Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?

 
Old 07-04-2019, 02:24 PM
  #76  
fatbillybob
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,689
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor View Post
Car to car contact in a DE is utterly unacceptable

Originally Posted by Texas RS View Post
FFB, Were you at a DE or Racing? DE contact is totally unacceptable. Racing contact is unacceptable, but may occur. The two should not be confused and if we have DE'ers with this Racer mentality we need to get then out and into racing as soon as possible.


Contact on the street in front of your house is unacceptable but we know it happens. DE contact unacceptable? This thread proves it happens and even in Chin with what seems to be the highest standards mandating checkout rides for ANY non chin regular and point by in the highest group. Contact happens in DE all the time everywhere in the nation. As far as I can tell the waiver you sign at the gate is the same if you DE or Race. I would take that to mean the risks are the same. Some say the risks in DE are less than racing. What risks death? Contact? I think the risks are the same arguably worse in DE.
fatbillybob is offline  
Old 07-04-2019, 02:29 PM
  #77  
thebishman
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 356
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

The GT3 driver bares no responsibility for the crash; it was totally the result of the ‘red-misted’ idiot over-driving his Mustang and running out of talent.

That being said, as someone who’s been doing DEs since ‘95, (and no, I’m not in any way a professional like many of you here), I for one pay extremely close attention to my mirrors, and if/when I see a car being driven in an erratic fashion and staying far too close to my bumper, I consider it my responsibility to wave the idiot on by as there is no telling what he/she may be going to do in the near future. I neither want my car, or anyone else’s car damaged during a DE, or God forbid anyone to get injured.

There’s no money; points or trophy involved in participating in a DE; let the idiots by who are driving in a dangerous and erratic manner and report them to the Chief Steward.
thebishman is offline  
Old 07-04-2019, 02:34 PM
  #78  
Paddy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Paddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore, Md
Posts: 1,789
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

GT3 driver is somewhat OK. Very sore, still has headaches and the car is totaled.
Paddy is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by Paddy:
DTMiller (07-04-2019), Paul Solk (07-04-2019), Red998 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 02:45 PM
  #79  
TXE36
Super User
 
TXE36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 2,385
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Wow, that video looks like a super red misty version of the "nemesis" video.

Seat is scary loose.

The Mustang did earn a point by at 12:08 - however the idea that a missing point by resolves any responsibility for him not to hit the GT3 is ludicrous. Also, how much you wanna bet that had the GT3 pointed him by, that once the GT3 caught back up to him that the Mustang would be just as stingy with the point bys? The video rubbed me as not friendly.

-Mike
TXE36 is offline  
Old 07-04-2019, 02:48 PM
  #80  
RPMfan
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Point by???? If the GT3 driver had just stayed home thereĺs no incident. 100% his fault. Idiot.
RPMfan is offline  
Old 07-04-2019, 02:50 PM
  #81  
LuigiVampa
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LuigiVampa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Connecticut Valley Region
Posts: 10,192
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TXE36 View Post
Wow, that video looks like a super red misty version of the "nemesis" video.

Seat is scary loose.

The Mustang did earn a point by at 12:08 - however the idea that a missing point by resolves any responsibility for him not to hit the GT3 is ludicrous. Also, how much you wanna bet that had the GT3 pointed him by, that once the GT3 caught back up to him that the Mustang would be just as stingy with the point bys? The video rubbed me as not friendly.

-Mike
When I saw how loose that seat was in the beginning of the video I already knew it was going to be his fault. Who would drive with a seat like that?
LuigiVampa is offline  
Old 07-04-2019, 02:57 PM
  #82  
yesyoucan
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 210
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
Contact on the street in front of your house is unacceptable but we know it happens. DE contact unacceptable? This thread proves it happens and even in Chin with what seems to be the highest standards mandating checkout rides for ANY non chin regular and point by in the highest group. Contact happens in DE all the time everywhere in the nation. As far as I can tell the waiver you sign at the gate is the same if you DE or Race. I would take that to mean the risks are the same. Some say the risks in DE are less than racing. What risks death? Contact? I think the risks are the same arguably worse in DE.
It's pretty easy to see in these threads of those who participate in DE and those that don't and just like to talk about it.

You are 100% correct btw.

Plenty of incidents at each HPDE. Sometimes very close to car to car contact and sometimes there is contact. A lot of people going into walls too.
yesyoucan is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Red998 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 03:00 PM
  #83  
TXE36
Super User
 
TXE36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 2,385
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa View Post
When I saw how loose that seat was in the beginning of the video I already knew it was going to be his fault. Who would drive with a seat like that?
Given the seat install, he is probably very lucky he had professionally installed airbags.

