Quick release hub

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 03:40 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Quick release hub

I have a 993 airbag wheel and want to know what I need to buy in order to have a quick release steering wheel set up. I guess I am confused as to whether I need a Momo hub adaptor and a quick release apparatus or do I just need the quick release apparatus? Assume I will be using a Momo wheel. I find this very confusing for some reason.

Is there somone you guys would recommend I talk to and purchase from?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

John,
Call Dave Schardt at Wheel Source. His website is www.wheel1.com and phone # is on there.

I think I have just a quick release on my car, but if you want the wheel closer to you, you can use both. Also ask John Wright, he has my car now so should be able to see exactly the set up I have.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:31 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks Greg. I spoke with John Wright last fall and he highly recommends the Porsche Motorsport (oval) quick release. It is quite pricey when compared to others. So I was just looking at the alternatives.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:47 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

i'd call Ron at http://www.discoveryparts.com/. He was at Road Atlanta a couple weeks ago and he had a quick release that fits the momo bolt pattern. So with this and a momo adapter you could run a momo wheel. I can't recall the price but his prices are very good.

-no affiliation, yadayada
Old 02-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by John H
Thanks Greg. I spoke with John Wright last fall and he highly recommends the Porsche Motorsport (oval) quick release. It is quite pricey when compared to others. So I was just looking at the alternatives.
John,
I use this quick release and I have been happy with it, I am familiar with the PM part and it is the best but, damn, you certainly pay for it. I think I remember it costing close a set of Hoosiers....

http://www.smartracingproducts.com/P...20Comforts.htm

You do need the MOMO adapter but just the regular one not the extended one, in my experience at least.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:52 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

I have the smart racing product too. Great for precision, no slop input and steering feel, but I wish there was a way to place it in only a single position.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:57 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

I found a decent deal on a "splined" quick release kit from LTBMotorsports for $139. It seems like the best price I have found for a splined version (which supposedly minimized "slop"), so I thought that I'd share the discovery.

Does anyone have experience with these units, or know of a better option?

Thanks.

Erick
Old 03-18-2004, 07:26 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

I found a decent deal on a "splined" quick release kit from LTBMotorsports for $139. It seems like the best price I have found for a splined version (which supposedly minimized "slop"), so I thought that I'd share the discovery.

Thanks.

Erick
Old 03-19-2004, 12:24 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RSAErick

Thanks.

Erick
Well, I sort of have experience with them. We will be making them for the same price. I have a prototype and am attaching a photo of the prototype. We're getting ready to order the production pieces. Looks like LTB (a great company BTW) and we use the same or very similar QR piece. It's high quality with only the slightest perceptable play. Very very slight.

For the 944/951 we also have these that do not require a MOMO hub adapter (sadly we cannot configure them for the 911 variants).

http://www.nissport.com/catalog/cate...=Quick+Release

Here's the prototype "universal" QR we are going to be offering. The production units will attach to the MOMO hub with the same tapered bolts as used to attach the steering wheel leaving no protruding bolts to smash your fingers into (as a friend of mine does with his LTB unit).
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Quick release hub