Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This ACTUALLY Happened

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 09:25 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

I agree that it's life and death. If someone misses a flag on-track or takes the wrong action when thrown, of course sit them down for a session or two. But if they've only gotten a question wrong, tell them the answer, go over the flags with them again. Hell, even make them sit down and study until they can come back with the right answer and action for all the flags, however long that takes. But don't mandate that they sit out the morning as some sort of childish punishment unless you're also willing to give them part of their fees back. Make a stupid mistake on-track? Yup. Have a seat for a few hours and think about how you directly put people in danger. Miss a question? Learn the answer, commit to doing the right thing, go out there, and drive.

All this being said, it's about event expectations. If there's some sort of stipulation in the track pack or registration process that says, "By paying these fees, you agree that we can sit you down for [reasons] with no money back," then all bets are off.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:34 AM
993Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
While I agree with this in principle, if you sit me for the morning because I miss a question in the drivers' meeting, I'd better see 1/4 of my registration fees come back to my credit card...
No worries, skip the drivers meeting.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
All this being said, it's about event expectations. If there's some sort of stipulation in the track pack or registration process that says, "By paying these fees, you agree that we can sit you down for [reasons] with no money back," then all bets are off.
Having operated and attended non-competitive, DE and competitive track events for decades, a majority of them (at least the smart ones) have this wording INCLUDED as an acknowledgement of these conditions by the entrant.

The organizer can excuse an entrant for part or all of the event at their discretion, without recourse. And that's a good thing, sometimes...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-31-2019, 01:35 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

the idea in this process is it puts additional focus/urgency to knowing whatever it is you are getting quizzed on. you don't want to look the fool, and you don't want to have to sit out. my guess, performance on flag quizzes improves quickly.

"Make a stupid mistake on-track? Yup. Have a seat for a few hours and think about how you directly put people in danger. Miss a question?"

If you miss the question in the meeting, you aren't going to do it right on the track.....so yeah, missing the question equates to a stupid mistake on track...hence this whole thread. just proposing that part of the reason it goes on is it isn't handled with the proper gravity.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:08 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

How many tracks have a critter flag like Road America?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:12 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

This is part of the materials for the Belle Isle GP this weekend and highlights some of the differences in flag protocol.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2019, 02:52 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_D
the idea in this process is it puts additional focus/urgency to knowing whatever it is you are getting quizzed on. you don't want to look the fool, and you don't want to have to sit out. my guess, performance on flag quizzes improves quickly.

"Make a stupid mistake on-track? Yup. Have a seat for a few hours and think about how you directly put people in danger. Miss a question?"

If you miss the question in the meeting, you aren't going to do it right on the track.....so yeah, missing the question equates to a stupid mistake on track...hence this whole thread. just proposing that part of the reason it goes on is it isn't handled with the proper gravity.
I like the idea but instead of sitting them down for a session, I wold try to teach them. Call their instructor over and have a conversation about it. If they are a solo student then I would try to put an instructor in their car for a while. If they balk at that, I wold show them the gate.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:42 PM
bcp2011
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

And then there’s this...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Trac...3934?sfns=xmwa
Old 06-03-2019, 11:55 AM
RolleiBob
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at an HPDE at Barber this weekend. The track marshal gave the flag talk. In five minutes, best this flag means "x" and you react "y", I have heard. Clear and concise. Yes, more details could be added, but for someone experienced a great reminder and for the beginner, not an overwhelming amount of info.

I have been following this thread and paid close attention to how the flags would be presented at this event. Wanted to give a shout out to Barber for their presentation.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:45 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RolleiBob
I was at an HPDE at Barber this weekend. The track marshal gave the flag talk. In five minutes, best this flag means "x" and you react "y", I have heard. Clear and concise. Yes, more details could be added, but for someone experienced a great reminder and for the beginner, not an overwhelming amount of info.

I have been following this thread and paid close attention to how the flags would be presented at this event. Wanted to give a shout out to Barber for their presentation.
This probably matters more than it seems - nobody likes a driver's meeting that goes on and on and on....

-Mike

Quick Reply: This ACTUALLY Happened