Sponsored by:

Rolex 24 Hours Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 09:17 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Really is its own thing -- climate, development, etc.
Yup. The Tropics.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:45 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Yup. The Tropics.
The cold rarely makes it south of Lake Okechobee, it’s a totally different ecosystem down here. Hard to get too cold when you’re surrounded by 70 degree water on 3 sides…
The following users liked this post:
FredC (02-02-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 10:59 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
The cold rarely makes it south of Lake Okechobee, it’s a totally different ecosystem down here. Hard to get too cold when you’re surrounded by 70 degree water on 3 sides…
That's where we'll be looking. Jupiter and south, but the more south, the better, (and north of the Miami/Dade line, so Hollywood to Jupiter).

If anyone knows a realtor for that area, please PM me the contact info, thanks.

Not moving there (yet), just another place to run to in the winter.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:02 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,341 Likes on 1,429 Posts

and flat, boring, straight roads @dgrobs
Old 02-01-2023, 11:03 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott P
and flat, boring, straight roads
But the best weather and the best saltwater fishing in North America, short of Conch County.

Also, what part of Florida isn't flat? (not counting the overpasses on I-95).

Last edited by dgrobs; 02-01-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:33 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

very true, pluses and minuses just like anywhere in the country. I did mean all of FL is flat except as you point out, causeways. I never thought about it until I started cycling around FL, you never get a break bc it's flat unlike a hilly area like where I'm from in NY-climb for 7-9 miles to the highest point in the county then a 2-3 mile downhill blast (rest). All good!
Old 02-01-2023, 11:37 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

very true, pluses and minuses just like anywhere in the country. I did mean all of FL is flat except as you point out, causeways. I never thought about it until I started cycling around FL, you never get a break bc it's flat unlike a hilly area like where I'm from in NY-climb for 7-9 miles to the highest point in the county then a 2-3 mile downhill blast (rest). All good!
I'm basically listening to what my wife wants in a place.

She loves the sun, warmth, and fishing. Can't say I disagree with her.
It would also be great to get back on a boat. We retired ours when the 3 kids were born in 2003.
Be really good to get back on the water, and I know some great fishing spots in the Keyes and the reefs and wrecks north of Biscayne Bay and up to PB County.
Use to dive and fish down there all the time, then came the kids...lol.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:48 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 981 Likes on 542 Posts

Summertime especially. 2x miles directly into wall of humidity + swirling but somehow consistent headwinds (how is this possible!?). No elevation needed. Northern elevation mb rides are a nice break.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:59 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

After wintering last year in SW FL and spending time here again these last two months I don't ever want to see another snowflake again. Would love to move here at some point but being a snowbird isn't bad - - just not sure how this whole remote working thing is going to last for me. Naples would my first choice. Hoping to go to Cars on 5th there Saturday.

Grandparents used to live in Boca but I haven't been there in 30 years probably. Lauderdale, West Palm, Delray Beach were all nice, but there's something to be said for being on the west coast and watching the sunset.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:38 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krell
After wintering last year in SW FL and spending time here again these last two months I don't ever want to see another snowflake again. Would love to move here at some point but being a snowbird isn't bad - - just not sure how this whole remote working thing is going to last for me. Naples would my first choice. Hoping to go to Cars on 5th there Saturday.

Grandparents used to live in Boca but I haven't been there in 30 years probably. Lauderdale, West Palm, Delray Beach were all nice, but there's something to be said for being on the west coast and watching the sunset.
How’s the fishing in The Gulf? We can go big game hunting in the ocean. What runs in the Gulf (if you know).
I agree on the sunsets for sure…
Old 02-01-2023, 06:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,342 Likes on 1,897 Posts

How’s the fishing in The Gulf? We can go big game hunting in the ocean. What runs in the Gulf (if you know).
Bruce, if you want to get lost in another good forum, The Hull Truth is the ticket! Good boat and fishing advice updated multiple times a day. Here's the Florida fishing section. https://www.thehulltruth.com/florida-georgia-32/

Me? I'll stick with my year round boating and sailing on the North Carolina coast. At least there are seasons! <grin>
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-01-2023, 06:06 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Bruce, if you want to get lost in another good forum, The Hull Truth is the ticket! Good boat and fishing advice updated multiple times a day. Here's the Florida fishing section. https://www.thehulltruth.com/florida-georgia-32/

Me? I'll stick with my year round boating and sailing on the North Carolina coast. At least there are seasons! <grin>
Gracias…
Old 02-01-2023, 06:58 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Any relation to "Hulls Seafood Restaurant and Market" in Daytona Beach? Had a great meal there Sunday evening.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,342 Likes on 1,897 Posts

Any relation to "Hulls Seafood Restaurant and Market" in Daytona Beach? Had a great meal there Sunday evening.
That’s a great spot, but no relation.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:16 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

We do Grouper and Snapper runs way offshore in the summer. Best Mid-Gulf fishing is the Middle Grounds and the Elbow (80-100 miles offshore respectively from Pinellas County). Grouper move into shallow water in the winter, we can catch keeper Gags trolling in 25' inside Tampa Bay. Further south off Sarasota, and Naples you don't have to go out as far, but there's not the concentrated reef structure as found in the Middle Grounds. The Gulf will also have Mahi, Cobia, King Mackerel, Snapper of every species, Tuna and others, depending on location and time of year.

Quick Reply: Rolex 24 Hours Daytona