Video proves the "Mustang Guy" is just as bad as the "GT3 Guy" or "Corvette Guy". Instructors and event personnel need to watch for these guys like a hawk.

-Mike
TXE36 is offline  
Old 07-04-2019, 03:03 PM
  #84  
Paul Solk
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Paul Solk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 828
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by yesyoucan View Post
It's pretty easy to see in these threads of those who participate in DE and those that don't and just like to talk about it.

You are 100% correct btw.

Plenty of incidents at each HPDE. Sometimes very close to car to car contact and sometimes there is contact. A lot of people going into walls too.
Obviously as easy as it is for you to tell who has insurance and who doesn't on the track.... Can you tell me the lottery numbers too?

Some say the risks in DE are less than racing. What risks death? Contact? I think the risks are the same arguably worse in DE.
Plenty of incidents at each HPDE. Sometimes very close to car to car contact and sometimes there is contact. A lot of people going into walls too
Paul Solk is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Red998 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 03:13 PM
  #85  
fatbillybob
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,689
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Solk View Post
The Mustang did none of this. He had TOTAL control of all of his actions and they were all wrong. This is a DE.
Not really. Drivers around the mustang also have control over the mustang. When I race and on the occasional DE (no pointy by) I dictate to a large degree what another car does with my car positioning. That is part of "race craft" in racing and what Kevin calls "traffic management" in DE.
fatbillybob is offline  
Old 07-04-2019, 03:14 PM
  #86  
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Frank 993 C4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NY Tri-State
Posts: 6,776
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
Plenty of incidents at each HPDE. Sometimes very close to car to car contact and sometimes there is contact. A lot of people going into walls too.
Here is a statistic for you:

I have 167 DE days and I have never seen car to car contact in any of the groups I run with - ever! I have about 120 race days and I've seen plenty of everything.
Frank 993 C4S is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by Frank 993 C4S:
breljohn (07-05-2019), Paul Solk (07-04-2019), Texas RS (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 03:22 PM
  #87  
Paul Solk
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Paul Solk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 828
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
Not really. Drivers around the mustang also have control over the mustang. When I race and on the occasional DE (no pointy by) I dictate to a large degree what another car does with my car positioning. That is part of "race craft" in racing and what Kevin calls "traffic management" in DE.
We aren't talking about racing here #1. this isn't race craft or traffic management. Why would you be worried about car positioning in a DE without point by's. If someone is quicker let them go. Stay on line and they drive around you. Simple concept. #2. Yes, you can control YOUR car with car positioning but everyone else on track are like reactions and emotions, the only person that can control them are the individual themselves. You can do whatever you want with your car, doesn't mean you can CONTROL what I do with mine... If you decide to move over and I punt you off track how in control of me were you? If I choose to lift, take evasive action or just ram you like the Mustang did the ONLY person controlling what I do is me...

I would never assume I dictate to anyone else on track... I control myself and similar to riding a motorcycle try to anticipate the dumbest thing possible someone else can do and have an out prepared for it just in case. In some cases you just can't be prepared for stupid as in the video above...
Paul Solk is offline  
Old 07-04-2019, 03:23 PM
  #88  
nad617
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Peoria IL
Posts: 49
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Glad to hear the Gt3 pilot is ok. As an orthopedic trauma surgeon I have seen plenty of patients involved in tangential side impacts with horrendous pelvic and thoracic injuries. God bless porsche engineers and productions workers for thoughtful designs and robust build quality.
nad617 is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by nad617:
Paul Solk (07-04-2019), Red998 (07-10-2019), thebishman (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 03:27 PM
  #89  
yesyoucan
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 210
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S View Post
Here is a statistic for you:

I have 167 DE days and I have never seen car to car contact in any of the groups I run with - ever! I have about 120 race days and I've seen plenty of everything.
Good for you. I've seen a few and I have 60 DE days in 3.5 years and plenty of near misses including being involved in some myself.
yesyoucan is offline  
Old 07-04-2019, 03:31 PM
  #90  
yesyoucan
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 210
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Solk View Post
Obviously as easy as it is for you to tell who has insurance and who doesn't on the track.... Can you tell me the lottery numbers too?




Mustang guy doesn't drive like that without track insurance... and he is specially not going to be nonchalante about it and post it on youtube.

I was tracking this past Tuesday. The track organizer in drivers meeting says that he is proud of the safety record during his events. A couple of us looked at each other with stunned faces. Nine months ago, a track worker died, two cars got totaled in an oil slick. His open passing group is one of those that Lockton won't insure.

A lot of you guys involved in the "business" side of things with HPDE sure seem to protect things. You'll only lose more credibility with your protectionist type postings.
yesyoucan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: