Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 09:55 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 944 Fuel Cell Installation - Revisited

Hey All;

The install progresses. I can basically say to everyone that this project can't be done. I could never have afforded to pay me to do all this work. I'll be in it for under $1200 in parts (this includes a dry break system!), but the labor would be extreme. The Kokeln / Worldwide Motorsports cell at $1800 is still monumentally expensive, but looks a lot better now. The only other solution is to buy a smaller cell, or two small cells and then you have a lot of custom plumbing to do. If anyone is interested in my research, let me know and I'll share what I've learned.

Clue 1 that something is afoot. Look Closely!

Looking behind Door #1 reveals...

Yes, as you might note, the gas door and the pocket had to be recontoured to fit back there.

Now it get's deep!

The frame has been sectioned out and boxed to gain width for the cell. The preceeding 1.75" tube saddled on top of the OE frame rail has been bolstered by another one sectioned in right below it to create a smaller but hopefully stronger assembly. The original side inner quarter panel (the one with the jack point) was removed and the beveled panel you see is a fabricated replacment that sits 2.5" outward from the old (it runs directly veritcal from the quarter seam). I moved into the wheelwell 1.5" and even with that there is a scant 1.2" clearance to the trans.

Here's the goods!

Everything that could possibly be in the way was... like the pre-existing panel-holding square-tube crossmember that had to be modded to clear the filler. The SS fuel line is awaiting metric-to-AN adapters and enough correctly sized Adel clamps, and the vent (capped blue port / steel to rubber return laying in front of the cell) is also awaiting fittings.

Determined to salvage the existing interior panels.

What's a little more fabricating? Just a little welding and filing! The original hole for the fuel hose up front still needs welding in.

Relocated!

The fuel pump used to be on the lower inner wheelhousing. I moved bracket and all to the back of the "can."

That's enough for now!
Old 03-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

John, that is a lot of work! Thanks for sharing. Why not the Kokeln? Lack of capacity? (17gal it think)
Old 03-11-2004, 10:35 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Um...no...

Lack of a personal fortune! Kokeln = $1800-2500 (depending on vender I guess). Then you gotta get it in. JAZ = $187. Get it?

As I say, I'm into it for under $1200, and $500 of that easily is the dry break!

Last edited by RedlineMan; 03-12-2004 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:53 PM
Geo
Race Director

Very nice work John.

I love the filler door repositioning.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:07 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great work John!!

Are all of those rollbars spoken for that you have stacked in the corner ?
Old 03-12-2004, 08:09 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Geo -

The gas door move was very last minute. Classic case of Ants-in-the-Pants. I built everything while the stupid female portion of the dry break was on back order. When it arrived I realized there was no way my original plan of running the filler hose would work. Moving the filler pocket was a reluctant and last-minute Plan B.

David -

Sharp eyes, dude! Get off yer duff boy and get one. Yes I built extras. One could go to Tennessee if you get motivated!
Old 03-12-2004, 08:51 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

So now the question that must be asked is: What kind of fuel mileage is everyone seeing on their track cars, and with this size cell, can that get you to the mid-way fueling point in an enduro? I'm not too interested in spending Kokeln type money either. I know this cell is fine for a sprint race, but is it big enough for an enduro?
Old 03-12-2004, 12:31 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by RedlineMan
David -

Sharp eyes, dude! Get off yer duff boy and get one. Yes I built extras. One could go to Tennessee if you get motivated!
Put my name on a black rollbar !

Give me a total and where you want the money sent.

Hows that for motivated
Old 03-13-2004, 01:12 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Sea;

I can run all day on the OE tank. Ahhh... the joys of having no horsepower! I figure 2 runs per tank with some to spare now that I'm down to 12g.

I know that I could do a double ATL SP110 ($489/10 gallons each) setup, one on each side of the trans. The plumbing would be a bit of work, but it could be done. $1000 for just the cells was out of my budget.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:17 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

David;

You have a PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:18 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Hey Sea;

I can run all day on the OE tank. Ahhh... the joys of having no horsepower! I figure 2 runs per tank with some to spare now that I'm down to 12g.

I know that I could do a double ATL SP110 ($489/10 gallons each) setup, one on each side of the trans. The plumbing would be a bit of work, but it could be done. $1000 for just the cells was out of my budget.
Let's say you are getting 8mpg out of a high horsepower track motor (just a wag on my part seeing as no one responded to my question), that gives me 96 miles to play. How many miles are guys getting in 1/2 of an enduro (before mandatory pit stop)?
Old 03-13-2004, 02:12 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

David;

You have a PM.
Thanks, replied
Old 03-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John,

Cool job. Did I miss how many Gals it holds? I was at Nashville Super yesterday, and a guy from Mich had a regular square cell in his 924S on the rear deck, he said the raised CG didn't bother him, I didn't stick around to see how he did. (Only three cars in his class, him a 16Valve Mercedes, a BMW 323.)

I didn't make the race because the water temp maxed, and I guess I didn't bleed it well enough. I quit working on it late Fri, too late to make the race, DRAT!!!!
Old 03-14-2004, 07:57 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Bill L Seifert
John,

Cool job. Did I miss how many Gals it holds? I was at Nashville Super yesterday, and a guy from Mich had a regular square cell in his 924S on the rear deck, he said the raised CG didn't bother him, I didn't stick around to see how he did. (Only three cars in his class, him a 16Valve Mercedes, a BMW 323.)

I didn't make the race because the water temp maxed, and I guess I didn't bleed it well enough. I quit working on it late Fri, too late to make the race, DRAT!!!!
Bill,

What kind of race was in Nashville ? something close and I miss it !!!!
Old 03-14-2004, 08:23 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Bill;

Mine is a 12g cell, enough for an N/A.

I guess looking at it from the end perspective, raising the CG is not so bad after all. Definitely the lesser of two evils it seems from hindsight. It does SIGNIFICANTLY raise it, but the work necessary to get around that trans makes it more appealing.

The shortest cell I know of in any decent capacity is the ATL SP122A, 22g, at 8.5". It is $600+. If I'd skipped my dry break system, I could have afforded this. It would DEFINITELY been easier to install.

Quick Reply: 944 Fuel Cell Installation - Revisited