Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ColorChange Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 09:00 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been signed off with two different track groups but only on the same track (Gingerman). I am thinking of running Putnam and if I do, I will be seeking an instructor when I first go out, hopefully to ride in his car near the limit, and then to get his help in my car.

Lotha:
I am not against all instructors, far from it. As Mitch stated so well, I am looking for a different type of instructor than is typically found. I would probably benefit from both, one much more than the other. And I think (my opinion) that I can do better by myself and my DAS than with a poor instructor.

RJay
Agree as the same exact thing applies in ski racing: looking ahead through the gates for your line.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:36 PM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

ColorChange,

If you are looking for a particular type of instructor, be sure to make a note in your event application. Many chief instructors take note of specific requests and try to hook up compatible student/instructor pairs. You may want to mention your interest in DAS so that you get an instructor with experience in analyzing your data. Given your level of experience, I would not think that such an assignment would come naturally. Most new drivers would not even think about DAS.

As mentioned in a previous post, I have yet to have an instructor that did not teach me something of value. There are many things to be learned that that will make you a better driver, but do not relate directly to driving faster.

There are always those times when there is a lack of chemistry between instructor and student. That doesn't make them a poor instructor. It just means they are not the instructor for you. Also, the way instruction is delivered may not be compatible with your prefered way of learning: visual, auditory, etc.

CC, In reading this thread, I sometimes wonder if you are appreciating the total experience. This is not a criticism, but as honest question. Are you?

Performance driving feeds many senses: visual, auditory, seat of the pants, unique smells and, if you loop your car into a sandy run-off area and fill your car with flying dirt and dust with an open visor, sometimes even taste. There is so much more to this than a few equations or lap times or data points. I enjoy every moment I'm on and at the track. I enjoy tweeking all those senses. I just wondered, does your very technical approach prevent you from taking it all in? Just curious.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:54 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Lothar:
The experience on the board is marginal but every now and then I get great posts and pick up bits here and there. With regard to overall tracking, OH YES, I love this, I think more than skiing as my skiing is suffering due to my age (43)! My approach is very different than almost everyone but when I do something I focus very intently on it and almost always improve very rapidly. It is my way and I like it.

Watch my deluge video when you can hear my comments. Do I sound like a guy who isn't having fun? I think I do get your overall comment about stepping back and smelling the roses. I do that after a session or after the day in the bar.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColorChange
The experience on the board is marginal...
What an ***.

This guy is worse than Ghettoracer. All you people who have come to this dolt's defense, now you can see his true colors.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:10 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Thank you Geo for so perfectly exemplifying what makes my personal experience here so marginal. Your post is so insightful, informative, and advances the knowledge we all can share and learn from.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Geo
Race Director

Thank you Geo for so perfectly exemplifying what makes my personal experience here so marginal. Your post is so insightful, informative, and advances the knowledge we all can share and learn from.
At least it's accurate an honest.

Your arrogance knows no bounds. You have almost zero track experience and you call the experience on this board marginal. A board that includes not only professionals, but people who could be professionals had they not chosen another path. People who have infinintly more experience than you, including experience with DA.

As I said before, my only real issue is your attitude and arrogance. You've proven my point oh so well (once again).
Old 08-22-2004, 08:30 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

CC, In reading this thread, I sometimes wonder if you are appreciating the total experience. This is not a criticism, but as honest question. Are you?
I was referring to MY experience on this board, not the experience of the members on this board. Jeez!
Old 08-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Geo
Race Director

I was referring to MY experience on this board, not the experience of the members on this board. Jeez!
OK. It's just not what you wrote, but we all sometimes write things we mean one way that can be read another. I've certainly done that.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:58 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

The experience on the board is marginal
WOW!
I am not sure how to respond to this guys quest to dig himself deeper, every post

Just about everyone here has been more than patient with this guy...WOW!
Old 08-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Z-man
Race Director

I have been signed off with two different track groups but only on the same track (Gingerman). I am thinking of running Putnam and if I do, I will be seeking an instructor when I first go out, hopefully to ride in his car near the limit, and then to get his help in my car.

Lotha:
I am not against all instructors, far from it. As Mitch stated so well, I am looking for a different type of instructor than is typically found. I would probably benefit from both, one much more than the other. And I think (my opinion) that I can do better by myself and my DAS than with a poor instructor.
Ok, I'll ask the stupid question: CC: What type of instructor are you indeed looking for? (My guess is someone who can max his g-sum under the FC!)
IMHO, there is no such thing as a poor instructor. Sometimes there may be personality clashes between students and instructors. But remember - these guys typically aren't being paid to do this stuff. Their passion is driving, and they want to share their passion with you. Leave your attitude in the pits, and you will see there is no such thing as a poor instructor. Tell me, in your opinion, what makes an instructor a POOR instructor? If it is the fact that he's criticizing your driving style, then you'd better think twice before answering so!

Regarding being signed off: As I've stated before: I have graduated to the solo run groups (I run in Black in NNJR-PCA events). The DE chiefs believe that I do not require an instructor at any track - even 'virgin tracks' I have not yet experienced. Yet, at every track, and EVERY event but one, I have always had an instructor come out with me. (BTW: that one event - Summit Point - yeilded my worst driving ever!)

Earlier this year, I was at Mid-Ohio, and I caught a ride with an instructor and then he rode with me. The experience was invaluable - this guy cut his teeth at MO, so he know all the little things to look for - a crack here, a corner of concrete there, that would help point the car in the proper direction. A DAS system simply cannot do this. No G-Sum chart can ever replace the analog input - the human input, if you will - that an instructor offers.

Ok, I leave you with an once of truth I learned this weekend at Watkins Glen - Early braking and early throttle is an effective way to go fast around a turn. (Thanks John! I have seen the light! )

-Z-man.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:45 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Chris W. I really am confused by you. If you notice I clarified my statement the day before your post continuing a misinterpretation. Did you not understand my correction?

I will try once more with what I should have written originally (my mistake):

MY experience on this board is marginal ... - instead of - The experience on this board is marginal … . Is that clear enough?
Old 08-23-2004, 01:54 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The only CC question I can think of is "why?"
Old 08-23-2004, 05:59 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

As promised for ColorChange, pics of what I work with in terms of DAS.. Also, now that I am in the office for two days, I'll dig up what I can re: track data.

BTW, this system is still for sale, including wheel dash for about half of what your TT cost
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2004, 06:03 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Chris W: What I am really after is how you (or your engineers) analyze driver performance.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:07 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris-

I think that setup is the final missing piece between myself and Formula One glory! Sign me up!

Max

Quick Reply: The ColorChange Question