Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shenandoah Circuit, new track ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 10:52 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Shenandoah Circuit, new track ...

vapor track, or for real? Seen enough "updates" to become skeptical. If you think it's going to open - when? The track to nowhere is paved with good intentions. Thanks.

Edit - I've signed up for a May event, wondering whether there's any chance ....
Old 04-20-2004, 11:36 PM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

It's for real. I doubt the May events will make it though. Maybe July or September time frame before its done. I am just speculating but thats based on the latest rumors I've heard.

-KJ
Old 04-20-2004, 11:57 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to Summit Point's website, all the May events on Shenadoah Circuit have been cancelled. They still show events in June, but I was there this past weekend and it doesn't look like they've done anything since the last time I was there a month ago, so I think that's questionable.

Summit Point Schedule
Old 04-21-2004, 12:03 AM
wch
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the update. Hope they eventually complete the track.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:04 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will complete, I think its just taking longer because Bill Scot is doing a lot of the excavation/construction "in house" which is not always the more efficient but better on the check book.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:57 AM
John Brown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove the complete circuit Sunday (in a Cayenne of course). At first glance the track appears much as it did when we took these pictures Feb 27: http://users.adelphia.net/~johnbrown...ebruary_27.htm

There are some changes though that I'm sure represent more work than appears.

The roadbed appears completely graded in dirt for the complete circuit. Don't know what this is called in roadbuilder terms. Shoulders are not graded all the way around though.

Dirt ramps up to the bridge are built up more but still not complete.

Stakes can be seen marking the location of some retaining walls.

More drain pipe has been laid.

Saw concrete foundation work for small buildings in the paddock.

As stated previously all May events for SC have been removed from the BSR website. You'll have to make your own guess going forward.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

vapor track, or for real? Seen enough "updates" to become skeptical.
You have got to be kidding me??

I don't think Bill Scott would get into something this deep and allow it to turn into a "vapor".

It seems construction on the Shenandoah Circuit continues, John's site is proof that he is probably one of the "bigger" people that are in the know. Not just anyone would be allowed to drive around the construction site and take pics.

PRAY that this is no "vapor track".
Old 04-22-2004, 11:15 AM
wch
Rennlist Member

Love that WSR!!!!

Jeff, I haven't seen the circuit myself, so I have no way of knowing whether anything is happening. All I know is that a lot of folks have had to cancel events, and it seems like the completion date has been a moving target.

I wish Bill Scott only the best - anybody who wants to build a new track a little more than an hour from my house is my hero ....
Old 04-22-2004, 11:31 AM
DAR951
Pro

Actually had a chance to drive the carousel portion a few weeks ago, at Mr. Scott's suggestion. (Didn't have to "suggest" twice). Drove it in both directions too (also at his suggestion).

Have to say, while that short ride didn't assuage any of the concern about how it will work as part of a full circuit run at speed, it DID put a very big grin on my face....
Old 04-22-2004, 12:48 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

I drove it in the X5 in March and currently hold the track record- 15 minutes, 32.7 seconds including a smoke break. I would have been faster but the wife was yelling at me to slow down.

It sounds like they still have a lot to do but it should be one heck of track when its finished. That little over the rise right hander down the hill esses kind of thing after the Caroussel should be a real hoot.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

WCH, thanks for the compliment on my Toyota racer.

FWIW, I didn't want to sound like I was making you a sceptical of ridicule...rereading my comments, I had to jump back and realize how sarcastic it sounded.

Sorry.

It is real, I have seen the construction myself, but it was last November...so I have to rely on John's BRILLIANT and updated website for now.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:00 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

They are still working on it....alot. Just got back from the track there and if you want to get some track time on one of those huge honker dump trucks, then that's the place to be!!!! There are a ton of 'em there!!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:05 AM
John Brown
Instructor

Sunday, 4-25, appears the dumps trucks may have been carrying gravel. Stayed on top of the hill; but from a distance it appeared the unpaved sections now have a layer of gravel. And, lots of the 'Jersey barriers' have been delivered and are stockpiled. Some barriers have been set 'drivers left' leading into the Carousel.

This provides some nice visible signs of progress. Just remember that it is going to take a LOT of barriers and then tires etc.

Quick Reply: Shenandoah Circuit, new track ...