Sponsored by:

Just Bought A Track Car

Old 03-16-2004, 02:00 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CMM
I second Greg's advice on the exhaust, that is the only issue I would be concerned about. My advice (as limited as it is) is to do whatevery you want to make the car more enjoyable, but do it slowly. As the "new car" effect wears off you may find that you will not drive the car on the street. As for the radio, a buddy of mine likes to blast "I can't drive 55" or Sheryl Crow's LeMans song before he qualifies.

Horn????Just give a blast of the go pedal. Anything in your way will probably be scared out of it.

Enjoy. You going to Mid Ohio or Gingerman?
Old 03-16-2004, 02:46 PM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg, thanks for the advice, the Mrs. thinks that I keep takin' the car out and wail on the brakes, but that's not the smell. If I leave the car running in the garage the smell is really strong in the cockpit for many mins after.

Tagging the car was primarily to have the abilty to drive it to the shop for work or my buddy's house with the lift. Getting a lowered 993 on and off the trailer is notatop my list of things to do each week.

Don't think you guys know this car. My friend has not been "C" classing much lately. He has done some enduros with it but he changed professions a couple of years ago so he has not had much time.

95 with G50, RS fly, PSS9s, monoballs, big reds, wing like yours Greg,

r u guys tryn' to get me to lose my shirt? I'm not movin' into those classes!

Manny no kids so wont be do-in that

Old 03-16-2004, 02:50 PM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

Jeff I will be at Gingerman and Mid Ohio this year but not racing. I have 12 events on my Calander, most 2-3 day DEs to get to know the car. I may not race this year. I am trying to build my business and have fun at the same time. I may enter the Gingerman Enduro

C
Old 03-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Put the race at Putnam park in July and/or Sept. It is a great track to start your racing career. Fairly easy to learn the track and lots of run off room if needed.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the same questions about tags/insurance. I opted to get tags for the same reason you cite (ability to drive it to the shop) and since it has tags, it needed insurance. I got the minimum insurance (liability, no collision) to keep it cheap. It also covers theft.

I have no problem with no radio and no AC and doubt you will want them once you are at the track.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

"Fairly easy to learn the track and lots of run off room if needed." Greg F

That is what I told a Rookie Candidate on his first race day at CMP two weeks ago. I think he lost respect for my advise after I ran out of run off room.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:51 PM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

Greg, have you done anything to your Motor?

Bill, are you still in "C" or did you go up to GT
Old 03-17-2004, 01:06 AM
agentpennypacker
Pro

May I ask what typically is competitive in the 2S class?

Also, what price range does the C class 993's run?

I'm going to run F stock for a few seasons, then move up once I get into my 30's and can afford something! Until then, "Track" car to work and back!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:22 PM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Where did Glenn's turbo end up?

Just wondering. Shoulda's Coulda's Woulda's
Old 03-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Jason R
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey CMM,

Glad to hear you finally got the car. Chris (the prev. owner) was pretty sad to see it go. Glad that it's staying in the family, so to speak.

You should ask Chris about the exhaust issue. I don't recall this from last year, but at the very least, he can put you in touch with his tech who might have some ideas.

I don't think the horn or stereo will be worth while since the car's so loud. Save your money to put tires on all those damn wheels you've now got

Greg's suggestion about Putnam Park sounds like a good idea. You can do the BMW event there in June with me as a test and tune for the July event.

See you soon.

Jason
Old 03-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, CMM,

Just catching up on my Rennlist reading and saw your thread. Congratulations on the 993 - it's a neat car.

CMM and I (and Jason, see above) have been chasing each other around the Midwest tracks for quite a while. My '87 Carrera track car won't be able to keep up with CMM's 993 now, so I'm buying a '95 RS clone. It's got the RS transmission/flywheel/clutch but no 3.8 engine. CMM and I also plan to eventually do enduros together with his car.

Again, congratulations, and I can't wait to see you guys on the track next month!

Will

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just Bought A Track Car