Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 01:35 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
I just want to be sure so I make a note to my region to blackball you from all our DE's. Not even being funny or sarcastic here. ...
Tough crowd! I think Keven choose the wrong words "blame". I totally see his point and I would be happy to share the track with him. There are a lot of things that lead up to every incident and changing anyone 1 changes the outcome. Kevin is smart. He knows there is benefit/risk ratio that he is calculating in his head while on track. If one is deemed bozo he stays away. Let's assume the GT3 driver was an aware experienced driver and looked in his mirrors and saw the mustang at his limit on a tear. If you ask the GT3 driver today in 20/20 hindsight he should have just let the mustang by, what do you think the GT3 guy would say? And even if the GT3 guy arrogantly holds that he has the right and privilege to be in front of the mustang what was in the best interest of his wallet? Kevin is 100% right "traffic management". You need that on the streets by your house, in HPDE, and wheel to wheel racing.

This does not make the mustang any less wrong and to blame but at the end of the day my dad told me the same thing..."my dad used to say when I was a kid, it doesnt matter if you get hit riding your bike and the driver was "wrong" you still might be dead."
The following 5 users liked this post by fatbillybob:
Kevin Fennell (07-04-2019), Ritesh (07-08-2019), SpeedyD (07-09-2019), Sweeper (07-07-2019), thebishman (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 01:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Had the GT3 driver let the mustang by earlier there is no incident.

Had the mustang driver backed off or went through hot pits, there is also no incident.

I have come off track before when I felt uncomfortable with the level of driving around me.
In bold is complete conjecture. Who's to say that the Mustang would not have been able to control his aggression around another car, if not this GT3? The GT3 didn't crash, the Mustang did.

Second line is correct, but the Mustang DIDN'T DO THAT. It was a CHOICE, and an irresponsible one, in hindsight.

Third line, absolutely! My radar is on high alert in these conditions. Save your own a$$, because no one else will...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Jon D (07-04-2019), kfmcmahon (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 01:51 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If people TRULY accept personal responsibility for their actions while on the track, then they have the responsibility to recognize when they are running close to the edge and the thinness of the margin is getting very close..
I also think that on track responsibility includes knowing and accepting that, under no fault of your own, your car might be taken out, wallet therefore raped, could get injured or worse, and your season ruined because you have to fix or replace your car. It has happened to my twice in 20 years no fault of my own. Mad! But each time uninjured, I shrugged my shoulders, and just let it go.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Car to car contact in a DE is utterly unacceptable
The following 5 users liked this post by Veloce Raptor:
Bob Rouleau (07-08-2019), breljohn (07-05-2019), FLA997 (07-04-2019), limbo (09-03-2019), Mikelly (07-06-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 02:00 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Point by???? He was 30 cars lengths back... and this was the lap that he hit the GT3. Wow.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
In bold is complete conjecture. Who's to say that the Mustang would not have been able to control his aggression around another car, if not this GT3? The GT3 didn't crash, the Mustang did.

Second line is correct, but the Mustang DIDN'T DO THAT. It was a CHOICE, and an irresponsible one, in hindsight.

Third line, absolutely! My radar is on high alert in these conditions. Save your own a$$, because no one else will...
Oh he might have hit another car but he would be less likely to hit a car if its behind him.

I have done this on interstate when being tailgated. I slow down let the jack *** by and let some one else deal with that.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:04 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I also think that on track responsibility includes knowing and accepting that, under no fault of your own, your car might be taken out, wallet therefore raped, could get injured or worse, and your season ruined because you have to fix or replace your car. It has happened to my twice in 20 years no fault of my own. Mad! But each time uninjured, I shrugged my shoulders, and just let it go.
FFB, Were you at a DE or Racing? DE contact is totally unacceptable. Racing contact is unacceptable, but may occur. The two should not be confused and if we have DE'ers with this Racer mentality we need to get then out and into racing as soon as possible.
The following users liked this post:
mike1111 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 02:06 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
Point by???? He was 30 cars lengths back... and this was the lap that he hit the GT3. Wow.
Look starting at ~ 11:05 and the minute thereafter.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:09 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
This is the description on his YouTube video. Why would someone even post this embarrassing video? I hate to bring legal stuff in (I'm not a lawyer), but isn't this inviting a suit against yourself for incompetence and injury?

My favorite line, "The session, and my event, ended with a Black Flag."

Kind of reminds me of my favorite sign I ever saw at a ski area. It was the top of Grand Targhee in Wyoming: "Skiing beyond this point may result in death and or loss of skiing privileges."
The following users liked this post:
FactoryMatt (03-26-2024)
Old 07-04-2019, 02:12 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS

It was right here when the Red Mist really kicked in. You could almost hear him say, "That guy ain't gonna pass me again...I'll get'm...you'll see."
Old 07-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

****, I know the GT3 driver. Sending him a text now.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:15 PM
nad617
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow just simply wow! If anyone here was at the event please let us know if the Gt3 driver is all right.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:17 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I bet his predictive time was way down till that gt3 got in the way of a perfect lap

But very sorry to see for the gt3....that seat mounting was scaaaarrrrry
Old 07-04-2019, 02:24 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Tough crowd! I think Keven choose the wrong words "blame". I totally see his point and I would be happy to share the track with him. There are a lot of things that lead up to every incident and changing anyone 1 changes the outcome. Kevin is smart. He knows there is benefit/risk ratio that he is calculating in his head while on track. If one is deemed bozo he stays away. Let's assume the GT3 driver was an aware experienced driver and looked in his mirrors and saw the mustang at his limit on a tear. If you ask the GT3 driver today in 20/20 hindsight he should have just let the mustang by, what do you think the GT3 guy would say? And even if the GT3 guy arrogantly holds that he has the right and privilege to be in front of the mustang what was in the best interest of his wallet? Kevin is 100% right "traffic management". You need that on the streets by your house, in HPDE, and wheel to wheel racing.

This does not make the mustang any less wrong and to blame but at the end of the day my dad told me the same thing..."my dad used to say when I was a kid, it doesnt matter if you get hit riding your bike and the driver was "wrong" you still might be dead."
I understand everything you are saying completely. Also agree the GT3 could have pointed him by sooner. Doesn't change anything. The Mustang can only control themselves on track, no one else period. Do you know how many times we have all been stuck behind traffic or a train of traffic for laps. At some point you become aware of the circumstances and either back off, come through the pits, speak to the other driver, speak to track chair etc. The Mustang did none of this. He had TOTAL control of all of his actions and they were all wrong. This is a DE. Someone won't give you a point by, big sh*t... There is already someone here on Rennlist with 8 national DE championships, no one is beating that why try!!!

I apologize if Kevin thinks this was some sort of power trip but as what sounds like a coach and an event organizer had he ever been involved in or had an incident like this and had the other driver even BROUGHT UP the fact that not getting a point by was a factor I'm pretty sure Keven would be irate with said driver... Can you imagine someone saying that to an event organizer at black flag after contact? Yes I would black ball them from my event, I stand by that.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:24 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
I bet his predictive time was way down till that gt3 got in the way of a perfect lap

But very sorry to see for the gt3....that seat mounting was scaaaarrrrry
It is very clear a lap timer was to blame for this incident.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Akunob (07-04-2019), kfmcmahon (07-04-2019)

Quick Reply: So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?