Sponsored by:

Track day helmet question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 07:34 PM
kaimuki
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Track day helmet question

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before. After taking a few years off summer track days I've picked up a 911 and am excited to jump back in. I'm wondering if there is any significant difference in utility/safety between a good quality motorsports helmet and a high end motorcycle helmet for a person doing 4-6 track days each summer. As I motorcyle rider I've essentially stuck with Shoei for the last 15 years. They fit me far better than Arai or Bell and it doesn't appear that Shoei makes a dedicated MS helmet. The upper end touring helmets they make are more compact in the back now there's so no crazy pointy aero stuff to interfere with head vs headrest.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2019, 08:04 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

In general you won't be allowed to use an M helmet with most organizations. They are meant to protect against a single impact vs the multiple impacts a car helmet is designed for, and I am sure some other differences. Check with who you run with but likely you will need a second helmet.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:14 PM
acropora157
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 05-02-2019, 03:15 PM
kaimuki
Advanced

Thanks Kevin and Acropora. The video had me sold by the fire safety section alone, then impact differences car vs bike and so on. Had watched some of these videos on youtube about MS helmets but misses this comparison vid.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:28 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Even aside from the question of whether it's a good idea, though, I've never seen an outfit in the US that allows M helmets on track (except low speed autocross and such).
Old 05-02-2019, 06:25 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

PCA allows M or SA helmets for DE events. (2010 or newer).
Old 05-02-2019, 11:05 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

If possible, try on several brands and find one that fits the shape of your head. A helmet is not something to "cheap-out" on even if you're only doing a few DE's a year. When I started SCCA racing many years ago, the advice I received was to buy a helmet commensurate with the value of your noggin'. If you have a hundred head, buy a hundred dollar helmet.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:05 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
PCA allows M or SA helmets for DE events. (2010 or newer).
Not all regions. Minimum standards can be enhanced on a regional basis.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
If possible, try on several brands and find one that fits the shape of your head. A helmet is not something to "cheap-out" on even if you're only doing a few DE's a year. When I started SCCA racing many years ago, the advice I received was to buy a helmet commensurate with the value of your noggin'. If you have a hundred head, buy a hundred dollar helmet.
I disagree with this. Not the part about trying on different brands. That's spot-on. But the bit about not cheaping out.

I'm not suggesting anyone go get a bicycle helmet and slap an SA sticker on it and try to slip it past inspection, but there's nothing inherently safer about a $2000 helmet than a $400 helmet from a reputable company meeting the same safety standards.

The expensive one will probably be lighter and more comfortable and might have some fancy electronics in it or at least provisions for them but if we're strictly talking about safety, there's no reason to believe you're less safe in the cheap one.

It's not about disregarding the value of safety. It's just that spending more does not necessarily equate to better safety here.

By all means spend a fortune on a fancy helmet. I'm sure my next one will cost a lot more now that I know I'll be in this sport for a long time. If you're just getting started though, by all means get a cheap one (from a reputable company) and go out and have some fun.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:10 PM
kaimuki
Advanced

All god input. And much appreciated. I was surprised to find that the Arai had a longish oval headshape unlike some of their better MC helmets - great fit went with that.

Quick Reply: Track day helmet question