Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   This Miata Driver Passes 17 Cars in Just One Lap (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1150951-this-miata-driver-passes-17-cars-in-just-one-lap.html)

sugarwood 07-06-2019 12:14 AM

This Miata Driver Passes 17 Cars in Just One Lap

Sick driving.

Tach constantly is at 7k

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a28264032/miata-roy-fulmer-spec-series/?

fatbillybob 07-06-2019 12:57 AM

More exciting than F1

winders 07-06-2019 04:01 AM

That's what happens when put a better car and a better driver at the back of the pack and there are a bunch of lesser cars and lesser drivers in front of him. It also helps that forcing your way through with contact is not an issue.

Gary R. 07-06-2019 07:22 AM

My ears hurt but its good to know that there IS a car that sounds worse than a Spec Boxster! ;)

Nizer 07-06-2019 10:50 AM

Nothing sounds worse than a spec miata and there's no amount of hearing protection that can drown them out...

hf1 07-06-2019 11:13 AM

That's racing. Mesmerizing and a work of art. I noticed how the driving (by others) cleaned up and racing room was given to him upon every overlap as he approached the pointy end of the field. Most of the "it's my corner!" pinheads were at the back, including the one he punted off in the early part.

He wasn't "ahead at turn-in" in 90%+ of his passes. He should have backed off and waited for a better chance. :roflmao:

mpruden 07-06-2019 11:20 AM

Wait a minute, I was in that race (in a different class)! Very cool to see the action behind me. Now I know what everyone was talking about after the race.

Just a side note - the driver's family runs an excellent race-friendly body shop out here, so fixing the occasional Miata dent is likely no problem.

Glyndellis 07-06-2019 12:32 PM

Did he have a lap timer or track insurance?

Pmorritt 07-06-2019 12:54 PM

Just typical of driving the 405 on any day in LA.

Veloce Raptor 07-06-2019 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nizer
Nothing sounds worse than a spec miata and there's no amount of hearing protection that can drown them out...

Not true. A full race unmuffled old RX7 sounds worse

LuigiVampa 07-06-2019 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by hf1 (Post 15955268)
That's racing. Mesmerizing and a work of art. I noticed how the driving (by others) cleaned up and racing room was given to him upon every overlap as he approached the pointy end of the field. Most of the "it's my corner!" pinheads were at the back, including the one he punted off in the early part.

He wasn't "ahead at turn-in" in 90%+ of his passes. He should have backed off and waited for a better chance. :roflmao:

It also was a little harder to pass each subsequent car as he got to the front of the pack.

The yellow car with black stripes looks like it got punted into him rather than the other way around.

Although it was aggressive, it didn't look like he made any dangerous or overly aggressive moves. He knew what he was doing and drove with the confidence of no 13/13 rule.

That is racing and looked like a lot of fun!

hf1 07-06-2019 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 15955717)
It also was a little harder to pass each subsequent car as he got to the front of the pack.

The yellow car with black stripes looks like it got punted into him rather than the other way around.

Although it was aggressive, it didn't look like he made any dangerous or overly aggressive moves. He knew what he was doing and drove with the confidence of no 13/13 rule.

That is racing and looked like a lot of fun!

His moves are neither dangerous nor overly aggressive as long as everyone leaves racing room upon overlap. The pointy end in spec miata knows this which is why the racing looks smoother and cleaner there. The back end is more likely to have rookies with the “it’s my corner and I’m going for the apex just like I did at DE, regardless of who has overlap with me on the inside” mentality, so contact is much more likely there. Has nothing to do with 13/13 — it’s just different passing rules that encourage both co-existence and good (aggressive yet smooth) racing.

LexVan 07-06-2019 03:51 PM

But did he pass Mr Mustang?

Gator_86_951 07-06-2019 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Glyndellis (Post 15955436)
Did he have a lap timer or track insurance?

May least two lap timers-as a fail safe-and two policies. Otherwise, could never go that flat out.

LuigiVampa 07-06-2019 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by hf1 (Post 15955763)
His moves are neither dangerous nor overly aggressive as long as everyone leaves racing room upon overlap. The pointy end in spec miata knows this which is why the racing looks smoother and cleaner there. The back end is more likely to have rookies with the “it’s my corner and I’m going for the apex just like I did at DE, regardless of who has overlap with me on the inside” mentality, so contact is much more likely there. Has nothing to do with 13/13 — it’s just different passing rules that encourage both co-existence and good (aggressive yet smooth) racing.

No 13/13 means different passing rules.

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951 (Post 15955797)
May least two lap timers-as a fail safe-and two policies. Otherwise, could never go that flat out.

Agreed. You can't drive like that with an uninsured car and no lap timer. You can tell just by watching.