The Decline of PCA Club Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 07:16 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
I've had conversations which tell me the Club is very focused on addressing some of the issues that have been raised.

While I'm not sure that everyone would agree on all the issues or their solutions, I can say that the idea that they've got their heads buried in the sand is absolutely NOT the case ...
My hope is that PCA CR will seek input from drivers before making changes. As you said, you can't make everyone happy, and no one knows that better than me, but if the changes to the 13/13 rule are any guide to PCA's rule change thought process, it leaves out input from drivers.
The following 4 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
analogmike (07-25-2024), Jared Rodeheaver (07-25-2024), ProCoach (07-24-2024), tgsmith4845 (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 07:27 PM
erliuic
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
Not easily. You still have to do PCA medical, PCA race application, orientation meeting, then be on a provisional.
No different at all than being a real rookie with no experience. For my SCCA license I sent in my license application and said I had a PCA license and a week later my SCCA license came in the mail.

Personally I think it’s that when there is a wreck in something like the cups it’s a BIG wreck because of the speeds involved. Or maybe it’s notable because the cars are more expensive? You see a Honda wrecked on the side of the road you barely notice. A Ferrari? You stare and comment.

I’m intrigued and may want to help/get involved in some capacity. Give me a call sometime if there’s something we can discuss.
I just did a NASA race at LRP. I still needed to do medical and the licensing form to get a provisional license despite having a PCA license.
Old 07-24-2024, 09:04 PM
Estoril
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RennPart
I guess it's time to add a EDM/creed concert with drifting between sessions and a DE added in...

--Aaron

Old 07-25-2024, 07:17 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I started racing w/ PCA back in 2004 and have seen several change over that time period.

In all of that time, though, I do not recall being asked by PCA National to participate in a survey inquiring what I like/dislike about the program, if I race with other orgs, why I don't participate in more PCA races, etc. PCA has thousands of potential inputs (2000 currently-registered racers plus hundreds who raced in the past) to generate data to make decisions on how to change for the better. As mentioned above, there are a lot of reasons why participation is down, and polling a wider audience than Rennlist may yield some interesting results..

The following 6 users liked this post by jerome951:
Difool (07-25-2024), Jared Rodeheaver (07-25-2024), LuigiVampa (07-25-2024), peterp (08-11-2024), ProCoach (07-25-2024), tgsmith4845 (07-25-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-25-2024, 09:33 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

In terms of what PCA can control, it's down to cost, track time, and officiating, with the latter representing the greatest low hanging fruit. Unfortunately, progress on this front requires listening to your customers.

And P.S., I'm not worried about getting hit by a flying CPAP machine. Bin the stupid medical requirements. The reality is they're all about PCA covering their own butt and have nothing to do with keeping us safe.
The following 4 users liked this post by Nizer:
George from MD (07-28-2024), LuigiVampa (07-25-2024), M13S (08-28-2024), ProCoach (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 09:41 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

I haven’t ever received a feedback form, but we are all asked to provide suggestions every year (rules changes) and I’ve had several stewards bounce ideas or seek feedback from me, and others, in conversations.

Personally, I think PCA has an opportunity to excel at sprint racing. Not easy. There in a better position than most other car clubs. Just one person’s pre-coffee musings:
  • Introduce several power/weight classes and transition many of the lower car-count classes into these
  • Allow BMWs and other car types into those classes, perhaps in conjunction with BMW-CCA. Yeah yeah, but lower car-count races are already partnering with others.
  • always have an advanced DE and always make it a damn good one with pro coaches, and put your licensing THERE. Interested? attend a race in the DE and get evaluated for a provisional license there.
  • Make it slightly easier to use other race licenses (for provisional PCA licenses)
  • get more vendors and sponsors into the races
  • livestream broadcast the races with amateur commentators
  • open up spectator registration, enough to cover liability
  • Oh, and kill the enduros to make room for more sprinters. Enduro may have been a valuable experience 10 years ago, but nowadays you can do it right in 5 other race series and most of us do. Focus on sprints and maybe extend some or all of them a bit.

Last edited by Difool; 07-25-2024 at 09:53 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Difool:
LuigiVampa (07-25-2024), mobius911 (07-25-2024), Nickshu (07-25-2024), peterp (08-11-2024), redmcoupe (07-28-2024), skeeler (07-25-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Jas0nn
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool
I haven’t ever received a feedback form, but we are all asked to provide suggestions every year (rules changes) and I’ve had several stewards bounce ideas or seek feedback from me, and others, in conversations.

