Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Does EZ-Pass Save Money When Trailering (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1140584-does-ez-pass-save-money-when-trailering.html)

Vetch 04-28-2019 04:07 PM

Does EZ-Pass Save Money When Trailering

I never thought much about getting an EZ Pass until I saw that latest PA turnpike prices. With a trailer, it’s just disgusting. I’ve read ambiguous details about the costs so thought it would be best to ask here.

So for example, pulling a two axle toy hauler from WV to NY along the PA turnpike, does EZ Pass save any money if your transponder is from WV?

DTMiller 04-28-2019 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Vetch (Post 15804476)
I never thought much about getting an EZ Pass until I saw that latest PA turnpike prices. With a trailer, it’s just disgusting. I’ve read ambiguous details about the costs so thought it would be best to ask here.

So for example, pulling a two axle toy hauler from WV to NY along the PA turnpike, does EZ Pass save any money if your transponder is from WV?

For a PA resident, absolutely yes. 17% or something like that. Regardless of class. I have everything from 2 axle suv through 5 axle 26000#+ combo and the ez pass price is always lower.

The PA turnpike website is pretty decent but it might not show the prices broken out by state. I can assure you of this -- you won't pay more with ez pass.

Brian 162 04-28-2019 09:42 PM

FYI I was on I-90 last weekend heading to Boston. MA removed all the toll booths, it's all electronic. If you don't have a transponder you will be billed. As far as rates go MA they posted rates, the savings is around 30% using a transponder. I don't know if there is a charge for a trailer.
Luckily I just got an EZ-pass last month.

ProCoach 04-28-2019 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vetch (Post 15804476)

As long as there is reciprocity, yes. It's all on the EZ-Pass site.

They do it on axle count, not weight.

Matt Romanowski 04-28-2019 11:28 PM

And make sure you register the trailer plate with EZ pass as well

BillNye 04-28-2019 11:50 PM

And if you have an open trailer, make sure you take it out of the towed vehicle. facepalm

ruth 04-29-2019 06:47 AM

Could you explain what you mean by “take it out of the tow vehicle”?

i know that one time we were charged for towing when we weren’t. A nightmare to get the credit.

Thanks

T&T Racing 04-29-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski (Post 15805255)
And make sure you register the trailer plate with EZ pass as well

Why? Register EZ Pass to tow vehicle and forget the trailer plate registered to EZ Pass. Much cheaper

BillNye 04-29-2019 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by ruth (Post 15805565)
Could you explain what you mean by “take it out of the tow vehicle”?

i know that one time we were charged for towing when we weren’t. A nightmare to get the credit.

Thanks

The vehicle on the trailer. I was towing a friend's car with his ipass in the windshield (on the trailer) and it charged us both.

ruth 04-29-2019 08:42 AM

Thanks.

Good thing to remember.

T&T Racing 04-29-2019 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by BillNye (Post 15805629)
The vehicle on the trailer. I was towing a friend's car with his ipass in the windshield (on the trailer) and it charged us both.

I have only been charged for the tow vehicle unless forced to go thru an attendant operated toll both. I believe the EZ pass non attendant toll both is a dumb toll booth

993944S2 04-29-2019 10:17 PM

This thread should be closed immediately if not sooner!!!!!

BillNye 04-30-2019 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by T&T Racing (Post 15807366)
I have only been charged for the tow vehicle unless forced to go thru an attendant operated toll both. I believe the EZ pass non attendant toll both is a dumb toll booth

It could be an issue specific to Chicago.Illinois/ipass.. It was an automated tolling array overhead 3 lanes of full speed traffic, I didn't go through a booth. I dont frequent the east coast so it's possible they dont have that type there.

the_vetman 04-30-2019 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by T&T Racing (Post 15807366)

Unfortunately not true. I always go through EZ-Pass Only in that hope. They always get me, at least for the past few years. They have pressure/weight sensors, etc.

DTMiller 04-30-2019 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by the_vetman (Post 15808706)
Unfortunately not true. I always go through EZ-Pass Only in that hope. They always get me, at least for the past few years. They have pressure/weight sensors, etc.

Yup, I accidentally had my 4 axle Class 2 (7000-15000 lbs) transponder in the RV and they charged me for 5 axles class 5 (30,000-45000 lbs) plus a nice penalty for having the wrong transponder (which they waived when I called and explained it was just a mistake) but PA turnpike absolutely has different charges for axles and weight classes.