Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hans Advice (not be confused with Hans and Frans)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 09:14 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts
Default Hans Advice (not be confused with Hans and Frans)

I go to about 8 track days per year at Sebring. I know it is a broad question but which Hahns device do you recommend? I'm 5-11 180 pounds athletic build. Hopegully a forum sponsor can chime in so I can buy it from them

Also, might as well get one for my wife. She is 5-3 115 pounds athletic build.

Mistress is 5-9 120 pounds (just kidding) LOL
Old 06-24-2019, 09:42 AM
Topher06
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

flsupraguy:

Here is what I recommend: Hans III

Use the extra $$$ you save and invest in a set of Gel Pads. The stock foam pads compress over time and are hard on the collar bones.

I've tried the Simpson device and did not like the complicated strap system or the belt guides. Talk to Ron at Discovery Parts (or your local vendor) regarding sizing.

FYI- Check out this site for more gear recommendations: BumpDraft

*shameless plug*

-Cheers
Old 06-24-2019, 09:43 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Topher06
flsupraguy:

I've tried the Simpson device and did not like the complicated strap system or the belt guides. Talk to Ron at Discovery Parts (or your local vendor) regarding sizing.

*shameless plug*

-Cheers
Excellent. Thank you.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:04 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,238 Likes on 1,576 Posts

When at the track see if you can borrow one from someone to see how it fits. Things feel differently once you start moving around in a car on track.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:16 AM
mrRed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Schroth SHR flex a few years ago as I'd like to try out some open wheel stuff at some point and didn't want multiple HNR devices. The SHR can accommodate various seating angles which the HANS could not at the time (I'm not sure if that's still the case).

I was wearing it during a relatively minor (40MPH) frontal-side impact recently and it did limit lateral movement of my head (you can see on the video when the tether catches and change/stops the motion of my head), as I was not in a halo seat.

The device is hard on the collar bones though. If I'm not using it every 3-4 weeks I will get a small sore spot where it rests, although it's really minor and NABD. Gel pads would be a nice addition. I don't notice it while in the car, but usually in the evening or next day I will notice a small tender area or even little red mark.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:19 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Topher06
flsupraguy:

Use the extra $$$ you save and invest in a set of Gel Pads. The stock foam pads compress over time and are hard on the collar bones.

*shameless plug*

-Cheers
Thank you. It appears my helmet does not have any anchors. Is it possible to order without anchors or should I purchase upgraded helmets as well?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:59 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mrRed
I bought the Schroth SHR flex a few years ago as I'd like to try out some open wheel stuff at some point and didn't want multiple HNR devices. The SHR can accommodate various seating angles which the HANS could not at the time (I'm not sure if that's still the case).

I was wearing it during a relatively minor (40MPH) frontal-side impact recently and it did limit lateral movement of my head (you can see on the video when the tether catches and change/stops the motion of my head), as I was not in a halo seat.

The device is hard on the collar bones though. If I'm not using it every 3-4 weeks I will get a small sore spot where it rests, although it's really minor and NABD. Gel pads would be a nice addition. I don't notice it while in the car, but usually in the evening or next day I will notice a small tender area or even little red mark.

the SHR Flex now comes with padding on the shoulders so it's not as hard on the collar bone.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 06-25-2019, 10:01 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I go to about 8 track days per year at Sebring. I know it is a broad question but which Hahns device do you recommend? I'm 5-11 180 pounds athletic build. Hopegully a forum sponsor can chime in so I can buy it from them

Also, might as well get one for my wife. She is 5-3 115 pounds athletic build.

Mistress is 5-9 120 pounds (just kidding) LOL
If you are barrel chested (athltic build), the HANS III may not work. The angle of the device is based on the angle of your chest sitting in the car. The Schroth SHR flex may work better as it moves with you. Or you could do a Hans 30 degree. Feel free to call us with questions as we are a Rennlist sponsor too!
Old 06-25-2019, 01:05 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

4 shoulderbelt hans specific harness solves all hans pain and improves hans function according to dr. Melvin. Negative is added cost, increased install difficulty, slower driver change over. Pluses increased safety, increased comfort like it isn't even there. When uncontained one of early hans complaints was wing popping out from belts. With the quad 3" shoulder is always on the body. 2" holds hans. So even if hans pops out you are still retained. Everything is improved with full containment seat. I have used this style about 15 years since available after development with schroth and mark weber.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

