Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Of course who doesn’t LOVE smug Miata drivers who brag about driving up the tail pipes of PDPs (Poorly Driven Porsches).

Someone here is married to one of them!! In his defense he is batting way out of his league
Old 07-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
True, but the problem for GT3 guys on streetable tires is that there are better tires, faster cars, and worst of all: better drivers with equal or better cars/tires!

I wasn't entirely joking when I brought up the topic. There has to be a special satisfaction for a Mustang driver to not get passed in a Chin Red group, pass lots of Porsches in that group, and finally pass what appears to be the fastest GT3 in that group. That may have contributed to his mistake. If he had learned the art of making excuses for not being faster (my tires were shot, my brake pedal was starting getting soft, my fluid temp was getting too high, etc.), he might have been less motivated to try to pass the GT3. For better and worse, a lot of what we do in life is motivated by trying to maintain self-esteem.
So true, fortunately I learnt a lesson early on in my track pursuits...there is always someone faster. Some buy their lower lap-times by picking up the latest high-HP/TQ GT3/RS or GT2RS out there, others modify their cars with "cheater" after-market parts and others are simply better drivers! The first step is reconciling yourself to that fact.

Second, was a change in mindset. I think of point-byes as "letting the faster cars through" and not so much as "I am being passed"! LOL...might sound like a small difference but it's huge (at least for me). The thought of 'being passed' brings out a competitive-side in some of us that can lead to cloudy judgment, which under the a wrong set of conditions can have disastrous outcomes. Thankfully, running with Chin in their 'Happy Hour' was instrumental in helping me develop this change in mindset. When you're on track in a GT3 on street-legal DOT track tires along with 997/991 GT3 Cup cars, GT4 Clubsports, fully-prepped race cars and even the odd LMP2 type car...the concept of "letting the faster cars through" becomes very easy to embrace and I carried this mindset over to my PCA DE track days. There is no shame in letting the faster guys through...frankly, the faster I let those guys through, the quicker I can return to driving my line and my pace and enjoying myself, not to mention working on the areas of self improvement that the DE environment is designed to facilitate.

I find that I don't work on my craft or learn as much when I'm either trying to keep someone from passing me or when I'm vigorously chasing someone..the focus shifts FROM the technical driving elements I am trying to improve TO the car either in my rear-view mirror or ahead of me. Those tend to be my sloppiest laps (although I must confess that I've also set some track PB's when in pursuit of faster/better drivers). The key for me comes down to the ability to control my emotions behind the wheel (as mentioned earlier). We learn every day we're on track. I hope Mustang Guy learnt something, upon reflection of the events that led to his incident.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:56 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
True, but the problem for GT3 guys on streetable tires is that there are better tires, faster cars, and worst of all: better drivers with equal or better cars/tires!

That's why a GT3 guy becomes a McLaren guy. Or a Radical guy. Or God forbid, drives a ZR1.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:46 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

That's why a GT3 guy becomes a McLaren guy. Or a Radical guy. Or God forbid, drives a ZR1.
A real GT3 guy upgrades himself on what is already the perfect weapon for the job rather than "upgrading" to more HP+grip -- then goes on to eat those "faster" cars for lunch anyway.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,788 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I drew the line at GT3 with the factory Cup 2 tires. If that's not fast enough to win some DE sessions, so be it. The temptation to cross the line is always there, but the costs and hassles are prohibitive. And again, being on street tires often provides a convenient excuse for not being faster!
Old 07-11-2019, 04:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Every single car can always be driven just a bit faster by someone else
Old 07-11-2019, 04:14 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
A real GT3 guy upgrades himself on what is already the perfect weapon for the job rather than "upgrading" to more HP+grip -- then goes on to eat those "faster" cars for lunch anyway.
There are much better track cars out there than GT3s. Don’t get me wrong, a GT3 is a great car, but the GT2RS and Viper ACR are both much, much better And the list is longer than just these 2.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:29 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
A real driver upgrades himself on what is already the perfect weapon for the job rather than "upgrading" to more HP+grip -- then goes on to eat those "faster" cars for lunch anyway.
FIFY
Old 07-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

FIFY
This
Old 07-11-2019, 04:40 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

FIFY
Of course. The question was about a GT3 guy, which is why I answered it that way, but it's valid for any car in general.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Which is why when I have a pro drive my car I retard the timing a bit and over inflate the tires.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

When I have a pro drive mine, I take out the lap timer.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Bingo.

Originally Posted by 38D
There are much better track cars out there than GT3s. Don’t get me wrong, a GT3 is a great car, but the GT2RS and Viper ACR are both much, much better And the list is longer than just these 2.
From a performance perspective, the GT3RS and the 2 cars you mention are much more similar than they are different. Of course, the two cars you mention have higher top speeds and marginally better acceleration. But Randy Pobst driving the GT3RS and the GT2RS back to back shows that in some cases, the lesser powered car could negotiate some of the corners quicker than the quicker car, and it was only the two longer straights where the GT3RS suffered, and not by much. It’s still going to be MUCH more driver dependent than the differences between the cars.

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Thats a shame, that could be valuable information.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
When I have a pro drive mine...it's me!
Old 07-11-2019, 07:24 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 760 Likes on 383 Posts

When I have a pro drive mine...it's me!
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Fennell (07-11-2019)

Quick Reply: So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?