Sponsored by:

Fuel cell advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Shaun 84 Targa
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel cell advice needed

I would like to put a 22 gallon ATL box-type fuel cell in my 73 project GT-3S car and run AN6 lines back to the 3.2. Will have a Carrera fuel pump up front.

Any thoughts on dimensions that best fit the front end?

Any pics on installs?

Thanks so much.

Shaun
Old 04-13-2004, 02:04 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Shaun;

This may not be much help since it is the Fuel Safe 911-specific cell, but here it is anyway.

I might suggest you either use the existing steel line in the tunnel or fabricate a new one for the long trip back to the engine, and then use SS on either end where flex is helpful/necessary. This will be perfectly acceptable from a mechanical standpoint and also save you a lot of money considering what SS hose costs.

Also, I don't know what HP you are looking at, but you might need to consider -8 if it will be a competitive output engine with slide valve and such. Just a thought. You might want to also consider using teflon lined hose instead of the more common synthetic rubber. The teflon liner is impervious to any wild fuel additives you find these days. The only drawback here is that it can be hard to source in anything but large quantities. Most warehouses only stock -3/-4 in teflon for use on hydraulic hoses.

The only advantage to the Fuel Safe cell pictured above is that it sits pretty low in the chassis (in the existing tank hole). I don't know how serious your chassis is, but I might consider just hogging out the whole front pan and re-sheeting it so you could drop your rectangular cell down nice and low.

Just a thinkin!

Old 04-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Shaun 84 Targa
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John, thanks for the write up and great pics! What a fantastic car! Mine is in the build phase, just have a completely stripped out 73 tub that will start going together very soon.

The car is on a serious budget this year, so a 911-specific tank is not in the budget this year. thanks for the advice on the AN6 v 8 lines. It's just getting a stock 3.2 now (definitely not a competitive car this year) but I could see a hot 3.4 going into in a year or 2.

Thanks again.

Shaun
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2004, 10:09 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...

Looking at that picture, I'd say your at least $100K and 2-300lbs from being competitive! Have fun!

Look here for ideas! http://redlinerennsport.homestead.com/RaceCraft1.html

350HP, 1950lbs Wet!

Quick Reply: Fuel cell advice needed