Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Track Insurance Q

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2024 | 12:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=Steve113;19687358]I am an open book and love to help the sport I love that has given so much to me

In12 years or so of my program I have not heard of a liability incident driver vs driver in HPDE.

You as a registered signed in participant are also an additional insured under the event organizers policy. You can verify that with your event organizer.

There is a hold harmless signed by every participant against track, organizer and other participants. There is also an open inherent risk that one understands by participating. (you understand the risk)

Let me go a step farther and say that in all the 12 years of my program I think we paid 1 maybe 2 claims involving a multi car incident.
It always single car driver error

I will also say that rate of accidents on track are at an epidemic level. If everyone doesnt start understanding that this is HPDE and stop recking you might be left in a couple of years with no programs to write the coverage or rates that are double what they are now[/QUOTE]

+1,000

In DE's with single car incidents and in Club Racing with single and multi car incidents.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-12-2024 | 12:57 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The Ox
+

What happens if someone hits you mid corner, without a point bye and causes $8k damage to your car? This happened recently to a friend of mine. 10% deductible is $8K , so he's out of pocket 100%. Don't want to name names, he has it on his Garmin camera. HPDE , Blue/White solo run group. No it wasn't me.
Isn't the 10% deductible on the amount of the claim? $8K damage $800 deductible?
Ok I was just informed that this is not the case. Makes HPDE insurance even less appealing.

Last edited by hbdunn; 10-12-2024 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2024 | 01:26 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hbdunn
Isn't the 10% deductible on the amount of the claim? $8K damage $800 deductible?
Ok I was just informed that this is not the case. Makes HPDE insurance even less appealing.

But if your car is only valued at $25k a $2.5k deductable is much easier to swallow, premiums r much lower and an $8k accident may be a total.....mayby u should just undervalue your car. Makes complete sense
Old 10-12-2024 | 01:40 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

+

What happens if someone hits you mid corner, without a point bye and causes $8k damage to your car? This happened recently to a friend of mine. 10% deductible is $8K , so he's out of pocket 100%. Don't want to name names, he has it on his Garmin camera. HPDE , Blue/White solo run group. No it wasn't me.
So his declared value was $80K?

Trying to figure out the math here. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2024 | 10:34 AM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
So his declared value was $80K?

Trying to figure out the math here. Thanks.
Yes, declared values was $80K. He was insuring against a total,loss. He accepts the terms of the track, HPDE etc. He's fuming at then idiot who hit him . He was going into a turn a little hot, got a little loose, but saved it. The guy behind him thought he was going off track so, without a point bye (white/blue) he decided to try to pass him in the middle of a corner. So many bad decisions: no point bye, middle, of a corner, and when he saw a car getting loose, instead of slowing down, he sped up and tried to pass him. That's why my buddy is angry.
Old 10-13-2024 | 11:10 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Yes, declared values was $80K. He was insuring against a total,loss. He accepts the terms of the track, HPDE etc. He's fuming at then idiot who hit him . He was going into a turn a little hot, got a little loose, but saved it. The guy behind him thought he was going off track so, without a point bye (white/blue) he decided to try to pass him in the middle of a corner. So many bad decisions: no point bye, middle, of a corner, and when he saw a car getting loose, instead of slowing down, he sped up and tried to pass him. That's why my buddy is angry.
Uggh, that’s awful.
Sorry that happened to your buddy.
Wouldn't the deductible be only $800 if damage was $8000?
Is only a total loss covered?

Last edited by dgrobs; 10-13-2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-13-2024 | 11:48 AM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Uggh, that’s awful.
Deductible is based on total value, not the claim. And if he submits a claim, they will not insure him for a year.
Old 10-13-2024 | 11:52 AM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Uggh, that’s awful.
You pick a deductible amount based on a percentage of the agreed total insured value.
The policy states the deductible amount as a dollar value. In this case 10% of the total agreed value was an $8,000 deductible.
So a damage claim for $8,000 would pay $0 and a $10,000 claim would pay $2,000.
Old 10-13-2024 | 12:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I’ve had annual polices with Open Track for years and I only had 1 claim with them.
$60K agreed value got me a check for $57K (5% deductible) when I totaled my Cayman at the Glen years ago.
I never realized that the deductible was on the agreed value and not the claim. No $hit, I never knew that, but then again, I normally don’t read the fine print of insurance contracts.
Sucks that this happened to Oxs’ buddy.
Old 10-13-2024 | 12:44 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

I’ve had annual polices with Open Track for years and I only had 1 claim with them.
$60K agreed value got me a check for $57K (5% deductible) when I totaled my Cayman at the Glen years ago.
I never realized that the deductible was on the agreed value and not the claim. No $hit, I never knew that, but then again, I normally don’t read the fine print of insurance contracts.
Sucks that this happened to Oxs’ buddy.
This is why I drive a 24 year old car and self insure. Feels like I'm having 95% of the fun as the nice cars.

Old 10-13-2024 | 12:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hbdunn
This is why I drive a 24 year old car and self insure. Feels like I'm having 95% of the fun as the nice cars.

Wow, that’s a really nice PTS 991.2 in front of you. Think he’ll wanna sell it to me?
The following 2 users liked this post by dgrobs:
ANGST (10-14-2024), hbdunn (10-13-2024)
Old 10-13-2024 | 02:19 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

As a driver I have always paid the annual with OpenTrack and included liability when it became available. I read the fine print. For some self-insuring provides relaxation, for me insurance reduces stress. That’s a personal choice (or failing). I’ve made one small claim, OpenTrack dealt with it promptly, fairly, and it saved just enough to pay that year’s premium.

As an instructor I avoid driving anyone else’s car. It is occasionally necessary. I will not do it unless I know they are fully insured and I am covered by their insurance.

As a volunteer helping run some HPDE’s, I have always been equivocal when asked about track insurance, particularly by those new to the hobby. As noted by others, it feels as if incidents are occurring more often than they have in some years.

Especially in instructed groups, incidents should not happen. They do. I’ve been present near one this season. Instructed students usually don’t understand how high the financial (and psychological) burden can be, even for single car incidents involving a “cheap” car.

In solo groups, especially when the organizer has vetted the attendees and maintains a high driving standard, incidents should not happen. They do. Often they are mechanical, as noted by others, and mechanicals can impact more than one car. Sometimes they are driver error. A car-to-car occurred at an event I attended recently. It should never have happened. It was clearly the fault of one driver only. The driver at fault admitted error. Damage was relatively small and entirely cosmetic, but as one car was a newish Porsche the bill will be significant. The driver at fault did not, so far as I know, offer to compensate the person they hit. I don’t know whether they carried liability, but surely had they done so it would have been relatively easy to do the honorable thing.

For some people their cars - even their track cars - are not just a depreciating asset with a dollar value, they are an emotional investment and even part of their identity. The impact (no pun intended) can be more than financial. A mechanical is the most likely cause for an incident. A driver’s own error is next most likely. Errors by a third party cannot be discounted, and perhaps we should want others to carry liability for general benefit.
The following users liked this post:
hbdunn (10-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Open Track Insurance Q