Turn-9 spin @ Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 12:18 AM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turn-9 spin @ Laguna Seca

Hi fellow track enthusiasts,

Last Friday was the first time taking my 19' GT3RS to the track and I spun out at turn-9 during the 3rd session. The video of the event is linked below. My gut says I took an early-apex and was on the throttle too soon, causing me to lose the rear. Definitely lucky I didn't hit the wall. Does anyone have any thoughts on what could have happened?

Thanks, Mark

Old 07-02-2019, 12:28 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Got back to throttle too soon/much with steering angle +/- low grip track.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:36 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

You got back on the throttle too fast and were too slow unwinding the steering wheel.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:47 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Too much throttle too soon and not even trying to “catch” it, plus looked like the car was unloaded as it went over a little crest at that spot too. The only way to know or explore how much throttle is too much is to always expect the unexpected (“too much”) and be prepared to “catch” the car the moment it slips away even a little. If you haven’t done it already I highly recommend a car control clinic/class. A 500hp RS is no joke and next time you may not be so lucky. Good luck!
Old 07-02-2019, 01:00 AM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Too much throttle too soon and not even trying to “catch” it, plus looked like the car was unloaded as it went over a little crest at that spot too. The only way to know or explore how much throttle is too much is to always expect the unexpected (“too much”) and be prepared to “catch” the car the moment it slips away even a little. If you haven’t done it already I highly recommend a car control clinic/class. A 500hp RS is no joke and next time you may not be so lucky. Good luck!
I haven't done a car clinic, just periodic autocross. With autocross, if I encounter oversteer I typically just reduce throttle / lift. Never had any experience, nor the need to "catch" it yet. So it's a good call-out. Do you have any recommendations of clinics where they teach you to deal with car oversteer / understeer? I can always use more training.

Last edited by urban2k; 07-02-2019 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:15 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by urban2k
I haven't done a car clinic, just periodic autocross. With autocross, if I encounter oversteer I typically just reduce throttle / lift. Never had any experience "catching" it yet. But it's a good call-out. Do you have any recommendations of clinics where they teach you to deal with car oversteer / understeer?
Not familiar with the current offerings, especially not on the west coast, but check with any of the racing schools in the area. Also ask with the clubs (pca, bmw, etc.) that organize track days if they have any car control clinics on their calendars. Maybe someone else here could help with info.

The best way to learn car control is on a car with skinny tires and low grip, then increase grip and power from there as throwing and catching a car becomes a habit/reflex. You are asking the right questions and at the right time. Great that you posted the video. Good luck!
Old 07-02-2019, 06:56 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You have the correct attitude and were very lucky you had access road pavement where you lost it... hit the grass/dirt and you were going to go for a ride. Less a line issue as you are hearty on the throttle as evidenced by this short clip and got back to it too quickly and aggressively overpowering the rear grip inducing the rotation.

If you haven't had the need to 'catch it' yet at this level, I'd tone it back in a smaller lighter lower hp platform and work on your momentum and control (as you are seeking). Trying to learn and experience this limit in the RS without serious consequences would be very difficult.

I'm glad this ended well for you!
Old 07-02-2019, 07:33 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

I haven't done a car clinic, just periodic autocross. With autocross, if I encounter oversteer I typically just reduce throttle / lift. Never had any experience, nor the need to "catch" it yet. So it's a good call-out. Do you have any recommendations of clinics where they teach you to deal with car oversteer / understeer? I can always use more training.
Find an event / organization that uses a skid pad, preferably wet. This will teach not only how to catch it but what it feels like just before the weight transfers so you know it’s coming before it gets there. If your first indication is visual you are too late.
The following users liked this post:
DTMiller (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 08:16 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Find a group that uses the skidpad and put some time into learning on it
Old 07-02-2019, 10:16 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

Seems like you are in the SF Bay area, in which case you have access to some of the richest resources in the US in terms of learning to do the right things, the right way. These resources are particularly rich for Porsche drivers.

I disagree with anyone that suggests that you should consider trying a different car with lower limits.

I believe that you should consider accessing local resources. Lots of opportunities to learn and develop skills and experience.

I started driving on the track at a PCA DE at Lime Rock ~1988. No AX, no karting. Bought a Porsche and joined PCA. Then straight to the track.

I have lived here since '91 and been track driving and racing since '94 or so. I helped form a local group called the Porsche Racing Club in 2001.

First suggestion: Consider in-person conversations/instruction/learning resources as primary and internet forums as secondary or tertiary resources.

Second suggestion... if you have never been to a PCA DE event, there is one coming up at Laguna Seca July 18-21. It is the first ever PCA Golden Gate combined DE and Club Race at Laguna Seca. I won't be driving or racing there, but I will be visiting. Great opportunity to do some networking.

Once you have a good baseline and climb the skill/experience curve, I can recommend a coach-- Thomas Merrill. He was the chief instructor at the Skip Barber School at Laguna and practically grew up at the track (he grew up just outside its gates). I first met him around 1995 when he was a school boy. The PCA GGR had a Time Trial at Laguna and his family hosted the Saturday night party.

Best to have some basic skills, experience and vocabulary before engaging a coach.

Some of the folks I met way back then will likely be at Laguna at the upcoming event. Some may even be instructing.

Happy to help further. Feel free to send me a PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:24 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

By the way, don't you already know what happened? Do you think you asked your rear tires to do something they didn't want to do? Do you think that when they protested and broke traction your *** and hands and eyes responded properly and in time?

You could have been driving a little red wagon and the same thing could have happened.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:32 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

One option is the Porsche Experience Center in LA. They have skid pads, kick plate and other exercises for car control. A bit pricey. I have not been to the LA center, but have been to the Atlanta facility and thought the exercises and instruction were very good.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:35 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I disagree with anyone that suggests that you should consider trying a different car with lower limits.
Are you suggesting that he learns car control by throwing and catching a 500hp RS on massive tires with almost slicks-like grip? Would be fun finding a right-seat instructor to help him with that.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:14 AM
bcp2011
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Are you suggesting that he learns car control by throwing and catching a 500hp RS on massive tires with almost slicks-like grip? Would be fun finding a right-seat instructor to help him with that.
Isn't that how all the greats became who they were? I thought Senna stepped into F1 and never looked back?

In all seriousness, my limited experience in beginner/intermediate groups is that folks with high hp machines are generally scared by their steeds, and therefore only extract a fraction of the capability out of their cars. This is particularly true for folks with high hp and expensive cars (scared for both their lives and secondarily their wallets!). Ideally, in my opinion, you want a car where your instructor is yelling "power power POWER!!" next to you every turn...
Old 07-02-2019, 11:44 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

OP asked for some driving tips and everyone is now telling him sell his car!!!😳

Quick Reply: Turn-9 spin @ Laguna Seca