Sponsored by:

Bent wheel....safe on the track??

Old 05-16-2004, 10:09 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Doug;

It's all a matter of degrees. Aluminum is a funny material. It all depends on the alloy used. Some aluminum will bend back and forth till the cows come home. Some will bend once and then snap. Some won't bend at all, just snap.

It depends how much the rim is bent. I'd gather yours is not much and is a good candidate for straightening. Small dings of flat spots can be worked out on a roller or press. I'm not sure I would want a rim that had a piece welded back in, but yours should be fine, assuming I've guessed right on the damage.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:25 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Assuming Mr. Florida at Ernie's is reputable, I would go for the new take-off wheel. It's only $500 minus your trade in... so, the difference is under $200 for a brand new wheel vs. having the bent one repaired.

However, Mr. Florida could be selling rehashed previously repaired rims, too... hmmm.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The whole issue of: do they BEND 'em back or weld/lathe them is eaily adressed...it depends on the damage to the wheel, and what type of wheel, quality of manufacture, or lack thereof.

I would suggest you get your wheel fixed, as it sounds like it's very repairable. The shop that fixes wheels wouldn't take it on if it wasn't.

As suggested before, what do you have to lose?? It should cost around $100 and you may not have to address the issue again.

FWIW, I've had TWO wheels fixed, they were factory Cup II 17" wheels, they continue to thrive on a friend's race car...with NO issues. One just needed some powder coating removed at the mating surface that was making it wobble, the other one had to be "tweaked" back into shape.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:25 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:
Dropped my car off to have the wheel repaired, a couple of days later I get a call from the SA" we're really embarrased...your wheel is fine, it's not bent". Now the car drives fine, no shakes, rattles or rolls. Go figure.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:43 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHOA that's quite a turn around. Anyway to finish off the question. Ernie is a member of the PCA, has a good reputation, and is known to have quality merchandise

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bent wheel....safe on the track??