Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 09:39 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You look where you want the car to go.
And bring rain tires.
Rain tires? Beyond the usual reason for rain tires?

Don't want to drag this too far off topic, maybe it is worth its own thread. I think what facelvega was getting at, and what I'm getting at, is it seems it would be much more difficult for a newbie to learn to track drive at WGI versus the tracks out here in TX with generous low-risk run off. If I take my Texas offs over the last 10 years and add the WGI barriers to them I would have totaled at least 3 cars.

Perhaps it is like Hong Kong's old Kai Tak airport - the approach was so risky it kept everyone on their toes and, in practice, the place did not have an excessive number of incidents compared to "safer" airports.

At times the idea of driving WGI scares the hell out of me, yet is item #1 on my bucket list - I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to drive it.

-Mike
Old 06-04-2019, 11:14 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Rain tires? Beyond the usual reason for rain tires?

Don't want to drag this too far off topic, maybe it is worth its own thread. I think what facelvega was getting at, and what I'm getting at, is it seems it would be much more difficult for a newbie to learn to track drive at WGI versus the tracks out here in TX with generous low-risk run off. If I take my Texas offs over the last 10 years and add the WGI barriers to them I would have totaled at least 3 cars.

Perhaps it is like Hong Kong's old Kai Tak airport - the approach was so risky it kept everyone on their toes and, in practice, the place did not have an excessive number of incidents compared to "safer" airports.

At times the idea of driving WGI scares the hell out of me, yet is item #1 on my bucket list - I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to drive it.

-Mike
In my experience, people do drive a 1/2 or 1/4 notch down at WGI compared to other tracks. I went there very early and there are spots where self preservation instincts kick in and spots where you can push the car like at other tracks. Driving on pretty much any east coast track would feel like imminent danger compared to a lot of west coast tracks. Tracks out here aren't built on plots of flat dusty land with nothing for miles. Someone said 2 mph increments up above; I'd edit that to 0.2 mph increments.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:09 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Definitely do it! Even if you only drive at 7/10ths, it's an experience worth having!
Old 06-07-2019, 01:12 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
In my experience, people do drive a 1/2 or 1/4 notch down at WGI compared to other tracks. I went there very early and there are spots where self preservation instincts kick in and spots where you can push the car like at other tracks. Driving on pretty much any east coast track would feel like imminent danger compared to a lot of west coast tracks. Tracks out here aren't built on plots of flat dusty land with nothing for miles.
I have raced 25 US tracks in last few years 90% just a practice session, a qualy, and then raced it. 1st thing I do is go ask a couple locals or track worker who races where the "gotchas" are on this track. People won't give up their line speed secrets but they will tell you about blood and guts. Often the skid marks and armco paint tell the tale. Look for them. You learn real quick what happens on dirt vs, tarmac, vs grass. Don't be fooled. The fence at VIR isn't far enough away. That grass runoff may as well be black ice. Western track dirt is no panacea. Rutted dessert makes for easy roll over. I'm number "88" because I learned when you are upside my number still reads "88." Proud blue WGI Armco doesn't lie to you. Hitting it is going to suck!
Old 06-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

Very funny.

I have never driven at Willow Springs. I can imagine some pretty interesting scenarios with "beginners from the LA area" and instructors in expensive cars. Especially beginners planning to only have one experience driving in anger on a race track.

I am glad that his example was not a Porsche.

This routine made me think about some of my experiences back in the day instructing for Viper Days at Thunderhill. Circa 1997. I will never forget introducing myself to one of my first students. He came out of his motor home wearing a driving suit. I had been told he had only driving his Viper on track once or twice. He introduced me to his wife. It turned out I already knew her-- she was an HR professional at the company that brought me to CA in 1991. Small world.

So then we go over and inspect the car. I see some aftermarket wheels and some very large, used slicks. Now this was a cold, overcast day in March. And I knew he had only driven the car on track once or twice. So now I start delving deeper into my pre-instruction bag. Lots of questions to help me gauge technical competence and attitude.

The end result was after two sessions I was able to turn him loose completely. He was properly prepared and dialed in, as was his car.

A year or so later I got to instruct a fellow PCA racer with what I suspect was ADHD in his Hennessey Venom at Viper Days at Thunderhill. That was an interesting experience.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:06 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Students are like a box of chocolates - you never really know what you have until you hit the track. I've seen stereotypes confirmed or totally blown away.

-Mike
Old 06-07-2019, 04:39 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Old 06-07-2019, 09:27 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by facelvega
(how the Hell do you learn to drive at the Glen?).
Yes, cost of tuition is higher on the east coast. You adapt. You grade turns by risk/downside (if you overcook them), develop a Plan B, and push (or not) accordingly. You also appreciate the value of learning car control as early as possible. With all that, you don't really have to go off track that much in order to learn and improve.

Btw, OP segment was hilarious.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:43 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

We are also very acquainted with the car sliding around on the edge of out-of-control before we even have our first track day, Because we have so much dam Snow!
Old 06-14-2019, 02:49 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
We are also very acquainted with the car sliding around on the edge of out-of-control before we even have our first track day, Because we have so much dam Snow!
I got full credit for this from my instructor at WGI after we went sideways all the way through turn 1 in the rain. I remember he made a comment about Canadians and practice in the snow.

That dude was the chillest instructor ever and I still count myself lucky to have had him for the weekend.

Quick Reply: Hilarious take on instructing in a supercar