Sponsored by:

Just Bought A Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 07:33 AM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought A Track Car

I just a bought a C Stock 993 track car from a friend. It is awesome!!! Looks good, sounds good and it has all of the goodies. I have had a few different street cars but never a real track toy.

So now I am wondering how to proceed.

Do I obsess over the little scratches? Get bumpers resprayed and stone guarded?

Do I try to put the stereo back in so I can at least have some tunes while I am bedding pads and toolin' around the paddock?

Do fix the intermittent horn?

Do I try to do something about the asphyxiating smell of the exhaust?
Should I be worried about this? It has cat-bypass.

Do I tag the car so I can drive it to my buddy's house on a nice day or to my mechanics?

Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
PS Thanks to Will for all of your help.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:03 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

The answer depends on your ultimate goal. Making the car streetable will sacrifice some degree of track features. My car was a C stock 993. Driving it on the street was no fun once the suspension and other mods were completed. Very low, loud, rough riding and who wants to have a flat 10 miles from home with no spare tire. The fact that you are considering some street use makes me think the car is not fully set up for racing. Do you have a full cage and safe race seat? If so getting in and out of the car is a chore. Since the car races C then it must be RS spec ? Racing and practice 20 days a year will produce plenty of chips on the car. Every winter layup just have it re sprayed.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't worry about any of the things you've mentioned. If its already a dedicated track car, then trying to make it streetable will be a step backwards. If I were you my number one priority would be learning to drive it on the track. That will be a big challenge if you don't already have a lot of track experience. You're money will be best spent on track time.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:33 AM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

Bill,

Don't get me wrong this car is a track/race car. Full cage, fuel cell, monoballs the works. I have no intention of making it more streetable from a suspension-handling-performance standpoint. Just not used to see the car just siting there

It is a chore to get in and out. And the light weight flywheel tends to stall the car at inopportune moments. Do you have your car registered? Is it insured at all? For when it is on the trailer or parked in your driveway or garage?
Old 03-16-2004, 08:37 AM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

Jim, got about 12,000 track miles over various tracks around the country in different cars. Never owned a car I CAN'T drive on the street
Just feels weird
Old 03-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car is street/off track insured. I kept the tags up to date for the first two years of racing but they have now expired. Emissions test would be a problem with headers only.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:47 AM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

hmmm makes good sense. Here in MI no emissions test so I could still get away with it. You used to have supercup exhaust right?
What are the turn down lookin' things right off the headers? They have rubber or plastic flaps too?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:57 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Congratulations on your new toy! I rarely see my car between events. I miss her badly
Old 03-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to C! I wouldn't worry about the paint. I wouldn't bother with the radio. Horn? Who would hear it?

Gas exhaust is an issue though, make sure all the exhaust bolts and connections are tight. Maybe the wind was blowing the exhaust back into the car, but Carbon Monoxide is not something to take lightly.

Tagging it is your decision, it is easier to drive the car than to set up the towing rig if it is just a quick trip to the shop, etc.

Again, welcome to C! What/whose car did you buy?
Old 03-16-2004, 11:50 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Could be Glens 993 turbo?
Old 03-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by bill walczak
Could be Glens 993 turbo?
If that is the case then I think he would have a lot more fun in GT-1. C class is way too slow.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great idea. GT1 is a unlimited financial commitment. GT2R is not far behind. GT2S seems to be a almost stock mix that are slow enough to not require slicks to get the power down. A kinder, gentler class, 2S. Given the choice I would stay in C if you are keeping the car stock.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Bill,
You aren't helping matters any.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I still have my C stock racer tagged. Since I live ten minutes from the shop, it easier to just drop it off then to go and pick up the trailer and load it up. It's also good for test drives around the impromptu 'test track' in the business park

Like Bill said, driving on some roads is not fun at all. My kids beg me to pick them up from school in it, so I usually do that several times a year...since it has a roll cage, it's one a day and with three kids, that's alot of picking up
Old 03-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Manny,

That is a great reason for having the car tagged. The kids must love the commotion of a race car pulling up to the school.

Quick Reply: Just Bought A Track Car