Road America memorial weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 08:07 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts
Default Road America memorial weekend

Who's going? Nasty first day due to rain and cold, damp and slippery tarmac.
Tomorrow (Saturday) is supposed to be awesome.

This time I didn't check the gallon price on the track. I guess I have to fill it up anyway, why also get the bad news?

Lots of GT3, 4, RSs. For those here, take it easy and have fun!
Old 05-27-2019, 01:03 AM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I was there this weekend. Friday was a total washout. Didn't even bother going on track. Went to the movies instead. Saturday was great once the track dried out and today was perfect!

I was out in the 1:30 session today and a 2019 GT2RS that was driving bonkers all weekend put it into the wall just after turn 13. It happened about 20 seconds in front of me. So sad. Hope the driver is ok. Before that incident that was one fast car! He was passing people like they were going in reverse! Amazing car.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:51 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alevine
I was there this weekend. Friday was a total washout. Didn't even bother going on track. Went to the movies instead. Saturday was great once the track dried out and today was perfect!

I was out in the 1:30 session today and a 2019 GT2RS that was driving bonkers all weekend put it into the wall just after turn 13. It happened about 20 seconds in front of me. So sad. Hope the driver is ok. Before that incident that was one fast car! He was passing people like they were going in reverse! Amazing car.
I heard about it, that's a tricky part of the track (not that the rest is much simpler). Seems that the damage was material only. Lots of GTs this weekend, some actually driven properly.

The rainy day wasn't that bad, late in the morning there was even a trail to go. I thought of leaving, but I figured I needed the practice. The clouds were really low at the main straight with a cross wind. I'll see if I can post a short video.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:43 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Given the sloppy conditions Friday, I think the event overall was really clean. I sat out most of Friday (I turned 6 laps over 2 sessions, when it looked like it was drying out, just to shake the cobwebs out) but otherwise just relaxed. Went back to the condo for a bit, took a nap, had a leisurely lunch, etc. The wife didn't come up until Friday night so it was overall just a nice quiet day to myself. Saturday and Sunday was much better on track. Black group had a lot of guys hesitant to give points which was irritating, but otherwise was clean.

I saw the aftermath of the RS (I'd already put mine on the trailer after cording the driver's front) and, while I didn't get up close, it didn't look bad. Front bumper had some scuffs on it as it rolled past me on the rollback when I walked out of the RA store. Not sure how hard he hit the tire wall but I didn't see any wrinkled fenders or hood?

That thing was definitely a missile though. The LED headlights made it easy to spot in the mirror.... here he comes LOL just get my arm out now! WHOOSH off he goes.

Overall my weekend was pretty good. Got to see some old friends I haven't seen in a while. Had fun, starting to get a better feel for the car. Still have some room to go. Challenge with driving a street car is that it's a compromise... I know I can make some setup changes to knock out another second but that comes at the cost of being even more of a PITA on the street, where the car spends most of its time. Still managed to set a personal best, hit my goal... and alllmost hit my stretch goal (needed another ~.2 to hit that).

Old 05-28-2019, 01:12 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Very nice! I managed my best time there as well, which is not much as it's my 2nd time at RA and last year was crazy hot.

Lots of GT cars holding back at the bends and hitting the gas on straights. That didn't help on Friday when having any temps on the tires (cup2 like theirs) was a major issue. On my group , first lap a guy blows his engine leaking oil on 14, just to added to the sloppiness. Not a good weekend for that one, felt sorry for him waiting for a tow just after 2.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:23 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Given the sloppy conditions Friday, I think the event overall was really clean. I sat out most of Friday (I turned 6 laps over 2 sessions, when it looked like it was drying out, just to shake the cobwebs out) but otherwise just relaxed. Went back to the condo for a bit, took a nap, had a leisurely lunch, etc. The wife didn't come up until Friday night so it was overall just a nice quiet day to myself. Saturday and Sunday was much better on track. Black group had a lot of guys hesitant to give points which was irritating, but otherwise was clean.

I saw the aftermath of the RS (I'd already put mine on the trailer after cording the driver's front) and, while I didn't get up close, it didn't look bad. Front bumper had some scuffs on it as it rolled past me on the rollback when I walked out of the RA store. Not sure how hard he hit the tire wall but I didn't see any wrinkled fenders or hood?

That thing was definitely a missile though. The LED headlights made it easy to spot in the mirror.... here he comes LOL just get my arm out now! WHOOSH off he goes.

Overall my weekend was pretty good. Got to see some old friends I haven't seen in a while. Had fun, starting to get a better feel for the car. Still have some room to go. Challenge with driving a street car is that it's a compromise... I know I can make some setup changes to knock out another second but that comes at the cost of being even more of a PITA on the street, where the car spends most of its time. Still managed to set a personal best, hit my goal... and alllmost hit my stretch goal (needed another ~.2 to hit that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZN1taF0qkc
Nice! That's a really impressive time with a street car. I was driving a fully prepped 2009 Interseries Cayman and didn't hit the low 2:30's. What tires where you running? What year Cayman?
Old 05-28-2019, 07:35 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I too managed my personal best. Dropped 5 sec from last year. Good thing to be a newbie, lots of room for improvement.
I'm glad I didn't overuse my tires. Last year they left in poor shape, but it was quite hotter. Brake pads in the other hand came out in crumbling...
Old 05-29-2019, 12:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by alevine
Nice! That's a really impressive time with a street car. I was driving a fully prepped 2009 Interseries Cayman and didn't hit the low 2:30's. What tires where you running? What year Cayman?
Thanks

Car is a 2006 Cayman S, with an updated 3.4L DFI motor. Other than a set of Fabspeed headers, powertrain is otherwise stock. I have the factory PSE exhaust so with the valves open it sounds good. Suspension is likely similar to what's on your Interseries car - GT3 LCAs, Tarrett sways, and JRZ RS2's. Stock brake calipers though, with Olsen ducts up front. It's a full interior, all panels, sound deadening, etc. Only interior stuff changed is I've added a rollbar, harnesses, seats, and a Momo wheel (which is more a necessity to get in/out of the car with fixed seats.) Car still weighs ~3100lbs.

Originally Posted by John Mclane
I too managed my personal best. Dropped 5 sec from last year. Good thing to be a newbie, lots of room for improvement.
I'm glad I didn't overuse my tires. Last year they left in poor shape, but it was quite hotter. Brake pads in the other hand came out in crumbling...
Yeah my issue is definitely my alignment. My car mostly sees street and autocross use. I was trying to avoid completely shredding the inside edges of my street tires since I only do 2-3 track events a year, so I had Olsen go conservative with the setup. I could have used a lot more camber up front this past weekend - I didn't expect to cord the outside edge of the driver's front! I was hoping to get a couple more events out of this set of tires.... damn.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:31 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I drive my car to and from the track, clean it up and refit car seat in the back and go to work. Talk about compromise...

the only improvements I can live with as a DD are tires (without torrential rains), pagids and maxed front camber (stock, so not much). The car is quite soft being a cab, some wrestling is required. Still, I think I managed decently. Next year I hope to bring a more proper car and trim at least a couple of seconds.

Quick Reply: Road America memorial weekend