Sponsored by:

This ACTUALLY Happened

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 12:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Yesterday, at the FSR-PCA drivers meeting (and I think FSR-PCA is VERY good, comparatively, an excellent culture), they asked if anyone had NOT been at the drivers meeting Friday. Two people raised their hands, so they said, we're going to give the COMPLETE and comprehensive flag talk.

Someone behind me swore under their breath...

You know, until the mindset evident behind me gets fixed, we're going to continue with issues of flag awareness, appropriate response and compliance in all groups and organizations. A damned shame.

Sure, we've all heard it. You know what? We can stand to hear it again. Until there is full compliance, we can ALWAYS afford the time to hear it again.

Maybe the heat's getting to me, but I have less patience for this than I used to.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-26-2019, 01:22 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

Last week at the Glen during the Zone 1 three day DE they gave a very good driver's meeting with full explanations of the flags along with what to do and NOT to do when seeing them. Afterwards, my buddies girlfriend who wasn't driving says "wow.. that's a lot of stuff to remember when your going 125.." and she's right. After four years and 36 days on track I still listen closely to every word they have to say. Let it be pounded over and over in to your head.

In heated cat n mouses with a friend or nemesis you're chasing on track when your laser focusing on them I constantly say "look at the flag station, look at the flag station".
Old 05-26-2019, 01:44 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My first time with Chin was at VIR this past March. Before my checkout ride, I had to complete an online flag test. It took about 1 minute.

At the time I thought it was silly. Of course I know the flags. But now I understand the purpose.

Maybe this should be mandatory before solo signoff with all groups.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:09 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yesterday, at the FSR-PCA drivers meeting (and I think FSR-PCA is VERY good, comparatively, an excellent culture), they asked if anyone had NOT been at the drivers meeting Friday. Two people raised their hands, so they said, we're going to give the COMPLETE and comprehensive flag talk.

You know, until the mindset evident behind me gets fixed, we're going to continue with issues of flag awareness, appropriate response and compliance in all groups and organizations. A damned shame.

Sure, we've all heard it. You know what? We can stand to hear it again. Until there is full compliance, we can ALWAYS afford the time to hear it again.

Maybe the heat's getting to me, but I have less patience for this than I used to.
Absolutely, even with over a decade of doing this I still review the flags and SCCA GCR each season. I want to program in the on track procedures, so the appropriate response is automatic. At a DE, folks see the Green, Yellow, Blue/Yellow (passing), Black (All) and Checkered flags fairly frequently. But, the Yellow/Red stripped, Meat-ball, White and thankfully Red are not often displayed and a paused or wrong response to these can be catastrophic.

Yep, poor attitudes are too often displayed by too many at the track. I know, peoples' time is tight in the morning, but keeping yourself and other safe and your property is worth it. This is probably the same mentality possessed by those that run red lights on the street. Folks think that until that light IS red they can continue on. However, the yellow actually means "prepare to be stopped." And, how do prepare to be stopped? By applying the brakes. I don't know how many times I've had the lights turn green and sat there, while 1-2-3-4 cars continue through an intersection. Ridiculous! I also, recall a driver's meeting at a race, where a driver was arguing with SOM about the the Purple-35 instituted at VIR. If you are getting "red-mist" with the SOM over a flagging procedure,I personally don't want you on the track with me. I don't know how you screen or educate out poor attitudes, but wish we could.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:15 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I think some of the impatience is driven by ignorance that not all tracks/organizations use the same flags. If one does not go to a geographically diverse number of tracks (I'm one of these people) then a mindset can set in that it's all the same everywhere. Specifically teaching this situation could help along the lines of "I know a lot of the locals know this, but this is how we will be doing flags this weekend..." during the driver's meeting plus a specific bullet item in the classroom.

Another angle is perhaps standardizing the flags across the country. Perhaps naive, but how hard could that be? It's not like there are a lot of them (locally we use 10 aspects).

-Mike
Old 05-26-2019, 05:01 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
At VIR with FSR on Friday. I had a student in Blue Group who was Solo rated by MOR at Mid-Ohio but was new to VIR. The assumption was that he would get quickly up to speed and could get signed off solo at VIR. In the day’s third session, as we approached the climbing uphill esses, a waving White flag was thrown. Assuming the student had not seen it, I asked, “What’s a Waving White?” Without hesitation, he braked hard and came to a full stop in the esses within view of the flag station. How I am alive today, I do not know.
OUCH!!!

Was talking to an instructor who had a green/beginner student ~ student came to a complete stop, on track, in a blind corner, because he had traffic behind him.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Who remembers the gym teacher (head flagger) giving the flag talks at Pocono. He used to be there for all the Metro events. His flag talk was awesome!
Old 05-26-2019, 11:37 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Coach Hines?

Old 05-27-2019, 07:20 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Not the heat Peter, you're just getting old....
Old 05-27-2019, 08:14 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

I've seen many drivers meetings where participants are having full on conversations during the meeting. This goes both ways as Ive also seen lots of drivers meetings where the chief instructor running the meeting is waxing on about personal stories and funny anecdotes from the night before. Missing flags and not knowing what they mean is truly dangerous for everyone.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:54 AM
bcp2011
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Live blogging from a chin event. Drivers meeting did not cover flags. Group meeting same thing except some guy asked if a red is thrown whether he should stop or go to the pits. This is in intermediate with a Maclaren and other expensive cars...
Old 05-27-2019, 10:34 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by bcp2011
Live blogging from a chin event. Drivers meeting did not cover flags. Group meeting same thing except some guy asked if a red is thrown whether he should stop or go to the pits. This is in intermediate with a Maclaren and other expensive cars...
Red to the pits is FIA flagging. While not as common in the US, it is used at some events.

I'm surprised they didn't cover flags in the general meeting.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:41 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Red to the pits is FIA flagging. While not as common in the US, it is used at some events.

I'm surprised they didn't cover flags in the general meeting.
Not to pick on Chin, because they don't have a monopoly on this phenomenon, but arguably there is NOTHING more important to cover at a drivers' meeting than what actions to take upon seeing the different flags.

There's also nothing that could be repeated and quizzed more frequently than actions to take with various flags.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:45 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Talking and sort of listening is a crappy way to learn something that is a visual cue seen under some degree of stress.

If we collectively actually cared about this topic (as we seem to agree re. safety) then flag drills should be run at every event.

Best to learn, review, execute with simulation rather than blah blah blah that apparently few people listen to.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:47 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I've asked that question more than once at COTA drivers meetings because it does vary.

Quick Reply: This ACTUALLY Happened