Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day video set up

Old 07-12-2019, 02:03 AM
Surfndav
User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, a lot of cool videos here. I got my set up and I've been playing with it. This is a test drive I did yesterday. I've got a long way to go, I'll get there.

The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (07-12-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 10:03 AM
Surfndav
User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542 View Post
I ran a similar setup for a couple of years. Speaking from experience you need to consider:
a) power, particularly the GoPro. It will eat at least 2 if not 3 batteries in a day. I ended up running a 12v powered USB 4 port hub, this allowed me to directly power the phone, camera, and GPS. ‘
b) setup - plan to get your act together 5 to 10 minutes earlier than you normally would (I’m talking about getting ready for your session). Sometimes these items don’t all connect properly and you want to have the time to reboot if needed.
c) make sure everything on your phone (apps) are closed and off, also shut off your cellular data (do NOT go to airplane mode as you still need the WiFi and Bluetooth to connect to the GoPro and OBD and GPS).
d) RaceRender is quite easy to use. Keep a copy of your Run Group schedule so you can easily see which data file goes with which video files, the timestamps will not be the same. I typically got a starting time on my data set and ending time on my video (guess as the file is closed). Once you’ve done it once it’s a cake walk.
e) use a sharp gear shift, like 2 to 3, to synchronize the data and the video. You will learn that if you exaggerate this shift, rev 2 all the way to the top and then make a slow deliberate shift, once when you first start it makes syncing easy.
Very good points, I may someday upgrade to a Vbox set up, for now, I've made my investment, which all in is about $600 all in. I've been practicing (see) the last post, and I'm getting used to it. I have noticed that it takes some setup and you need to make sure all components are working together. I have found that renaming the data file help when locating the file to sync it with the video file in Racerender. I will still get better, I don't have a trackday until September, so I have some time.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:35 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out the data forum - I posted a link to Race Technology where they have software that will allow you to get data from the GPS info on the Go Pro (if you have it) and export video overlays of the data on the video.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:56 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist Member
Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

https://www.race-technology.com/gb/r...deo_gopro-only

Just a GPS enabled GoPro needed. Gets most of the measures the Solo 2 does:
Old 07-13-2019, 01:51 PM
DTMiller
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach View Post
https://www.race-technology.com/gb/r...deo_gopro-only

Just a GPS enabled GoPro needed. Gets most of the measures the Solo 2 does:
How good is the GoPro refresh rate? Very intriguing entry level data and video setup if the data is any good. A hero5 black is under $250.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller View Post
How good is the GoPro refresh rate? Very intriguing entry level data and video setup if the data is any good. A hero5 black is under $250.
I believe it's 10 Hz. At $250 it may be a great a solution for some people.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:27 PM
DTMiller
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski View Post
I believe it's 10 Hz. At $250 it may be a great a solution for some people.
Found a GoPro support forum where these specs are listed:

~400 Hz 3-axis gyro readings
~200 Hz 3-axis accelerometer readings
~18 Hz GPS position (lat/lon/alt/spd)
1 Hz GPS timestamps
1 Hz GPS accuracy (cm) and fix (2d/3d)
1 Hz temperature of camera
Old 07-13-2019, 06:59 PM
cstyles
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Garmin Virb Ultra 30 can't be beat IMO for entry level video & data. The Garmin has 1080p & 4K, built in 10hz GPS, accelerometer, bluetooth for external sensors & automatic recording on application of power, automatic stop recording when power is cut (which allows for simple wiring to a fuse location which provides power on key insertion). My setup starts recording as soon as I insert the key, stops recording when I pull the key from ignition.

Paired with a $20 bluetooth OBDII sensor, the Garmin software spits out this:

Now full disclosure: while the Garmin software produces the above with incredible simplicity, it takes FOREVER to export to a final video @ 1080p & above. I am looking to upgrade to a SmartyCam HD to go with my Solo DL for instant playback capabilities. But the Garmin solution has been fantastic for my needs up to this point.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:24 PM
mdrums
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller View Post
Found a GoPro support forum where these specs are listed:

~400 Hz 3-axis gyro readings
~200 Hz 3-axis accelerometer readings
~18 Hz GPS position (lat/lon/alt/spd)
1 Hz GPS timestamps
1 Hz GPS accuracy (cm) and fix (2d/3d)
1 Hz temperature of camera
Are these good specs? I’m looking for a easy simple solution to record my track days in 4K and show a track map, rpm, speed, and timer. Harry’s times with my iPhone works but iPhone video is not watchable.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist Member
Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
Are these good specs? I’m looking for a easy simple solution to record my track days in 4K and show a track map, rpm, speed, and timer. Harry’s times with my iPhone works but iPhone video is not watchable.
The GoPro will not show a track map on the background. Doubt it will show RPM because there is no car connection. It will show speed and g’s, but not lap times. It will show total times.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:01 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums View Post

Are you really sure you have to have 4K? I find both the VBox and SmartycamHD video quality perfectly fine, particularly when you are viewing them on a laptop. For simplicity of use, it's hard to beat these two systems. They run off of the car's power, so you don't have to worry about charging a battery. They power up when you turn on the car, so you don't have to remember to turn them on. They know what track you are on. They know to start recording when you start driving. And they overlay data on the video in real time.

I wasted a lot of time over the years on fauxpros that inevitably ran out of power, didn't get turned on, recorded an hour of time in the paddock and then got turned off by the moron behind the wheel when he drove to grid...
Old 07-15-2019, 07:31 PM
mdrums
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

1080p would be fine.

I had Race-keeper at one time and they claimed 720p but lied. Video looked worse than old vhs..lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: