Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Default Volkswagen shatters Nürburgring record by 35 seconds

https://blog.dupontregistry.com/pors...t-nurburgring/

Old 06-04-2019, 11:38 AM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Watched for 2 minutes and had to shut it off. No glorious engine noise, no popping and cracklings exhausts. This might be the future but i hate it. Sounds like a Hoover vacuum.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:44 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

That sound is just not natural. Yuck!!!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:47 AM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

And yet I still have no interest at all...
Old 06-04-2019, 11:57 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Yup, I tired really hard to watch a Formula-E support race a few days ago. A dozen silent Jaguar's chasing each other around the track. I only made it 4-5 laps.

In an ironic twist, the idea of racing being used to advance street cars this is the natural cycle. But at the same time people need to be interested enough to actually watch it.

How long before the FIA monkey's up the LeMans rules so bad an electric race car with quick change batteries is the lead prototype?
Old 06-04-2019, 11:59 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

My biggest gripe is none of these electric vehicles are "electric powered", they have an electric drive that is powered by energy stored in batteries that comes mainly from evil coal, evil natural gas, evil hydro or (gasp!) super evil nuclear power plants. There may be this teeny-tiny percent that is powered by holy sun or holy wind.

When I can buy a reasonably priced electric car with a 300 mile range that can be recharged in 5 minutes, then maybe I'll take an interest.

-Mike
Old 06-04-2019, 12:03 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Impressive, but the RC car sound is annoying - I could not watch more than a couple of minutes.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:11 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TXE36
My biggest gripe is none of these electric vehicles are "electric powered", they have an electric drive that is powered by energy stored in batteries that comes mainly from evil coal, evil natural gas, evil hydro or (gasp!) super evil nuclear power plants. There may be this teeny-tiny percent that is powered by holy sun or holy wind.
I suppose it depends where you are.
Almost 20% of the electricity in Germany comes from wind and I've never heard rational negativity towards hydro electricity. In fact some parts of the world they are expanding with new(er) technologies such as wave generated electricity.
Natural Gas is considered a clean energy (at least compared to coal) - it's a primary reason why the US is scoring rather well on the global doomsday list of dirtiest countries.
Germany also increased it's solar production by 68% last year over previous years.

Many factories have gone "green" to some extent. Some even claiming to be 100% renewable:
https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...vwsachsen.html
Starting this year, the three production plants of Volkswagen Sachsen GmbH have been supplied with Volkswagen Naturstrom electric power from 100% renewable sources by VW Kraftwerk GmbH.
The technology is moving at a very rapid pace.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:14 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That's the beauty of watching the video at the office... sound is turned off
Old 06-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

title is a bit misleading, they beat the electric car record but are still about 45 seconds off the overall record set by the 919
Old 06-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Barf
Old 06-04-2019, 02:19 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I suppose it depends where you are.
Almost 20% of the electricity in Germany comes from wind and I've never heard rational negativity towards hydro electricity. In fact some parts of the world they are expanding with new(er) technologies such as wave generated electricity.
Natural Gas is considered a clean energy (at least compared to coal) - it's a primary reason why the US is scoring rather well on the global doomsday list of dirtiest countries.
Germany also increased it's solar production by 68% last year over previous years.

Many factories have gone "green" to some extent. Some even claiming to be 100% renewable:
https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...vwsachsen.html

The technology is moving at a very rapid pace.
As an engineer, I feel hydro is nearly the perfect energy source where it is available, but there are those worried about fish or other nature concerns that oppose it.

None of these energy sources address the long recharge times and, while I'm on my high horse, even if the energy source and charge time issues are addressed, the electrical grid is completely unprepared for the load. Then there is the issue of the environmental damage caused by making and disposing of the batteries.

While a single car offers an individual freedom, it really is a system based upon an economical and reliable distributed energy system (today hydrocarbons rule), the car, and road infrastructure. Evaluation of electric vehicles is incomplete if does not address the energy distribution issues - both recharge times and quantity.

Now stick a Mr. Fusion on an electric drive train and I'll be interested.

-Mike
Old 06-04-2019, 02:54 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Now stick a Mr. Fusion on an electric drive train and I'll be interested.

-Mike
Only works on DeLoreans.....
Old 06-04-2019, 03:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

When you MUST provide taxpayer subsidies to get people to buy electric cars....they are a failed business model. When people buy them in droves with no subsidies, then you have a viable product. Let the market decide.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:15 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

That's so cool that someone posted a picture of their remote control car. It almost looks real.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen shatters Nürburgring record by 35 seconds