Sponsored by:

The Art Of Racing In The Rain - motion picture

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 10:51 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
I may drive a hair dresser's car but Im not trying to convince anyone of anything. Are they getting my 15 bucks? no, I'll wait till it's on Netflix in a couple months, watch it at home with my girlfriend and go cry in my Boxster by myself when I assume the dog dies.. with my 15 bucks.

-Mike
Old 05-21-2019, 11:41 AM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

OK, I'm gonna have to be "that guy"..
A friend gave me the book and I have to say it was so sappy and so obvious and hamfisted in its lets-pull-some-heartstrings approach that I did not get very far into it. Maudlin crap. Attempts at describing driving in a "writerly" way were also unsatisfying to me (long-time track hound here, I*love* tracking in the pouring rain). Dostoevsky, it aint... Of course this movie ain't gonna be any Le Mans or Grand Prix either. Sappy overly sentimental schlock, for sure. I doubt I'd be able to stand 5 minutes of it, let alone 90+. But then I hate most things....
Old 05-21-2019, 03:54 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 189 Likes on 77 Posts

Looks like Turner is getting some great screen time. ECS must be doing well. Will was always an easy guy to talk to.

Will watch. And agree with others, the book was great.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:44 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
OK, I'm gonna have to be "that guy"..
A friend gave me the book and I have to say it was so sappy and so obvious and hamfisted in its lets-pull-some-heartstrings approach that I did not get very far into it. Maudlin crap. Attempts at describing driving in a "writerly" way were also unsatisfying to me (long-time track hound here, I*love* tracking in the pouring rain). Dostoevsky, it aint... Of course this movie ain't gonna be any Le Mans or Grand Prix either. Sappy overly sentimental schlock, for sure. I doubt I'd be able to stand 5 minutes of it, let alone 90+. But then I hate most things....
You watch the movie with your girlfriend/spouse (don't bring both...I'm kidding!), you cry a little, and get laid when you go home for being a sensitive guy.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:51 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
You watch the movie with your girlfriend/spouse (don't bring both...I'm kidding!), you cry a little, and get laid when you go home for being a sensitive guy.
Ah, but the women I like to be with aren't into insipid saccharine crap either!
Old 05-21-2019, 10:28 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

One of my favorite books of all time. Go Enzo!

I'm a huge Golden Retriever person, and I am into Racing, and my wife practices law defending people like Denny - but I can't say any more or I will give away the plot.

My Prediction: Tracking a car will be the next big fad thanks to this movie. Racing or wanting to drive like a racer will enter the world of pop culture. Just like the Urban Cowboy did for Line Dancing, the Art of Racing in the Rain will launch a generation people who will want to drive like Denny. Hold on, and enjoy the ride. And, all you old racers out there, you can say "you were doing it even before it was cool"!
Old 05-22-2019, 12:35 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I thought so too upon reading your comment, but the trailer seems ok. Tough choice - I'm not sure who would be better.

I hope the writing does the book justice.

-Mike
Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Costner looks like a shaggy old Golden Lab
He's actually sounding a bit like Bud Luckey in that clip and he might be fine but in the past he's had a hard time playing humans who aren't Kevin Costner.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:02 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

I think the voice of Enzo should be Seth McFarlane doing his Brian voice.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:08 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZDan
Ah, but the women I like to be with aren't into insipid saccharine crap either!
The plot line in Art of Racing is a well worn path because it works. Women will see it because of the heartstrings angle and guys will watch because of the car/dog angle. Unless they totally F-ed up the movie it will make a lot of money.

Originally Posted by Coochas
I think the voice of Enzo should be Seth McFarlane doing his Brian voice.
I would go see that movie but I think it would be a very different show.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:24 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Ok... I've been told this is a great book and always meant to get around to it but haven't yet. So I don't know the story.

The trailer says something about being from the people who brought us Marley and Me. You know what?? F those people!! That movie ruined me. I hold that movie up as the reason I don't watch dog movies anymore. The whole point of them seems to be to emotionally destroy you.

I love my dog. I don't want to think about her mortality. I love most dogs. The worst thing about them is that they don't last nearly long enough.

So all I want to know is whether I'll enjoy this movie or whether they kill the dog at the end for the easy emotional trauma.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:35 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Ok... I've been told this is a great book and always meant to get around to it but haven't yet. So I don't know the story.

The trailer says something about being from the people who brought us Marley and Me. You know what?? F those people!! That movie ruined me. I hold that movie up as the reason I don't watch dog movies anymore. The whole point of them seems to be to emotionally destroy you.

I love my dog. I don't want to think about her mortality. I love most dogs. The worst thing about them is that they don't last nearly long enough.

So all I want to know is whether I'll enjoy this movie or whether they kill the dog at the end for the easy emotional trauma.
I love dogs as well. In the Usual Suspects there is a dog on the ship that they raid for coke in the final scenes. The boat goes on fire and there is a large explosion and all I could think was "what about the dog." In the director's cut they actually say "the dog made it out alright!"

All I can say is that I read the book and was comfortable with the end.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
All I can say is that I read the book and was comfortable with the end.
Thanks for this!!!

I love Mosport. It's my home track. Looking forward to seeing this now!
Old 05-23-2019, 12:39 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel

There isn't anything in the book that "hams up" pet mortality - it doesn't ignore it either. My wife and I both like dogs and cats - we've had a lot of them over the years, and have a lot of them now, their 15-18 year lifespan sucks and being there at the end is the balloon payment you signed up for when you adopted the animal. The book is a story about life with an accurate backdrop of racing.

If you love dogs, you will enjoy the book. If you love cars, racing cars, and dogs, even more so. And without giving away any spoilers, there are parts of the book that are freaking hilarious. I hit one of those parts at 11 PM on a red eye flight and just could not contain my laughter - I'm lucky I didn't get interviewed by an air marshal.

It all goes back to my earlier comment - I hope the movie does justice to the book.

-Mike

ETA: You can get a used paperback on Amazon for about 5 bucks. It is a fairly quick read.

Last edited by TXE36; 05-23-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Amazon link
Old 05-23-2019, 12:57 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

I can't watch any dog movies ..... They truly kill me ... I like dogs much better than people and enjoy their company much more.
The following 2 users liked this post by rileyracing1:
911-140.6 (08-12-2019), Hatzenbach (08-17-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 06:34 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

It’s been a long time since I read the book, and my view of it was colored by having been through some really challenging times. (Wife with cancer, followed by daughter with anorexia). Wife and daughter survived btw, marriage did not.

My experience was that the book was about the dog’s owners life challenges seen through the dogs eyes. I never considered it a “dog story” per se.

I hope they are able to do justice to it on film.

Quick Reply: The Art Of Racing In The Rain - motion picture