Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

the title of this post makes me think of this movie

Old 06-23-2019, 11:56 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
So 911 CUP why aren't you at your special race at VIR ???
Sitting it out until they change the date...

Swap it with Lime Rock - win, win for both events. Done.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

DMTD was pretty warm this year, but you missed a pleasant, dry and breezy weekend in the low to mid eighties...
Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
DMTD was pretty warm this year, but you missed a pleasant, dry and breezy weekend in the low to mid eighties...
Imagine it in the low to mid seventies and Lime Rock without sleet and snow.....
Old 06-24-2019, 10:25 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Imagine driving....regardless of temp.......much better than not
The following users liked this post:
NaroEscape (06-27-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:46 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's hope the regions make Vintage happen everywhere. I heard out west, it had to be canceled for low numbers (6). (Let it happen, for goodness sakes.) PCA knows who owns these models and DE/race chairs could certainly invite them to go racing! Go get a 356 driver or two (old Class A* if one remembers)....Put ads everywhere, too. *Then move Class A models to simply: Vintage.

Sadly, the years of 30 drivers in Class E (and Class B) are gone, and I wish the numbers would come back. Now I know some of these posts are joking or sarcastic. However, our cars are aging, but other conditions exist (from weather to .....). In particular, you always want entry-level racers to join and stay, which the letters have done.

It seems PCA is trending towards spec- and model-based series, unfortunately for those who like E. But having duplicate places a single model can go spreads out a low audience even more. So I put in a long-term rules proposal to have PCA study this and find solutions. Racer feedback is critical. So if PCA puts out something that impacts you, please respond during rules feedback.

P
Old 06-24-2019, 12:00 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Imagine it in the low to mid seventies and Lime Rock without sleet and snow.....
This has been proposed time and time again, but for as much complaining about the heat, the VA people have been resistant to the change! All of us here at CVR would love nothing better to make the swap happen.

I like that the OP starts off the thread with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the back of the head! PCA is good at subdividing classes and making them all useless. Look at what happened to H and I with the introduction of SPC. They should probably kill both letter classes and combine it with SPC if they want to do the right thing.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:42 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I ran 911 cup and the vintage group this weekend and had a great time! I'm exhausted with all that track time, but really enjoyed both groups. The vintage group reminded me a lot of running with HSR. The only downside with running an E 911 in vintage is that it doesn't class very well. The way I understand it, its split at the 3 liter displacement and most of the vintage 911's in my class (VO) had way more motor (and I assume less weight) than my E/3 liter 911. Regardless, super fun and would do it again.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
This has been proposed time and time again, but for as much complaining about the heat, the VA people have been resistant to the change! All of us here at CVR would love nothing better to make the swap happen.
I would think track scheduling would come into this...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-24-2019, 06:19 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 519 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Everyone seems to forget that it's not up to the region/zone as to what track days they get...its up to the track. The weekend of the PCA Limerock race is the World Challenge weekend weekend at VIR so not possible to swap even if they wanted to. And lets not get into the 'what about the DE weekend in March" thing...think about it... you have a wildly successful DE in March that makes a lot of money for the zone. So yeah...lets swap it with a race that will make very little money if any at all, and move the money making event to the day that 'its really hot but we want you to come anyway' weekend. There are a ton of choices for DE's at VIR - only one race weekend.

Those that skipped this year really missed out. Temps were perfect. Upper 70's/low 80 all weekend, 60's at night.

And those that have the midset that Vintage Races are just parading around, try telling that to us at the front of the pack scraping for every 1/10 of a sec we could find. I set personal bests BY A WIDE MARGIN this weekend as did many of us. Hustling a 45 year old car around that track in 2:07 may not be flying, but its' not slow...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 06-24-2019, 06:21 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 519 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I ran 911 cup and the vintage group this weekend and had a great time! I'm exhausted with all that track time, but really enjoyed both groups. The vintage group reminded me a lot of running with HSR. The only downside with running an E 911 in vintage is that it doesn't class very well. The way I understand it, its split at the 3 liter displacement and most of the vintage 911's in my class (VO) had way more motor (and I assume less weight) than my E/3 liter 911. Regardless, super fun and would do it again.
At the moment, the VO/VU split is 2.4 liter. There are going to be some adjustments next year to VO since it kinda catches way too many years/engines/configurations.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:03 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
At the moment, the VO/VU split is 2.4 liter. There are going to be some adjustments next year to VO since it kinda catches way too many years/engines/configurations.
What are the engine rules for the VO class? That's where they put me and I was running against (or trying to anyway) similar looking cars that had wayyyy more power. I had fun regardless, but didn't really have an understanding as to how the cars were grouped together.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I think it's just primarily engine displacement, just like HSR classes, Andrew, but I don't know.

It's also like HSR in the fact that some people run 2.7's, some run stock 3.2 injected street motors and some run to the max PMO'd full-race motors, so there's always a pretty big spread, even within the displacement split.
The following users liked this post:
leelasberg (06-26-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:51 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I think it's just primarily engine displacement, just like HSR classes, Andrew, but I don't know.

It's also like HSR in the fact that some people run 2.7's, some run stock 3.2 injected street motors and some run to the max PMO'd full-race motors, so there's always a pretty big spread, even within the displacement split.
I would imagine it's pretty hard to break those cars up with such a relatively small group. My 3 liter makes about 200hp, but I have friends that race 3 liters and their cars make 350-375hp. I guess it's one of those it is what it is scenarios and just for fun anyway.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:06 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Definitely not. It's a less aggressive, more relaxed, gentleman like racing environment. Good and experienced drivers nevertheless.
Yeah right Frank.

Quick Reply: Where art thou, 911 CUP