Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

safecraft window net PCA clubrace legallity?

Old 06-20-2019, 05:01 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default safecraft window net PCA clubrace legallity?

https://www.safecraftracing.com/safe...ng-net-8111-k/

I have seen them in IMSA GT4 cars
I am looking to buy one as i dont like my current setup and want to confirm that they are allowed in PCA clubracing before buying one.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:39 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

It does not appear to be a window net. Unless you have a rather oddly shaped window, I don't see it doing the job.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:51 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

When GT4 Clubsports that used these nets started running in GTD, we had many calls by corner workers, reporting "no window net" and hence a black flag. It was annoying for everybody, especially for drivers that were called in for no reason. The drivers subsequently either installed real nets or converted to MRs with fixed windows or ran with air restraints.

In PCA I have only seen this type of net successfully used on some Spec Boxsters with the front attachment point high up as the window opening on these cars is relatively small.

I would advise against using them for PCA, especially in a 996 Cup as they are just not big enough.
The following users liked this post:
MarcD147 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:26 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

cc
Old 06-20-2019, 07:26 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

In my car this is a right right widow net for head containment in a crash. I believe they are used as left side window nets where there is a window instead of a net for the same reason as the rs.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:25 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
https://www.safecraftracing.com/safe...ng-net-8111-k/

I have seen them in IMSA GT4 cars
I am looking to buy one as i dont like my current setup and want to confirm that they are allowed in PCA clubracing before buying one.
You also see them in IMSA GTLM, GTD and a host of other series GT cars.

Normally used in pairs - window and center position in conjunction with a halo seat and fixed side windows. If your car has fixed plexiglass side windows, these nets satisfy the rules.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:06 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Default any other recommendations?

I guess good that I asked prior to buying as I dont like needless black flags...

as Frank noted I will be using it in my 996 cup which doesnt have a window

Any other recommendations? (I especially liked the really crisp release button from the safecraft net)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:31 AM
dogger15
Racer

That one button quick release is a nice feature, less cumbersome than a standard window net. When the net is fitted with a bungee cord, one push and it snaps out of the way allowing for easy quick egress if needed (emergencies or driver changes).

On the down side, this net requires a mount for the female end of the quick release. Porsche sells a clamp on mount, but it cost more than both nets combined. I got lucky because my car came with a mount from it’s Grand Am days.

For your application, sounds like you will be limited to a drop net. I don’t know if there is anything better available.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:57 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

In my experience that is a containment net, not a window net. They serve two different purposes. The containment net, when properly installed is there to supplement the seat. The window net serves two purposes. One to keep large debris from entering the car, and two to keep arms from extending outside the door in a roll over. On my old body style 911 I have two containment nets on either side of my halo seat, and a full window net.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:25 PM
dogger15
Racer

Originally Posted by 993944S2
In my experience that is a containment net, not a window net. They serve two different purposes. The containment net, when properly installed is there to supplement the seat. The window net serves two purposes. One to keep large debris from entering the car, and two to keep arms from extending outside the door in a roll over. On my old body style 911 I have two containment nets on either side of my halo seat, and a full window net.
That's the way I understand it as well. If running with no side windows, a window net is required in combination with the containment nets to meet the rules.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:39 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Does PCA specify if it has to be a seat belt latch or is spring loaded allowed?
Old 06-21-2019, 01:56 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

the way I read it spring loaded is allowed..

Adding relevant part of rulebook:

Except as otherwise specified, all cars will have both front door windows removed or down before being allowed to race and an approved window net must adequately cover the window opening area on the driver’s side (See Appendix D). "Adequate" means that the net covers all portions of the driver's door window opening through which a hand or head of the driver, with the seat in the driving position, is likely to protrude outside the car in a crash. If a window net will adequately prevent the driver's helmet from getting outside the car but not protect hands, the driver may race if arm restraints (both arms) are used in conjunction with the window net.

APPENDIX D - WINDOW NET SPECIFICATIONS
All vehicles competing in the PCA Club Racing Program, other than those with factory-type non-glass sliding windows must be equipped with a window net covering the driver’s window opening of either the string or strap type. The net must be mounted securely to the roll cage with provision for easy removal by the driver and corner worker in the event of an accident. The removal mechanism must at the top, so that the net will fall down when released. The use of straps to attach the bottom of the net to the cage is allowed. Separate straps, plastic buckles, and other attachment means are allowed if supplied by the manufacturer of the net or specified in the manufacturer's mounting instructions. However, the use of plastic tie raps or elastic cords is not allowed.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:58 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
the way I read it spring loaded is allowed..

Adding relevant part of rulebook:

Except as otherwise specified, all cars will have both front door windows removed or down before being allowed to race and an approved window net must adequately cover the window opening area on the driver’s side (See Appendix D). "Adequate" means that the net covers all portions of the driver's door window opening through which a hand or head of the driver, with the seat in the driving position, is likely to protrude outside the car in a crash. If a window net will adequately prevent the driver's helmet from getting outside the car but not protect hands, the driver may race if arm restraints (both arms) are used in conjunction with the window net.

APPENDIX D - WINDOW NET SPECIFICATIONS
All vehicles competing in the PCA Club Racing Program, other than those with factory-type non-glass sliding windows must be equipped with a window net covering the driver’s window opening of either the string or strap type. The net must be mounted securely to the roll cage with provision for easy removal by the driver and corner worker in the event of an accident. The removal mechanism must at the top, so that the net will fall down when released. The use of straps to attach the bottom of the net to the cage is allowed. Separate straps, plastic buckles, and other attachment means are allowed if supplied by the manufacturer of the net or specified in the manufacturer's mounting instructions. However, the use of plastic tie raps or elastic cords is not allowed.
I like the spring mounted idea. Interested to hear anyone's feedback. I find the seat belt latch to be a bit cumbersome...
Old 06-21-2019, 02:47 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They are homologated in our GT4 mustangs as well as many other gt4 cars, but keep in mind, we also run full lexan door windows.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:46 PM
dogger15
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
I like the spring mounted idea. Interested to hear anyone's feedback. I find the seat belt latch to be a bit cumbersome...
I have this set up in my car. Easy one handed operation to egress. The net release button is close to the door handle and pull. Haven't had the opportunity to test how well it works in a crash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: safecraft window net PCA clubrace legallity?