Personally, I think PCA has an opportunity to excel at sprint racing. Not easy. There in a better position than most other car clubs. Just one person’s pre-coffee musings:
  • Introduce several power/weight classes and transition many of the lower car-count classes into these
  • Allow BMWs and other car types into those classes, perhaps in conjunction with BMW-CCA. Yeah yeah, but lower car-count races are already partnering with others.
  • always have an advanced DE and always make it a damn good one with pro coaches, and put your licensing THERE. Interested? attend a race in the DE and get evaluated for a provisional license there.
  • Make it slightly easier to use other race licenses (for provisional PCA licenses)
Great ideas - nice to read solutions/suggestions instead of complaints!
The following 2 users liked this post by Jas0nn:
peterp (08-11-2024), tgsmith4845 (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 09:54 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 992 Likes on 663 Posts

These are all excellent suggestions. For sure, IMO, the #1 thing PCA CR needs to do is wipe out all current classes and just go to a HP/Weight ratio. Max of maybe 5 classes total.

Drivers Eye Live is an amazing amateur race comminating group. They stream on Youtube.

Last edited by Nickshu; 07-25-2024 at 10:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 10:02 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
Great ideas - nice to read solutions/suggestions instead of complaints!
God knows we can't have that! Look at what happened to the last guy who made a complaint.
Old 07-25-2024, 10:11 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

• Oh, and kill the enduros to make room for more sprinters. Enduro may have been a valuable experience 10 years ago, but nowadays you can do it right in 5 other race series and most of us do. Focus on sprints and maybe extend some or all of them a bit.
Interesting to get rid of enduros, but if that did happen, maybe replace them with a few long format enduro only events like AER and Champ.

PCA started the vintage class a bunch of years ago with a few races. It would be cool to see at least one 6 to 8 hour PCA race as a test for the concept using existing classes.
The following users liked this post:
993944S2 (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 10:35 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts
Default From a Region view

Do not lose sight that the CR event "risk" is with the regions, National is always kept "whole". Marketing efforts and financial risk for a particular event are at the region level, while National remains insulated and only markets the overall program. So National has yet to "feel" the pain dealing with financial losses at the region level and isn't set up to help struggling venues/regions, but with regions after losing monies over multiple years, even after adding HPDE run groups to events or even partnering with BMW CCA, have started dropping / cutting back CR events from their calendars. PCA CR use to be a cash cow for the regions, those days are gone for most regions and have been declining for years (with no help from National). Talking with National about the concerns from the region point of view has been less than productive. They see everything as fine (probably because their budgets and perks remain intact) and continue to just fiddle and offer no assistance/incentives to regions to stick with it.

For just one simple example, want to advertise your regions CR event, the region needs to find someone with such graphics art skills to make the actual ad / flyer to be placed. Talk about failed branding... no two event adds look the same. All Le Mons ads are the same format.

PCA CR can't (won't) cater to the low end / entry of the racing market, so you have Le Mons / Champ / AER who become the ever growing entry points. Endurance racing (4+ drivers 1 "cheap" car - 12 to 16 hours of track time in a weekend) is a much more cost effective / low budget / we are in this together (and no Gray Poupon to be found in the paddock). Don't underestimate the feeling of not belonging when you show up with your modest investment in racing and you see car corrals with hostess services while you struggle to get ready for you session. Show up with a beater 924/944 to a PCA CR event and you will not feel the love or have much class competition. Show up with the same Porsche to Le Mons or Champ in the same situation, you feel part of the collective. If you do not start with PCA CR, it will be even harder to get you to switch later. No CR feeder series / strategy for the less well healed, than other race series will beckon and will retain those recruitment investments (see SM).

And over the years, HPDE drivers see how at mixed events they are the second class citizens as CR schedule takes precedent over HPDE run groups, which in itself is not an incentive for A-DE drivers to see CR in a positive light. And recruiting of volunteers to run the events is a growing challenge as the racing is not that exciting / easy to follow as a spectator.

And whatever new ideas come along, the risk is left 100% with the region, few if any will be willing to take that risk. The historic racing class efforts of late are a perfect example of am attempt left to the individuals and regions which failed to take hold as no underwriting from National to grow the program, regions can't take those losses waiting for the program to catch on / grow / succeed / "spread" across regions. That investment needs to come from National with support to grow it.

Under the current model CR requires regions to step up, there is little incentive to do so and as car counts drop, so will regions hosting events. National has offered no solution to this either.

