Sponsored by:

944 Fuel Cell Installation - Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

John,
I have been looking at that particular ATL cell. It appears the cell can be sunk somewhat in the car if the rear shelf is removed. However, it would still raise the CG some.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:59 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep;

That bugger of a shift stabilizer sticks right up there. You'll end up with about half that cell above floor line. That's quite roughly 90lbs. It is also a moving 90lbs at that. Since it is not a low-sump design like the OE tank, you are raising the CG significantly. I'd wager at least 60% of that 22g in that position is above the OE tank, which has most of its capacity significantly lower.

This may just be idle worry in reality, but on paper or off the top of the noggin it sounds less than ideal.

Still, as I offered from my experience, it may be worth it.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

John,
Another cell I have looked into is the Fuel Safe 18 gal cell, FS-SM118B. This particular cell is 33 1/2 x 20 x 6 1/2. I would need a little more fuel if I didn't want to do a big dump on re-fuel in an enduro. Sometimes I really miss my 95 M030 968, run all day on a tank of gas. Back to the point. If you fabricated a small 3 gal aluminum cell as a sump and hung it low it would help in the CG issue.

I helped a friend with this once. Run a low pressure high flow pump from the main cell to the sump cell. Out of that cell run a high pressure pump to the fuel rail. The rail return goes to the sump cell and an overflow from the sump goes to the return of the main cell. This keeps the sump cell full 100% of the time. Does add an extra pump and the plumbing isn't as complicated as it sounds.

If I go this route I'll be sure to document the carnage and post it here.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:06 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally posted by Alan C.
John,
Another cell I have looked into is the Fuel Safe 18 gal cell, FS-SM118B. This particular cell is 33 1/2 x 20 x 6 1/2. I would need a little more fuel if I didn't want to do a big dump on re-fuel in an enduro. Sometimes I really miss my 95 M030 968, run all day on a tank of gas. Back to the point. If you fabricated a small 3 gal aluminum cell as a sump and hung it low it would help in the CG issue.

I helped a friend with this once. Run a low pressure high flow pump from the main cell to the sump cell. Out of that cell run a high pressure pump to the fuel rail. The rail return goes to the sump cell and an overflow from the sump goes to the return of the main cell. This keeps the sump cell full 100% of the time. Does add an extra pump and the plumbing isn't as complicated as it sounds.

If I go this route I'll be sure to document the carnage and post it here.
That sounds like a good plan. Where are you thinking of droping the 3 gal container into? And what dimensions are we looking at?
Old 03-15-2004, 08:15 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Alan;

Look into Jaz Products if you would like to use an actual fuel cell for a sump tank. They make all manner of 1-2-3-4-5g cells for dragsters, mini sprints, and such.

Any way you look at it, it's just a brutal job!
Old 03-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

John,
When we tried one of the small JAZ cells there was a problem with leakage since the small cell is under a partial pressure. That's why we went with the fabricated aluminum cell. It was a total weld job with only AN fittings.

SeaCay,
As for the size of the second cell a 10"x10"x10" would be plenty. Which may fit into the right rear corner. It could also be shortened to fit.

First track event is 4 weeks. My smart side says waite to do the mod my dumb side says go ahead. My dumb side usually wins.

Quick Reply: 944 Fuel Cell Installation - Revisited