Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

What happened to the Professor?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:10 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
Probably working a pro race this weekend as steward...
Old 06-23-2019, 09:56 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

In before self destruct sequence....
Old 06-24-2019, 01:29 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
I think we need to give the professor a pass - He’s just a race steward. With the penalty assessed on Sergio Perez yesterday on lap 1 for doing everything correctly as detailed in a pre-race briefing and still given a 5 second penalty, it’s clear that the rules problem in F1 is directly related to the new race director who took over for Charlie Whiting (RIP).

In both instances in Canada and France, the race director should have asked that Vettel and Perez give back the position. Instead it was given to the race stewards who have only a 5 sec penalty as their
Old 06-24-2019, 01:45 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
I think we need to give the professor a pass - He’s just a race steward. With the penalty assessed on Sergio Perez yesterday on lap 1 for doing everything correctly as detailed in a pre-race briefing and still given a 5 second penalty, it’s clear that the rules problem in F1 is directly related to the new race director who took over for Charlie Whiting (RIP).

In both instances in Canada and France, the race director should have asked that Vettel and Perez give back the position. Instead it was given to the race stewards who have only a 5 sec penalty as their
Agree about Perez. What should have he done differently to avoid that 5 sec penalty? Park it off the track, count the cars as they pass by, then get back behind the exact car that was ahead of him before he left the track? How's that supposed to work? Or maybe let everyone go by and enter the track last? Ridiculous.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:46 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Somebody ringing my doorbell ? Just tuning back in, after a week-long sojourn into the wilds of Racerland.

Originally Posted by multi21
...With the penalty assessed on Sergio Perez yesterday on lap 1 for doing everything correctly as detailed in a pre-race briefing and still given a 5 second penalty, it’s clear that the rules problem in F1 is directly related to the new race director who took over for Charlie Whiting (RIP).
Well...no, actually. According to the Race Director's comments about instructions at the Driver Briefing, Perez did not fully comply. See comments here - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...-penalty-angst

The important part - "In race notes sent to teams before the race, Masi made it clear drivers could only rejoin the track when it was safe to do so and without a lasting advantage". Note the red part. I would have embiggened, and made it flash, but meh. Not working that hard. You have to read the whole rule, not just stop half-way through. The "...without a lasting advantage" thing is kinda important.

The Race Director's instructions at a Driver Briefing hold the weight of a rule.

While Perez did "round the bollard", he did gain an advantage returning to the track.

Why/how did Perez manage to negotiate the off-track, go around the bollard and still gain an advantage ? Well...those things are positioned with the idea of full-speed race traffic, not an accordion-stack of cars on the first lap. Also note this part of the article -

"This was because drivers had requested that, in the event of gaining positions, they should only be advised of problems that happen at the very first corner.

"It was an open discussion with them in Canada and they all said 'you need to draw the line somewhere and once we get out of that [first] sequence, where it is what it is, we will live with that decision'," he said".

So, IMO, nothing to debate here. I'll recite here what I originally posted on this thread - "Please let us know, in advance, which rules you would like us to ignore each weekend". That would make things a whole lot simpler.

My weekend was fairly chill, other than yelling at a track F&C/ES communicator a couple times. "Don't stretch tow-ropes across my hot race track", or some things to that effect. Only once had to type "Drive-through penalty on Car # X, for xxxxxxxx-something" on the messaging system, all weekend. Yay.

PHT

The following users liked this post:
Manifold (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 05:59 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
"Masi explained the one way in which Perez could have avoided a penalty.
He said: "If Sergio had chosen coming out of Turn 6 to drop back behind those two cars, I think we would have looked at it and said he has created his own disadvantage actually.""

This makes sense. If I gained an advantage by going off track (and "passed" two cars that were ahead of me), I too would expect some penalty ("disadvantage" to even things out) if I didn't drop behind them voluntarily.

Quick Reply: Canadian Grand Prix - Great Race Ruined by Stewards