Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone completely lost interest in their street car?

Old 10-19-2019, 11:43 AM
Tim the Engineer
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought my first P-car, a 2008 911 4S in 2013. Absolutely loved it.

After two years, however, I realized there was no real safe place to run it on the streets, without risking myself, my licence or someone else.

At the recommendation of my mechanic, I started DE in 2015 and instantly fell in love. I was hooked.

I bought a 6GT3, spent a ton of time and money sorting it out, barely drove it and then decided to go Club Racing.

I built a GTB1 Cayman in early 2018, went to racing school, and then got a PCA racing licence.

Though there are risks in racing, it is a (relatively) controlled environment. K-rail and gravel traps serve a purpose, and I feel such safer. Now I work at getting quicker.

I bought a Macan Turbo, sold the 4S and the GT3.

The impact on my street driving? I now drive much slower than I used to. I only use a fraction of the power of the Macan Turbo.There is no way to recreate the thrill of the track without going stupid fast and putting other people at risk.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:20 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,565 Posts

I've been driving on track for over 12 years, but it was only when I bought my 944 almost 8 years ago that I started to go all in. Open trailer, trailer with tire rack, enclosed trailer, dedicated tow vehicle. I'm on my second race car and am pouring money into upgrades over the winter before the start of PCA club racing at Sebring in 2020. 2019 isn't over and I am already excited about racing in 2020.

In my second year of club racing, in 2016, I did over 60 days on track. That was racing, test and tune, DE, and open track days. Since I wanted to remain married I have cut it down somewhat but I still run between 30-35 days on track a year.

I'm a little bummed by all these posts about losing interest and wonder if it will happen to me. I've always been a car guy, and always wanted to drive a race car, so EVERY SINGLE TIME I SIT BEHIND THE WHEEL OF MY RACE CAR I KNOW I AM LIVING MY DREAM! I don't care if it is a race, DE, test and tune, or just smoking a cigar in the garage during the winter looking at my race car, I love it all.

I hope that feeling never changes.

Last edited by LuigiVampa; 10-20-2019 at 10:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Akunob (10-21-2019), conceptDawg (10-19-2019), Porsche911dream (10-23-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Tim the Engineer
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

See you at Sebring!
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 10:34 PM
Red998
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
So I've been doing regular DEs for about the last three years with my 986. Being an older car that I bought in stock form and developed quite a bit, I've spent a lot of time and energy on it. My buddies are now in the process of buying a car to race AER.

All the while, I have a beautiful, engaging 993TT sitting in my garage that I never use. Drove it maybe twice this year. Its not a low mile garage queen either.

I don't have any urge to go on "canyon run" style drives anymore and its just easier to get in my cayenne to go somewhere.

I still like the 993 and don't really wanna sell it, but I just have no interest in "fun" street driving. Nor do I care about any of the latest/greatest street performance cars.

Do any of you guys who track regularly still like going on fun drives on the street, or is street driving just for the mundane at this point?
Originally Posted by cmac
Too funny... Had a similar thought recently when I realized I haven't washed my 981 GTS in a couple months and I didn't care. ;-)

Please sell all your cars. Unsubscribe from Rennlist. Driving will be autonomous soon including responses on car forums and everything else we do.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:41 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Love this thread
Old 10-22-2019, 09:41 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I've been driving on track for over 12 years, but it was only when I bought my 944 almost 8 years ago that I started to go all in. Open trailer, trailer with tire rack, enclosed trailer, dedicated tow vehicle. I'm on my second race car and am pouring money into upgrades over the winter before the start of PCA club racing at Sebring in 2020. 2019 isn't over and I am already excited about racing in 2020.

In my second year of club racing, in 2016, I did over 60 days on track. That was racing, test and tune, DE, and open track days. Since I wanted to remain married I have cut it down somewhat but I still run between 30-35 days on track a year.

I'm a little bummed by all these posts about losing interest and wonder if it will happen to me. I've always been a car guy, and always wanted to drive a race car, so EVERY SINGLE TIME I SIT BEHIND THE WHEEL OF MY RACE CAR I KNOW I AM LIVING MY DREAM! I don't care if it is a race, DE, test and tune, or just smoking a cigar in the garage during the winter looking at my race car, I love it all.

I hope that feeling never changes.
Everyone is different, but you may not ever lose interest in racing. I raced for nearly 20 years and loved it as much at the end as when I first started. DE's are a different story. I'm very bored with DE's and may not continue. I think once you've gone racing, nothing else satisfies.
But to stay on topic, I haven't lost interest in any of my street cars.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:41 PM
Porsche911dream
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting thread. I don't have a P-car yet but the same thing happened to me on 2 wheels.
I've been doing trackdays for 8 years and riding on the street has gotten so boring. Looking at buying a 2nd bike to just cruise to the mountains. The sportbike on the street is over for me and I'm only 31.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:42 PM
Porsche911dream
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
After street driving and D.E in my 997RS from 2009-2015, I decided to move into a 2016 GT4 Clubsport instead of the road going 2016 GT3RS. (It was time for a full cage car).

I have not felt the need to have the latest greatest D.E/street car ever since.
I still have my 997RS which I have been slowly putting back to stock. I occassionly use it for communting and I like to drive it in anger once and awhile. They are nice 911s to own even if rarely used.

With the focus on race car, you could care less about a new street car even as nice as they are. (once you had hard drugs, the soft drugs just dont cut it anymore).

That being said, i dabble in vintage Porsches which i enjoy using on the street. (More of a side hobby to the racing hobby) But i still enjoy wringing their necks on the street as they are not as fast as the new stuff so you can enjoy them more at the limit on the street compared to the new stuff. They keep the street driving experience "interesting".

If i were D.E only, I would be in 991RS and use it for everything.
But now that im racing with a track car, i am totally satisfied with a beater street car.
Curious how the 997RS held up after all those years D.E.?
Old 10-23-2019, 01:53 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Good to hear others’ stories. Everyone has his/her own journey. For me:

Racing - still like it after on/off over three decades, but very selective on event/venue. Mostly enjoy track/paddock time with like-minded racing peeps versus going after FTD.
DE - never found it enjoyable.
Street driving - enjoying visceral drives with friends. Then eat afterwards.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:42 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I've completely lost interest in my track car, it's more important to have a fun daily driver that I use every day.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,701 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Drove the C63 to work today. It was fun. The car makes sense as a fun road car, probably more sense than a supercar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone completely lost interest in their street car?