '+10' or '+15' for street fuels. This allows adequate leeway for ethanol levels. The 'reagent' tests look for other stuff...the only ethanol-related test is the dielectric test.

Yes...I know all about race fuel testing, too. Isn't that annoying ?
Moment bitte Herr Professor.....

1. Can you tell me what rule book you are using? It makes a difference, and also Dave is from Canada and they may have different rules.

2. SCCA rules allow DC of +15 for SS, T, IT, SRF, and Olds SR running as CSR. All other 4 cycle engines must be 0 max.

3. One of the purposes of race fuel is to be guaranteed that reading of 0 max. I find it hard to believe that Sunoco race fuel would have any alchy in it at all. Sunoco pump gas (including 94) is another story. Put another way, if Sunoco race fuel has alchy in it, it would be worthless in classes that require DC of 0 max.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Geo
Race Director

Oh wait. Nevermind. I see the conversation started out talking about Sunoco race fuels, but looks like it may have turn to pump fuels. That would explain the discrepancy.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:53 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mea culpa...I read the label on the pump right, but failed to read the thread correctly. I was thinking it was another thread about pump 94 in Canada, not race gas. Oops!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by DGaunt
Mea culpa...I read the label on the pump right, but failed to read the thread correctly. I was thinking it was another thread about pump 94 in Canada, not race gas. Oops!
Yeah, but I was just as wrong for not connecting the two separate issues. Only when I went back and read a little more carefully did I notice.

Quick Reply: sunoco fuel issues