When partnering with BMW CAA, one model is they buy the run group from the PCA region. Maybe National should keep the racer fees and "buy" the run group from the region, that way they take the risk / reward on car counts and make the call on how many run groups at an event and pay their own race costs. That eliminates the risk to the region and would laser focus National on running the Club Race program for growth and profit.
The following 6 users liked this post by Kein_Ersatz:
George from MD (07-28-2024), LuigiVampa (07-25-2024), NastyHabits (07-26-2024), Nowanker (07-25-2024), quickboxster (07-25-2024), tgsmith4845 (07-25-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-25-2024, 11:46 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

100% agree with every one of those suggestions.... Id take any one of them individually, but taken as a group they really make sense together and should eb the roadmap for PCA...

Erik for President !!!!!!
Old 07-25-2024, 12:43 PM
Jared Rodeheaver
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

These are awesome suggestions!

While I do like the idea of the enduro 65 minutes as was the length at the Glen isn't really an enduro so either make them 90 minutes or get ride of them. Sprints could become 40-45 minutes or add more of them to get the same amount of track time.
Old 07-25-2024, 01:06 PM
Jas0nn
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared Rodeheaver
These are awesome suggestions!

While I do like the idea of the enduro 65 minutes as was the length at the Glen isn't really an enduro so either make them 90 minutes or get ride of them. Sprints could become 40-45 minutes or add more of them to get the same amount of track time.
I've always thought these would be better billed/marketed as the "Feature" race ... make them longer than the rest of the sprints (under an hour, no stops) and make them worth more points ...
The following 2 users liked this post by Jas0nn:
Difool (07-25-2024), Jared Rodeheaver (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 01:38 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Do not lose sight that the CR event "risk" is with the regions, National is always kept "whole". Marketing efforts and financial risk for a particular event are at the region level, while National remains insulated and only markets the overall program. So National has yet to "feel" the pain dealing with financial losses at the region level and isn't set up to help struggling venues/regions, but with regions after losing monies over multiple years, even after adding HPDE run groups to events or even partnering with BMW CCA, have started dropping / cutting back CR events from their calendars. PCA CR use to be a cash cow for the regions, those days are gone for most regions and have been declining for years (with no help from National). Talking with National about the concerns from the region point of view has been less than productive. They see everything as fine (probably because their budgets and perks remain intact) and continue to just fiddle and offer no assistance/incentives to regions to stick with it.

For just one simple example, want to advertise your regions CR event, the region needs to find someone with such graphics art skills to make the actual ad / flyer to be placed. Talk about failed branding... no two event adds look the same. All Le Mons ads are the same format.

PCA CR can't (won't) cater to the low end / entry of the racing market, so you have Le Mons / Champ / AER who become the ever growing entry points. Endurance racing (4+ drivers 1 "cheap" car - 12 to 16 hours of track time in a weekend) is a much more cost effective / low budget / we are in this together (and no Gray Poupon to be found in the paddock). Don't underestimate the feeling of not belonging when you show up with your modest investment in racing and you see car corrals with hostess services while you struggle to get ready for you session. Show up with a beater 924/944 to a PCA CR event and you will not feel the love or have much class competition. Show up with the same Porsche to Le Mons or Champ in the same situation, you feel part of the collective. If you do not start with PCA CR, it will be even harder to get you to switch later. No CR feeder series / strategy for the less well healed, than other race series will beckon and will retain those recruitment investments (see SM).

And over the years, HPDE drivers see how at mixed events they are the second class citizens as CR schedule takes precedent over HPDE run groups, which in itself is not an incentive for A-DE drivers to see CR in a positive light. And recruiting of volunteers to run the events is a growing challenge as the racing is not that exciting / easy to follow as a spectator.

And whatever new ideas come along, the risk is left 100% with the region, few if any will be willing to take that risk. The historic racing class efforts of late are a perfect example of am attempt left to the individuals and regions which failed to take hold as no underwriting from National to grow the program, regions can't take those losses waiting for the program to catch on / grow / succeed / "spread" across regions. That investment needs to come from National with support to grow it.

Under the current model CR requires regions to step up, there is little incentive to do so and as car counts drop, so will regions hosting events. National has offered no solution to this either.

When partnering with BMW CAA, one model is they buy the run group from the PCA region. Maybe National should keep the racer fees and "buy" the run group from the region, that way they take the risk / reward on car counts and make the call on how many run groups at an event and pay their own race costs. That eliminates the risk to the region and would laser focus National on running the Club Race program for growth and profit.
You make some excellent points here. There’s opportunity to start treating PCA Club Racing as a one maker series, rather than a collection of individual events put on by individual regions. And yes, PCA CR National should definitely have a stake in it. After all, racers have to join PCA to race.
The following 2 users liked this post by tgsmith4845:
Difool (07-25-2024), Jared Rodeheaver (07-25-2024)

Quick Reply: The Decline of PCA Club Racing