Sponsored by:

Racing Suit recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 09:05 AM
dmilzoff
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default Racing Suit recommendations

OK. So it's time to go further. I do 6 - 8 DEs each season with my 996TT and am looking for a Driver's Suit. I need recommendations for type and source - one piece?; number of layers? one which is relatively cool and I can live with for a while. Do other types of events have specific requirements which would require me to change sometime in the future?
David
Old 05-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

David,

I just picked up a Sparco three layer suit, the Top 5. Sparco is a respected name and makes great suits, with their Top 5 being one of the best and one of the lightest. The Tech 5 and X-Light 300 are even more expensive, even lighter and, commensurately, more fragile than the suit I have, as well as the lower models, but I felt that the Top 5 was a good compromise. BTW, it's the inner liner that makes the suits more delicate and easily damaged, not the outer shell.

I can't recall if the Daytona is thinner than the Top 5 but it has straight leg cuffs, as opposed to elastic cuffs.

You can get cheaper Sparcos that have thicker feeling fabric, but in the middle of summer when you buy your track car two years from now or convert your TT into a pure track car, you might be wishing you spent the extra $300.

Try calling OG Racing or talk to James at Sparco (800-224-RACE) to get more info and then to find a dealer in your area.

Oh, and when I was embarking upon my Holy Grail to find the Top 5 suit in the size and color I wanted, I was told that Sparco and OMP are the big names for us sporty car guys. I'm sure others will chime in with their feedback.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 05-30-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:04 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Mark. 18 months ago I bought a 2 layer Sparco and have to wear long johns to meet the 3 layers requirements of racing. Now I wish I'd spent the extra money for the lighter 3 layer - in fact I will probably upgrade soon. Much greater comfort in the heat!
Old 05-30-2004, 12:05 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

If you have the cash, the Sparco Tech 5 is the lightest and coolest 3 layer out there. I love mine .
Old 05-30-2004, 12:23 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Victor "The Racers Tailor", number at http://www.vasracingsuits.com. He's been making custom racing suits for 25 years. Alot of PCA club racers use him. For the the same price as off-the-shelf you can have it custom fitted and design your own colors, etc.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ColorChange
If you have the cash, the Sparco Tech 5 is the lightest and coolest 3 layer out there.
Actually, in the Sparco line, the X-Light 300 is the lightest, thinnest and coolest model, and at only $200 more than the Daytona or Top 5, not significantly more expensive. There may be other manufacturers that have thinner suits than the X-Light. James at Sparco recommended taking it off as soon as the driver left the car and to not wear it around the paddock or tie it around the waist. He even alluded that just thinking about sandpaper while looking at the suit would cause an abrasion. J/K about the last sentence.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

stand 21 makes some nice suits but they are $1k. The one I have is very comfortable, just like pajamas...
Old 05-31-2004, 12:15 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

I picked up a Momo suit from Dave Schardt at Forgeline. Nice suit and it is comfortable.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:41 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sparco has cheaper 2-layer alternatives to the Top 5 and Daytona's. The Sparco 5 (not top 5) is 2 layer but meets the appropriate SFI certification to replace 3 layer suits for PCA club race, SCCA, and NASA requurements. Price is about $3-400 less than a Top 5 or Daytona. I paid $700 for mine last fall at OG (www.ogracing.com), it's definately cooler than the cheaper Sparcos which use a heavier 2 layer nomex fabric or the 3 layer bottom of the line ones, but still carry the same SFI certification. Talk to Bill at OG and he'll give you the all the info you need.

Also, the customer support folks at Sparco are great for asking additional questions.

One thing to remember - it's important to try them on before you buy, or else to make sure it can be returned if it doesn't fit. The most important measurement is the crotch to shoulder measurement. If it's too short you either won't be able to stand up straight, or else you won't be able to sit in the car and reach the wheel. Too long in the crotch and you'll have trouble latching your sub-belt.

Arms and legs can be shortened (if needed) at your local tailor. The local dry-cleaning shop did mine . Just buy a roll of Nomex thread when you get the suit (pick a color of thread that matches the cuffs, and it won't even show). There's nothing special about how the cuffs are attached, just some simple stitching. The hardest thing is to find the courage to to start cutting a couple of inches off the sleeves of your brand-new $700 suit!

I don't have any experience with the momo suits/OMP/Simpson, etc. But the same applies to them. It really comes down to a personal choice on prince, appearance, weight of suit.

Matt
Old 06-01-2004, 04:35 AM
vegasgolf98
Racer

I have an OMP 3-layer Technica suit, it is very comfortable and looks great "Shuie wears the newer lighter version of the same suit". I would also look at Stand 21 or the more expensive Sparco's. Don't be cheap with the suit, spend the extra 300 bucks and get the best you won't regreat it.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I thought I should mention I ended up getting the suit from PilotRaceGear.com. Andy was super friendly, an F1 gearhead and was nice enough to send me two suits so I could double-check my size.

No affiliation other than a happy, poorer customer.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:28 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark - What color did you end up with? Scott just got one a couple weeks ago and went with White. Just wondering.

Skip
Old 06-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Skip,

I went with the Top 5 with a white chest, gray everything else. It looks quite nice and won't get as dirty as all white, while still offering some benefits for those of us who are thermally challenged.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:48 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

That's the perfect color combo and the combination I had been looking at too. Good luck with it and next weekend.

SKip
Old 06-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Keep checking eBay. Some good deals pop up. I got mine for $400 am F1 Minardi wana be suit

Quick Reply: Racing Suit recommendations