Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Is the sport in trouble (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1320810-is-the-sport-in-trouble.html)

LuigiVampa 10-10-2022 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 18403629)
All PCA and BMW regions and private track orgs that I run with (HOD, Chin, Trackmasters, etc.) were all down this year. All of them.
If they weren't down at the beginning of the season, they were surely down by the end of it. Most felt it all season long. Is what it is.

Lots of folks are in much worse economic shape than they were even just a year ago, let alone 2 years ago. Luxuries such as track days and travel have taken a back seat to necessities, like putting food on the table and paying utility bills, mortgages/rent, education, insurance premiums, etc.

The cost of fuel (towing to the track, used at the track, and towing home from the track) had a lot of people I know cutting down their track days, whether it be DE or racing. Everyone's attendance was down.

At the cost of taking this thread off topic, elections have consequences.....

Still waiting to hear about this "NNJR reputation!!

It's not NNJR - it's New Jersey as a whole. :icon107:

Actually, I've done a few DEs before the NJMP club race and never had an issue or felt that they were overly officious at all.

dgrobs 10-10-2022 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 18403642)
Actually, I've done a few DEs before the NJMP club race and never had an issue or felt that they were overly officious at all.

Agree, that's why I asked about our reputation. Always felt NNJR was very welcoming to both new members and out of region folks at our DE's as well.

Also, what does officious mean?

LuigiVampa 10-10-2022 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 18403646)
Agree, that's why I asked about our reputation. Always felt NNJR was very welcoming to both new members and out of region folks at our DE's as well.

Also, what does officious mean?

It means really smelly - just like the rest of Jersey! :corn:

dgrobs 10-10-2022 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 18403663)
It means really smelly - just like the rest of Jersey! :corn:

Clearly you haven't been to Bridgeport, Hartford, or New London recently.....

Carlo_Carrera 10-10-2022 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 18403558)
Huh? What?

All I can tell you is that nearly every time I’m at a non-NNJR DE, club race, or other car event and the subject of an NNJR DE comes up someone has something negative to say. It isn’t just a one off. It happens quite a bit. Take it for what it’s worth, don’t shoot the messenger.

dgrobs 10-10-2022 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera (Post 18403677)
All I can tell you is that nearly every time I’m at a non-NNJR DE, club race, or other car event and the subject of an NNJR DE comes up someone has something negative to say. It isn’t just a one off. It happens quite a bit. Take it for what it’s worth, don’t shoot the messenger.

So NNJR's bad reputation comes up at every other event you are at?

How do those conversations start? "Hey, nice weather, yes?" "Yes, nice day today, and btw, did you know that NNJR sucks to run with?". Is that how it goes at these non-NNJR events?

Do they talk about NNJR in the drivers' meetings at non-NNJR events? "So, everyone please behave out on track, and don't act like you're at an NNJR event?"

And this happens at every event you are at that isn't an NNJR event? NNJR's bad rep comes up at every other event you attend?

LuigiVampa 10-10-2022 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 18403670)
Clearly you haven't been to Bridgeport, Hartford, or New London recently.....

The irony is the Bridgeport is known as "Park City" and New Jersey is known as the "Garden State".

Someone may want to check the validity of both!

dgrobs 10-10-2022 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Deansdream (Post 18403604)
I went out with a non-PCA club that actually didn't require a point by in the upper run groups. Sounded scary, but worked out well. Lots of guys still gave poiint bys but on a long straight, seriously, who needs it. Just one example.

HOD D Group? Super Solo with PBOC at Sebring?

Those are the two I've run with that don't have point by's in the upper run groups, and I absolutely loved it. Kept my head on a swivel the whole time. which was a great learning experience for me when I first ran with these groups.

PGas32 10-10-2022 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera (Post 18403677)

No personal experience running with them, but I can confirm that this reputation exists

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 18403642)
It's not NNJR - it's New Jersey as a whole. :icon107:

That's Jersey Shore Region, not NNJR...they might not be officious, but they don't stop fist pumping

bubba928 10-10-2022 02:27 PM

I've been doing DE for over 30 years and I'm from a small PCA region that cannot hold its own events. So I always run with other PCA regions, including, EMR, RSR, WMR, CGR, MVR, MOR, NOR, ALGR, UCR, AND NNJR. All of these regions have welcomed me as an instructor, now retired, and currently as a solo driver. I like the PCA requirements for DE and there are plenty of other bodies to run with if you don't like PCA's requirements. Just my two cents.

dgrobs 10-10-2022 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by PGas32 (Post 18403798)
No personal experience running with them, but I can confirm that this reputation exists

That's Jersey Shore Region, not NNJR...they might not be officious, but they don't stop fist pumping

Speaking of JSR, where has our buddy Paul been lately? Grey Goose still doing its thing?

ProCoach 10-10-2022 02:45 PM

Man, I’m not seeing a drop off in attendance at VIR. Not at all.

@dgrobs , LV is often officious! :D

De Jeeper 10-10-2022 02:55 PM

Low attendance is a problem accross the board at njmp. I buy a year pass with another org that runs there and they have been light at most events. The promoters over there r all saying the same thing. Im assuming its this way at most tracks. I assume its how people r spending their money as i think mire r going kn family vacations si that leaves less $ for track days?

Although i enjoy pca events i find some groups restrictive in advancing drivers (double edge sword) and they have less amount of track time. Some pca groups r trying to adjust schedules for more track time with open time at the end of the day. It would also be nice if u could pass in a checker flag lap and maybe start introducing the white group to expanded passing.

dgrobs 10-10-2022 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 18403858)
Man, I’m not seeing a drop off in attendance at VIR. Not at all.

@dgrobs , LV is often officious! :D

We are there for our annual 3-day season ender 10/28-10/30. I believe you spke at our event last season at the barn.

As of this posting, there are 153 registered drivers. That is well below what we normally have for this event afaik.

I'm not saying the number of events has dropped off. What I am seeing this season, with multiple groups and PCA & BMW regions, is a drop off in attendnce.

Also, LV is ok in my book. He tries to pose as a tough guy bada$$, but he's really just a pussy cat in a large race suit. (BTW, if you're ever with him and he's eating chicken fingers and fries at Lime Rock, please keep your fingers away from his mouth.)

Maybe there is no drop-off at VIR because everyone wants to come and drive the Coach Peter track.....

I can tell you with reasonable certainty that every region and group I run with has been down significantly this season in terms of attendance.

LuigiVampa 10-10-2022 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 18403880)
We are there for our annual 3-day season ender 10/28-10/30. I believe you spke at our event last season at the barn.

As of this posting, there are 153 registered drivers. That is well below what we normally have for this event afaik.

I'm not saying the number of events has dropped off. What I am seeing this season, with multiple groups and PCA & BMW regions, is a drop off in attendnce.

Also, LV is ok in my book. He tries to pose as a tough guy bada$$, but he's really just a pussy cat in a large race suit. (BTW, if you're ever with him and he's eating chicken fingers and fries at Lime Rock, please keep your fingers away from his mouth.)

Maybe there is no drop-off at VIR because everyone wants to come and drive the Coach Peter track.....

I can tell you with reasonable certainty that every region and group I run with has been down significantly this season in terms of attendance.

I believe I have never portrayed myself as anything but sunshine and sweetness.

I also eat the turkey wrap now as the chicken fingers would repeat going into big bend!