raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

That's sad news...nice guy
Old 02-07-2020, 01:11 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

RIP Peter. Very sorry to learn this. Was always a nice guy on the few interactions we had, as recently as May.

Is there info? I couldn’t find anything. I will donate to the IMRRC in his memory.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Cancer

He passed yesterday
Old 02-07-2020, 01:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

I've been really bummed out about this for a few weeks. In the fall he was battling and seemed to be winning, but it went downhill. I spent a few hours with him after one of the surgeries and he was upbeat and doing well. I sent him a text a few weeks ago and didn't hear back and knew the worst was coming. Peter Krause and I were talking about him at Road Atlanta and were both really saddened knowing this would come.

Peter Argetsinger was such a great guy. Awesome driver, terrific coach, fantastic story teller, and an even better friend. It's cold and raining in the Northeast today and I would like to think it's the world crying having lost Pete. RIP brother.
The following 7 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
Coochas (02-07-2020), dgrobs (02-13-2020), Difool (02-09-2020), mlct (02-07-2020), mrbill_fl (02-07-2020), ProCoach (02-07-2020), Swift17 (02-09-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-07-2020, 01:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Peter and I worked together in SBRS, SVRA and with some very generous private clients and friends for a couple decades. I can't tell you how much this hurts, right now.

The memories of Simon Kirkby, Pete and I drinking good wine, going on and on, with great friends and often late into the evening, will never leave me.

They broke the mold... A remarkable man and a grand, driving spirit! Prayers to Sjoukje and the family.

IMRRC will likely make an announcement about the memorial.

Old course, Watkins Glen
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 02-07-2020 at 03:09 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Coochas (02-07-2020), LuigiVampa (02-07-2020), mrbill_fl (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 01:51 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

RIP Peter. You took the final checker way too early. You will be missed!
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Coochas (02-07-2020)

Trending Topics

Old 02-07-2020, 02:02 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Very sad news - It seems like we are loosing more and more of the guys that made this sport so magical
Old 02-07-2020, 03:17 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Peter was a great guy and I never missed a chance to have him in my car when I was at WGI.

A true gentlemen racer!
Coochas (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 03:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

You all said it so well. He was one of a kind. He and I had a blast, and for years have been referring coaching clients to each other if we had a scheduling conflict.

One of my fondest memories with him: we were both coaching at PBOC Winterfest at Sebring one year. One of the organizers, who also owns Foreign Affairs in Ft Lauderdale, Bob Varela, had just gotten a new Cayman GTS. He was interested in some baseline data and video so he asked both Peter and I if we would drive it and see what it would do. We drove on the same day but at opposite ends of the day, and our best lap time was EXACTLY the same. To the tenth! We had great fun that night along with Bob Varela at the Watering Hole drinking and talking **** about those identical laps
Old 02-07-2020, 03:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

A true gentlemen racer!
Absolutely true!

I think many who have been around this sport consider the Argetsinger family part of America's road racing royalty.

His father, Cameron, was a law student at Cornell and was one of the earliest members of the SCCA in 1948 when he became the organizer for (and competitor in) the first Watkins Glen Grand Prix. Cam Argetsinger was instrumental and the driving force to locate the purpose-built course where it is today in 1956 and was THE organizer the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen from 1961 to 1980.

So Peter was from very good stock. Both he and his brother Michael raced in Europe for many of their formative years, and Peter was the head instructor at the Brands Hatch School of Motor Racing for awhile.

Returning to the US, he was a class winner in the first Petit LeMans in 1998. He definitely had the chops.

But more so, he inspired, mentored, led, laughed with and helped thousands, maybe tens of thousands to learn the art of motor racing. He and I had long discussions about how the science had crept in more and more, but we both loved talking about and sharing our experiences of the art of racing and high performance driving, usually over many glasses of wine.

I didn't see him as often as I would have liked, but we could pick up the conversation as if no time had elapsed since the last place we shared some wine or a meal. I'll miss him. Very much.

Thank you, Todd, for reminding us that Pete was certainly, in the best possible way, a gentleman racer, and a racing gentleman.
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
LuigiVampa (02-07-2020), paradocs98 (02-08-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 03:53 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 260 Posts

Oh no oh no oh no oh no

He was truly the "mayor" of WG and one of the nicest people I've ever met; you couldn't go anywhere there and not be reminded of him and his family, be it the Research Center or the tiles on Franklin St......always had a kind word re the Mini and was free with his tips for getting around that track. That's just terrible.......wishing the best for his family.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:58 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

This is so sad.
I got to know Peter quite well with all the days I did at The Glen the past few seasons.
Had him in my right seat more than a few times. Great coach and great all around guy.

Quick Peter story:

I think it was 2 seasons ago. I was out in black and Peter was in someone's BMW in the right seat.

As I came out of the esses, I saw the yellow waiving frantically up ahead.

I slowed down and saw the BMW that Peter was in was upside down against the wall coming out of the bus stop. Thankfully, everyone was OK and it was black flag all.

When Peter and the driver finally got back to the garages, I saw Peter was bleeding on top of his head. I went over and asked if he was ok and if he knew he was bleeding. He said yeah, but it wasn't from rolling the BMW.

I had no idea what he was talking about. I said "but your head is bleeding. Are you sure you're ok?"

Peter said, the head wound wasn't from the car rolling on its roof. He said he was mowing his lawn the day before and a branch fell on his head and cut him. I really had to hold back laughter, and was really glad everyone was ok.

He was a true gentleman who loved the sport and loved teaching others.

It will be strange not to see him in the paddock this season.

G-d speed Peter. You are missed. Very sad....
LuigiVampa (02-08-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 05:09 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Good guy. Sad day.
God speed, Peter.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:09 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the world's great guys. I'm so privileged to have known him and call him a friend. His life story is the the stuff of legends, living in the back of a bakery van with Sjoukje and his Formula Ford, competing all over Europe. He was one of the funniest, happiest, and most genuine people I've ever known. He helped me a lot as a coach, but my best times with him were out to dinner, having a beer, just sitting around talking. This is heartbreaking to all who knew him.

"Brake sooner, brake less". RIP my friend.
ProCoach (02-07-2020)

Quick Reply: RIP to my very good friend Peter Argetsinger