Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Is the sport in trouble (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1320810-is-the-sport-in-trouble.html)

DTMiller 10-13-2022 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 18409241)
Not a fan of people relentlessly ****ting on a region because of "something they didn't like".

Take it up with the region's leadership, amd if you don't get a resolution, drive with another region or club. We all have choices.

What you may not like may be what other people prefer.

There is no reason for anyone to be treated unfair or poorly, but this thread is devolving into stupidity.

Classic CVR snobbery.

LuigiVampa 10-13-2022 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by DTMiller (Post 18409245)
Classic CVR snobbery.

It's not snobbery if we are actually better. ;)

See? I made it into a positive.

dgrobs 10-13-2022 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by DTMiller (Post 18409245)
Classic CVR snobbery.

lol…

dgrobs 10-13-2022 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Streak (Post 18409063)
Huh? You better not sign up for a club race event then.

I won’t. I’m not a good enough driver to race.

LuigiVampa 10-13-2022 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 18409318)
I won’t. I’m not a good enough driver to race.

I don't think anyone is ever "good enough" when they first start racing. Driving heads-up and within your skill level is all that is needed. The rest comes with seat time.

I think you would do fine.

mglobe 10-13-2022 01:48 PM

I doubt that the sport is in trouble. Could be I guess, but I doubt it. As mentioned before, I think the issue with car counts has more to do with the growth in the number of organizations offering track days than with a decrease in participants. There was a time in Texas where you basically had a choice of PCA or TDE for HPDE events. Now you can choose from PCA, TDE, NASA, Edge Addicts, Apex, Chin,... Instead of organizing the rest of your life around when there was a track event, to some extent you can now look and see what events are available when you have a free weekend. I'm sure that's the case around the country. Also, it seems like new tracks are popping up around the US. That's not a sign of a soft market.

WRT people being unhappy with rules and regulations, how the events are run, inspections..., with the added choices, people can vote with their feet/wallet. I've got organizations I like running with, and those that I don't. To some extent it's like eating out. You have a couple of bad meals at a place, and you move on.

Locker537 10-13-2022 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera (Post 18405708)
So how do you feel about instructors with zero mechanical proficiency self-teching? Should everyone have to go through pre-event tech?

Instructors are still required to have a tech inspection completed prior to the event, but are allowed to skip morning tech line. This is how it's done for some PCA regions.

85Gold 10-13-2022 05:15 PM

Reading this reminds me why Chin is my go to for DE.

Peter

dgrobs 10-13-2022 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Locker537 (Post 18409535)
Instructors are still required to have a tech inspection completed prior to the event, but are allowed to skip morning tech line. This is how it's done for some PCA regions.

Yup, our region too.
I still have the tech done on my track cars by my shop as they always have at least one of the cars in their shop. Nut and bolt, tech, done!!!
Skip the tech line but turn in the signed and shop stamped tech form.
I have the tech done by others just to put a second and sometimes third set of eyes on it.
Peace of mind.

dgrobs 10-13-2022 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by 85Gold (Post 18409868)
Reading this reminds me why Chin is my go to for DE.

Peter

I think Metro is moving to more of a Chin format with a 60 or 90 minute happy hour for solo drivers at the end of their events each day.
At Lightning a couple weeks back, it rained the 2nd morning (remnants of Ian), and most everyone left. Then around 11:30 it all
moved out and dried up, but most had already left because of the morning rain. I had the last 90 minutes of the day to myself on track with just 1 other car, a spec Miata.
Keep an eye on Metro if they fully adapt this format. Worth the time and effort to get that 60 minutes minimum of open track.
Metro’s new DE chairs seem to really be heading in a different direction, and for the better for sure. Keep an eye on Metros’ schedule for next season. Could be worth the LookSee.
No affiliation with Metro. Just an attendee and instructor, but a noticeable difference is coming from them. I am starting to see the change. Keep an eye on them for sure.

sdm100 10-14-2022 07:25 AM

Simple answer, avoid PCA and run with SCDA

De Jeeper 10-14-2022 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by sdm100 (Post 18410758)
Simple answer, avoid PCA and run with SCDA

Pretty sure u can instert a name of any org and make a statement like this. I have run with scda several time and i find that they r probably the most expensive with the least amount of track time. They also dont remove pour drivers that r suppose to be solo drivers, that ruin sessions.

Im pretty sure most could make similar comments about most orgs. Not everyone can have a perfect day everytime so this it why there r multiple groups to run with. I have run with 4 pca's and 3 private orgs this year and every group has had their plus and minus.

177mph 10-14-2022 10:02 AM

"There is no reason for anyone to be treated unfair or poorly, but this thread is devolving into stupidity."

First post I agree with.....

docwyte 10-14-2022 11:06 AM

At least here in the Rocky Mtn region, for me, I like running with PCA the most. I get the most clear track time with them, they run a nice, tight event, people are pleasant and friendly. I don't care to run with NASA time trials anymore, it was getting way, way too competitive and they lump HPDE3 in with 4. BMW club is much more of a learning drivers school, which while nice, isn't what I'm looking for. Open track days are the wild, wild west, so are sketchy and oddly hard to get clean laps at.

ProCoach 10-14-2022 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 18409388)
I don't think anyone is ever "good enough" when they first start racing. Driving heads-up and within your skill level is all that is needed. The rest comes with seat time.

I think you would do fine.

+1000! on BOTH!