Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dude sold all his track cars and built a $20K sim racing rig.... crazy or brilliant?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 02:21 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
This is actually something that they've used for a demo on a traveling sim for some time. It's like the Tab command in iRacing for the predictive lap timing bar, but better and adds the ability to capture the sim video and data for later analysis in Circuit Tools 2.

I learned how to use MoTeC Interpreter (forerunner of i2 Standard and Pro) using GTR2 and GTR2 simulations and many people find ATLAS to be too cumbersome for simple analysis within iRacing.

Like real cars, the sim generated data using the mu plug-in in iRacing to output MoTeC .ld files makes good graphs and charts, but in practical use, the addition of synced video, WITHIN the analysis window, allows for better conclusions and easier assimilation of the information.

It's cool! About $1240 and should be available in August before Labor Day. You can pull the logger and predictive timer off the sim and put it in the real car, too.
Being able to use it in both the real car and sim has to be a great selling point. Curious could you overlay your real data with the sim data and vice a versa? Thank you for the explanation.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Curious could you overlay your real data with the sim data and vice a versa?
Yes, and that's a really good thing. The key would be similar cars (don't have to be exact), but if the shape of the speed trace or LongG were different in one or the other (on the same track, real versus sim), that's where you would want to focus on next...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
ajcjr (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I don’t think anybody has ever said the sim is a replacement or “the same.” And, bashing people that are into sims just for bashing sake is petty.

My my own view is it is definitely a great tool, and definitely infinitely more enjoyable than turning laps at a DE. I doubt I’ll ever invest the time DEing again, unless it is to get back on the to wheel2wheel track. For the time being, I am really enjoying my new sim.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
I don’t think anybody has ever said the sim is a replacement or “the same.” And, bashing people that are into sims just for bashing sake is petty.

My my own view is it is definitely a great tool, and definitely infinitely more enjoyable than turning laps at a DE. I doubt I’ll ever invest the time DEing again, unless it is to get back on the to wheel2wheel track. For the time being, I am really enjoying my new sim.
Agreed. Sims are really cool and ones like the Dallara sim above are pretty amazing pieces of equipment. Guys like Lewis Hamilton's brother are HUGE sim racers.

As an aside, I was in the hardware store this weekend. The kids looks at my shirt and says "Trailbrake? Like in racing?" Turns out he's a huge sim racer since he was 13 (18 now). I figure anything that gets people involved in motorsports is great.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, the Cruden Hexapods that form the foundation for Dallara, Toyota in Germany, Multimatic and most of the top F1 teams are amazing.

There were two of the earlier versions across the street from my office at the Virginia Institute for Performance Engineering and Research (VIPER) facility (also has seven-point pulldown rig). Boris Said and I got sick on them!

Neat story about the kid.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:18 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Cool story about the kid! I can’t even imagine having this stuff at that age. Far better and healthier hobby compared to what a lot of kids get into in those years.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

No sims and the real thing are not the same - however that does not mean that sims are not fun nor useful.

I learned to trailbrake in the '67 F1 cars of Grand Prix Legends over a decade before I drove a real car on a real racetrack. After doing it with those flighty "F1" cars, doing it in the real thing was cake.

It also never rains in GPL

-Mike
Old 06-25-2019, 10:53 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TXE36
No sims and the real thing are not the same - however that does not mean that sims are not fun nor useful.

I learned to trailbrake in the '67 F1 cars of Grand Prix Legends over a decade before I drove a real car on a real racetrack.

-Mike
If you could drive laps at the original Spa in GPL without crashing, driving IS a piece of cake after that!

No, of course sims and actual driving are not the same, but I’ll tell you a story.

Many years ago, I had a remote coaching client racing a Williams FW07 at Laguna Seca in August. His first time there.

We had practiced together before on iRacing using his springs, roll bar settings, ride height, tire pressures, gearing on the sim.

When he got there, he was in the deep end with a bunch of drivers who raced there all the time. He did a 1:24.2 and was 12th out of 24 F1 cars in practice. He sent me his data.

I sat down in my static sim and did a 1:23.6 (all with his settings) and overlaid the data. I suggested a better methodology through T2, T5 and between T8A and T9 and sent the overlay back to him.

He went out and qualified at a 1:23.6, 8th out of 22 cars. He sent me his data.

I sat down on the sim, made a change to the gearing that his crew had made before qualifying and did a 1:22.8. Overlaid the data and suggested MPS in a two places, different EoB in two places and an enhanced overview of where he might push without adding more risk.

In the race, he went out and did a 1:22.6 and finished 3rd or 4th, I can’t remember, overjoyed at the result. So was I... He sent me his data.

It was beautiful. I think that we can all talk about what we’d like to do, or what we should do, but in the end, it’s what you DID.

But you have to do it with validation, with detail and with a LOT more work than just “sending it.” Sims are WAY more than toys. They’re tools... Good ones.
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
ajcjr (06-25-2019), Paul Solk (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:36 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This is a story on Nicolas Hamilton racing. Very cool that he beats Lewis in the sim!

ajcjr (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 02:02 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Very cool video, i never knew he had that disability but its amazing how people fight threw them and dont let it get in the way of their goals.

I never tried project cars, only Iracing, any pros or cons to it? Worth the buy?
Old 06-25-2019, 03:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, worth the buy. Watkins Glen is killer!
ajcjr (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 03:20 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

I think project cars 2 is OK and more of a game. I haven’t been able to get it to work with my new hardware.

Lots of interesting cars.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Talking about sims and real life, Simmetric Labs, who has a mobile sim rig at most of the IMSA races this year, is working with Vbox on the system. I would presume they are a developement partner/beta for it all.

View this post on Instagram
Old 06-25-2019, 07:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Talking about sims and real life, Simmetric Labs, who has a mobile sim rig at most of the IMSA races this year, is working with Vbox on the system. I would presume they are a developement partner/beta for it all.
No, the data only sim system serial output has been in place for trade shows like Autosport UJ and Cologne to show off the VBOX Lap Timer for several years.

Several of us have been testing the SimPack (which integrates video capture for use along with the VBOX LapTimer data for use in Circuit Tools 2, for side by side and TBL sector comparison, like in real life) for sometime.

Greg at Simmetric will integrate the SimPack in his offerings at the track, as well as help provide VBOX support at events he attends.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:18 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

When the sim is built correctly, with the correct software, and driven with the correct mindset, there is no tool that beats it.
eSports drivers are going to quickly start becoming real pro drivers, then the market will hit where eRacing will be so big that they will stay there.

As for data, I can export iRacing data to MoTeC. Took iRacing setups and put them on the real cars. They won in MX5 Cup

Quick Reply: Dude sold all his track cars and built a $20K sim racing rig.... crazy or brilliant?