One thing to consider if you are an Instructor is the student's restraint system, which is why I went with a Hybrid system that will "work" (know of none with extensive research in this area) with std. 3 point belts. If not instructing stick with a std. HANS type system, which is what I went back to upon ceasing right-seat instructing.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:09 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
If you are barrel chested (athltic build), the HANS III may not work. The angle of the device is based on the angle of your chest sitting in the car. The Schroth SHR flex may work better as it moves with you. Or you could do a Hans 30 degree. Feel free to call us with questions as we are a Rennlist sponsor too!
Cool. I'm looking at your SHR Flex Large (since I have a 17.5 inch neck) https://apexperformance.net/product/shr-flex/

My helmet doesnt appear to have the metal anchors though, is that a problem?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:18 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Cool. I'm looking at your SHR Flex Large (since I have a 17.5 inch neck) https://apexperformance.net/product/shr-flex/

My helmet doesnt appear to have the metal anchors though, is that a problem?
the flex comes with helmet hardware that will mount right in to the threaded holes if your sa15 helnet

if you already have hardware in the helmet, you can remove those and I stall the flex helmet hardware
Old 06-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Re the Girlfriend/Wife:
For a woman driver who it petite, I found the HANS to be less than ideal and would highly recommend the Simpson Hybrid S.

I never tried on the Schroth FLEX, because I was instructing and was more interested in a device that I could use w three-point systems in addition to harnesses.

When I ordered my Simpson Hybrid S directly from the manufacturer in 2017, they said customization for women drivers was free.
They asked for upper torso measurements. They did not ask any questions about neck dimensions.
I sent back a hand drawn diagram with the requested info.

When I received it 3 days later, everything fit perfectly except the tethers which looked longish.
Interestingly, the device has two sets of tethering on each side. One is a horizontal set, like the HANS. The second is in a vertical direction. The tethers strap had a label that said L, presumably for Large.

This past Sunday, I was involved in a HARD hit at relatively high speeds.
Both cars are un-drivable, most likely totaled.
The video is sickening to watch.
Both drivers walked away. Upset, but intact.

I believe that the Simpson Hybrid S was critical to my being able to walk away from the incident, because it was custom fitted to me.
I say this for two reasons:

1. I am so short that the harness straps only partly cover the HybridS, and the chest circumference strap was critical to counterweighting the shearing G forces acting on the skull. I had a HANS before, and a friend had commented on how the harness straps barely cleared the base of my helmet to cover the HANS. I remember saying I thought that the chest strap would serve an additional role, and I believe it did.

2. Re the tethers, I just happened to be looking at the tethers Saturday afternoon after the second race, and again thought they seemed too long. But they are adjustable, and so I spent about 30 min kind of absentmindedly tightening each of them down to 2 inches in all directions while chatting w my codriver for the enduro on Sunday.
Monday morning, after the crash, I measured the tethers on my HybS device.
On the side of the impact both tethers have stretched out to 5 inches and 6 inches respectively. On the opposite side the horizontal one is 5 inches and the vertical tether is 3 inches in length. The asymmetry is visible and striking.

I'm sending the device back for new tethers.

Impact was on the right side. Prior to impact each tether was 2 inches in length. After impact, the right tethers are 5 and 6 inches, the left side are 5 and 3.5 inches. The greatest stretch was in the horizontal tethers (which the HANS device has) but there was also lots of stretch in the vertical tethers (which the HANS device does not have.)

Last edited by Dr911; 06-26-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-26-2019, 09:51 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Glad you are OK - we do sell the Hybrid S to many folks that drive and instruct as it works with stock 3-point seatbelts as well as racing harnesses. Being a woman, I do not prefer the Hybrid as I am somewhat larger chested and I don't like the straps under the girl *****. And the tethers come down over the nipple line which can be uncomfortable; however, Simpson can modify the Hybrid to fit women by getting their measurements and they can angle the shoulder strapping so it does not hit directly over the center of the breast. We've had some women get the custom made devices (I believe it's a $50 upcharge) but they are very happy with them. Right now, it's the only thing out there that gives head & neck protection with a 3 point seatbelt setup. Other restraints require the shoulder belts to keep the device on your body.

You may want to have Simpson recertify the device since it was involved in an accident but if the body of the device doesn't show any signs of stress/cracking/etc, replacing the tethers is a must.

Linda
Old 06-26-2019, 10:49 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Linda, I'll ask their rep (?I think Barbara) if recertification is needed. Great point!

Re customization: when I ordered my Simpson HybS in 2017 there was zero up-charge for women drivers from the manufacturer.
It's possible that the $50 upcharge is something implemented since then.

Quick Reply: Hans Advice (not be confused with Hans and Frans)