Sponsored by:

Track day video set up

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 10:49 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Track day video set up

So I have a 2009 Cayman S that I tracked 5 times last season (Arizona, our season is September-May) and I plan to track as much as possible next season. I have become addicted to watching track day videos. So for my B'day my wife said she would buy me a GoPro and other components to make this happen. So I've already ordered what I think will be a good setup after researching the best I could. So here is what I've ordered,

GoPro Hero 7 Black
Kiwi 3 OBD II
Garmin GLO portable GPS
And a $30 aluminum mount that I think I can mount the camera to the grab bar between the seats.

I use Apple products with the TrackAddict ap on my iPhone. I think I will need to purchase an editing software, RaceRender seems to have an affiliation with TrackAddict. Video edition is going to be a real learning experience for me.
So, I'm looking for advice or tips, suggestions about this setup. Am I missing anything, are there better products/equipment out there?
I'd like to make videos so that I can critique my driving and if I make a good one, maybe share it on social media. I'm hoping to beable to display things like track info/profile, speed, tach and so forth.

So what do you think?

The following users liked this post:
bbinder (07-07-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 11:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Sounds like a pretty comprehensive list of parts, for sure.

RaceRender and TrackAddict are great.

There are several other options that would be a lot less work, and get you better, more frequently refreshed, accurate and reliable information.

But you’re off to a good start. Post em up!
Surfndav (06-29-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 02:26 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Looking at track day videos is awesome and also a great way to see what you can do to be faster, but forgetting to turn on the camera or the hours it takes to add data overlay can be quite the bare.

Used to get so bummed out after an amazing session to look back and see the camera was not recording.

Also using phone and OBDII via BT is not to reliable as sometimes it wants to be a PITA and not just connect, and then you have to download the data and splice the video in at the right spot which can be mind bending in itself with all the data and videos you end up with over the weekend, like a Rubic's Cube.

I am saying this because I did the same thing to start and even with the amazing computer I have, still took to long just to make one cool video.

I would say get an Aim Solo DL (If on a budget try to find the first version as it is still very good) and add a smarty cam to it that way you are always recording when the car starts moving, and don't have to waste hours adding the data overlay as it's automatic, just pull the SD Card out and start watching.

If money is not an object, get the VBox as its the best picture (1080P) and can have more then one camera hooked up and with data that is very easy to read without needing a pro to look at it for you.

Here are a couple of example, top one Aim, bottom one VBox as I just upgraded from the Aim to the VBox which really is the next level.

The following 2 users liked this post by GT345:
Paul Solk (06-30-2019), Surfndav (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 09:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Nice review, Alan. Thanks for your purchase of the VBOX Video HD2. I knew it would do what you and many other people want.

Simple, reliable, powerful and fast finding of opportunities for improvement through self coaching.

But, this is why I sell a lot of both lines of equipment, AiM and VBOX. Different strokes for different folks. Something for all budgets and interest levels.

A majority of the people that buy are coming from the OP’s place, trying to make all that stuff work. For some, it’s worth trying to persevere, for most, not so much.

Glad to help supply either of the two most popular alternatives to the “app and BT” setups, when you’re ready.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:42 AM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

This is what I was looking for. I just downloaded RaceRender software last night. There a lot of helpful video tutorials on youtube so I'll be referring to those for now. I should receive all the equipment I've ordered this week and I plan to start playing with it ASAP. I don't have a track day that I can attend until September so I should be able to work out some bugs. But I do understand that what I'm starting with may not be the end all, that being said I plan to make the best of what I have. I"m going to google the Vbox now.
I just looked at VBox online, and I think I'm going to see if I can work with what I'm getting. That price is up there, but may be worth the investment if I really get to the point I hope to.

Last edited by Surfndav; 06-30-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Sounds good.

Here's the winning thread on VBOX, thanks to ShakeNBake: https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...d2-review.html
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-30-2019, 12:56 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfndav
I just looked at VBox online, and I think I'm going to see if I can work with what I'm getting. That price is up there, but may be worth the investment if I really get to the point I hope to.
Keep in mind that you can buy older AIM and VBOX Systems used at a fraction of the price. BTW - We've all started where you are but it gets frustrating to spend hours on post production formatting.
Surfndav (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 01:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Keep in mind that you can buy older AIM and VBOX Systems used at a fraction of the price.
Where? Where?

When this stuff does show up used, it’s usually not cheap, not more than a third less than new, and it’s pretty rare to see it listed.

Why? Because all the stuff that people want is current or near current and those that have the current stuff don’t want/need to sell.

Seriously, this stuff works or it doesn’t. I have taken trades on new equipment and had to replace LCD’s, batteries and USB ports on Solo/Solo DL’s, lenses and batteries and supplied missing cables and antennas on SCHD’s, had to replace cameras and repair OLED’s on VBOX Lites, discovered that people bought these items from overseas and hence they had no warranty coverage or support, or were even different hardware compatibility than that sold in the US (PAL Video standard in the EU/UK/ROW, instead of NTSC in North America) which created all kinds of pain to get that straight.

Sure, you can kick out and find stuff out of a crashed car and rarely from someone “moving up,” but be careful...
Old 06-30-2019, 02:11 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Where? Where?

When this stuff does show up used, it’s usually not cheap, not more than a third less than new, and it’s pretty rare to see it listed.

Why? Because all the stuff that people want is current or near current and those that have the current stuff don’t want/need to sell.

Sure, you can kick out and find stuff out of a crashed car and rarely from someone “moving up,” but be careful...
Stuff comes up for sale every once in a while. Remember that I still run Gen I Smartycam as a back up. I think I paid $200 for it and it works like a charm. Also bought my VBOX Lite used and that still works pretty well. I’m also still running a Gen I Solo (bought new) that still works like clockwork without battery and firmware issues. Just saying that you don’t always have to buy new.
ProCoach (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 02:28 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Where? Where?
In Frank's case, right here when I need to upgrade to the latest gadget Hence his comment about them being so available
ProCoach (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 02:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
In Frank's case, right here when I need to upgrade to the latest gadget Hence his comment about them being so available
Hahahaha! In the right place, at the right time. Right next together under the same tent, too!
Old 06-30-2019, 03:16 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

As others have said, just buy an automated system (aim or vbox) and skip all of the mess.

All of the post production gets old real quick... My prediction: your first event, you will do it and marvel at how cool it is. Second event: you will do one or two sessions and start to get bored with it. Third event on: you won't go though the hassle.

With aim, you just pull the SD card and play it.. Simple... You can do it real time at the track so you have a reference for your next session.

Just my two cents.. Enjoy the journey, it's a lot of fun anyway you slice it.

FYI: I started way back using a mini dv camcorder... What a ****show how those things were.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:13 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82

All of the post production gets old real quick... My prediction: your first event, you will do it and marvel at how cool it is. Second event: you will do one or two sessions and start to get bored with it. Third event on: you won't go though the hassle.

How many licks does it take to get into the center of a Blow Pop lollipop? 3!

That was exactly what I was thinking.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:21 PM
993Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Piling on...

I started with Harry's and my iPhone, added an external GPS, then a GoPro. Issues - The GPS loses sync with the phone, dead batteries, forgot to start it, etc. Get yourself an automated system. With some patience you can find used gear and get a SmartyCam setup with Solo DL for under $1000. Or just buy it new, or a VBox. You will end up there anyway.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:23 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Where? Where?

Seriously, this stuff works or it doesn’t. I have taken trades on new equipment and had to replace LCD’s, batteries and USB ports on Solo/Solo DL’s, lenses and batteries and supplied missing cables and antennas on SCHD’s, had to replace cameras and repair OLED’s on VBOX Lites, discovered that people bought these items from overseas and hence they had no warranty coverage or support, or were even different hardware compatibility than that sold in the US (PAL Video standard in the EU/UK/ROW, instead of NTSC in North America) which created all kinds of pain to get that straight.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Stuff comes up for sale every once in a while. Remember that I still run Gen I Smartycam as a back up. I think I paid $200 for it and it works like a charm. Also bought my VBOX Lite used and that still works pretty well. I’m also still running a Gen I Solo (bought new) that still works like clockwork without battery and firmware issues. Just saying that you don’t always have to buy new.
I think it's a mix. It's not always easy to find used stuff, but it can be found with a little patience. I can't speak to other products but the AiM products are very, very robust. The withstand a lot of abuse, parts are available for all but the oldest systems, and repair prices/parts are very reasonably priced. I help people navigate the used market and get the items they need to finish their system. In my experience, it's been a lack of knowledge on the person selling things that they don't know everything that goes with the device.

For this thread, I think people are steering the OP correct. The Go Pro will be a ton of fun to use in other ways - shots of foot work, bumper cam, suspension cam, etc. Heck, I have 2 that my kids put on their helmets, bikes, and in the pool for videos all the time. You will find creative ways to make videos with it!

Quick Reply: Track day video set up