Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace front tires only

Old 07-10-2019, 10:54 PM
rcg412
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace front tires only

My mpsc2 fronts need replacement, but rears still have a quite a few days on them. Any reason can’t replace fronts and keep backs for a few more days?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:03 PM
ExMB
Addict
Rennlist Member

You do know that wear is only one variable in this equation? Another one is heat cycles for example.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:06 AM
gbuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412 View Post
My mpsc2 fronts need replacement, but rears still have a quite a few days on them. Any reason can’t replace fronts and keep backs for a few more days?
Nope.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:46 AM
rcg412
User

Originally Posted by ExMB View Post
You do know that wear is only one variable in this equation? Another one is heat cycles for example.
I have plenty of HC left. My camber is off and I eat the outer edge quicker than I heat cycle out
Old 07-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

These are street tires. I would try it out.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 AM
Wild Weasel
User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car came with Dunlops. I got a puncture in one mid-way through last year and replaced the front pair with new MPSC2's. I ran like that right up until my June DE event where I finally finished off the rear Dunlops (and the motor) and seem to have worn the front Cup2's to nearly done as well.

So I just replaced the full set. It looks to me like either Cup2's wear faster than Dunlops (of which my impression is that the opposite should be true) or I tear through front tires tangibly faster than rear tires.

I'm not replacing tires that are still good to go.

Does that mean my front and rear grip is drastically out of proportion and I'm a deadly missile on the track just looking for a place to explode?

I have no idea. I'm not dead though. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 07-11-2019, 10:51 AM
dan212
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless I am changing very a fresh front or rear because a of a puncture, I usually replace in full sets. Especially if one pair has more than a handful of heat cycles.
Otherwise you are just going to do the unbalanced Fresh VS. EOL tire tango indefinitely.
Better to run equally fresh rubber front and rear and get consistent handling than stretch a few more cycles out with less than optimal front/rear tires characteristics.

If your fronts are especially worn - consider alignment and / or driving style as a factor. Rears do take a lot of abuse from powering out of turns which may not be apparent in visible wear.

If your fronts are beat up faster than you think they should - look to why this is happening. Often alignment, but sometimes driving style as well.

Also - Learn to use the finger nail test for tacky / hardness. Try to have a new tire test for a good comparison.

All other comments here are equally valid. The above is merely my own humble opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Wild Weasel (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Wild Weasel
User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that.
Now that I'm starting with a full set of the same tires again, I'll be able to gauge the wear much better. The puncture really threw a wrench in things last year. They weren't even half done yet.

Still though... at my mediocre level of talent, the completely mismatched tires didn't seem to have an obvious impact.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:15 AM
GPA951s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am Trying the same thing but I had to change tire sizes as well... (Tire rack didn't have the size I wanted when I initially purchased) My Fronts were Gone on the outside, So I Tossed the Fronts,(225s) moved the Rears to the Front (255's) (they wore pretty even) and purchased a wider set for the rear.(275s) Then Added more negative camber to the front) I'm going to nelson ledges next which is a tiny track with a pourus surface and it really beats up on front tires, So I will finish them off there and get fresh ones for the front after that.. If I was Racing... Yes always 4,, DE well.... I guess I go a little slower..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: