Sponsored by:

Rear tow hook 911

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 02:14 AM
Eric Smith
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear tow hook 911

I am supposed to put a rear tow hook on my 1969 Vintage 911 race car.
It has all steel bumper and needs a front a rear tow hook that is acceptable to the SCCA tech guy. My trailer tie down hooks are too low in case it is in the gravel traps.
Any ideas on how and where to mount and buy?
Thanks,
Eric
Old 03-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Eric, I never considered how lucky us late-model 911 owners were, as with the short hood 911s on up, we can use screw in hooks, from our tool kits!

I have seen all kinds of tow hook setups for the older cars, and the 944s...I would suggest contacting someone like Dave White Racing in Tampa, ask for Michael Baker, or Dave, of course and tell 'em Jeff sent ya.

I know Michael races a couple of different SVRA/Vintage 911s, and well prepared ones at that...I'm quite certain he could help you out.

The other place that comes to mind is GT Racing - with all the fiberglass bodyparts they make for early, late and current 911s, that eliminate the front and rear bumper supports...I would imagine they have a tow hook setup. I know they offer some nice tie down hooks as well.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:22 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Autometrics makes a beautiful rear tow loop which bolts to the engine case halves. I have one and it is very nice, also provides a rear jack point (if you are comfortable with Wayne Dempsey's assurance that it is fine to jack the car up using the engine case) http://www.autometricsmotorsports.co...HIJP/index.htm
It is not what you would call a cheap solution, however...
B
Old 03-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, I neglected to mention Gordon's handy towhook...I have seen it, good design.

FWIW, I ALWAYS jack up the rear of my 964 via the engine...did the same on my SC as well. Just make sure your motor mounts are in good shape.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:41 AM
Eric Smith
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Rear tow hook 911