Tracking a Radical - what to expect

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:49 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by CharleyH
I found the exact same thing. I would look at the data and I could clearly see that I could be flat out through Turn 8 at willow Springs (~135mph). My brain would tell my foot to stay flat on the floor... but my foot wouldn’t listen. It took several sessions before my brain could convince my foot that staying flat was survivable

Charley
Corner 13 at Area 27 can be taken flat, but will see if I can muster the ability to do it!
I have no issue taking 6,11 flat, but keeping my foot pinned at 190 km/h while looking at concrete is scary.
This will be my 3rd summer trying
Old 04-19-2019, 10:44 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Hey gents. Thanks all for the advice and Peter, I agree with the gent who posted earlier, I'm printing your posts (literally) so I can read and digest offline.

Had the chance to shakedown the SR4 at NJMP Thunderbolt today. Got about 25 laps in today spread out over about 5 outings.

Main takeaway from today...
  1. Wow, I'm physically tired. I can do a lot more laps in a GT4 or GT3 and don't feel anywhere nearly so tired. Hands, forearms, upper body, etc., needs conditioning. I ran the SRF a few times last year and those runs didn't affect me this much.
  2. I had a tech from the shop that prepped the car come with me today. Good move on my part. Shaking down (and in the future, working on setup, etc.) a Radical or something similar really would be difficult on my own. Takes to long to get out of the car from a hot lap to check pressures, temps, etc. Pushing back from the garage into the paddock would be a pain on a regular basis. Hmm, I need to draft my wife into helping in the future. Or, budget another $500/day for track support. LOL.
  3. Starting with known tires with target pressures, etc. is a good idea. I'm running F1000 scrubs and we couldn't find good info on setup for them. So we started pretty high with pressures and the tires were greasy. However, that turned out pretty good IMHO since I got to see how the car responding to trying different things (trail braking, etc.). My tire limits were much lower today than they would have been with fresh good tires.
  4. A bad voltage regulator can cause the wires from the stator (sp?) to overheat. And, if the regulator is shot, then the battery won't charge. And,eventually (like around lap 25 of the day) it will seem like you're running out of fuel because the fuel pump doesn't have enough juice. Fortunately, this happened where I could coast (dead engine) right into pit lane. Whew!
  5. The Radical has better air flow around/above the driver than an SRF. Much less helmet buffeting.
  6. That's all I can think of now cause I'm tired. Getting old, too much desk job. LOL.

Sorry, no pics from today (although I did get a bit of video with crappy audio). Here's a shot of the car sitting in the lobby of the shop that got it ready the last few months. Someone in the shop is a Tifosi and put a Ferrari flag up. Appears most customers were fooled. LOL.

I'll go through the day some more in my head tonight and see what else I can think of.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:46 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Oh, one more thing. MUCH less mental pucker factor since I know I'm not tracking a $100k+ vehicle. I've got about $25k in this so far and more grins/$ than a new street car.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Good.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:01 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

These are a BLAST! I had a 2006 RS3 and probably need another newer in my garage. My first outing had a shot coil so above 7k it would backfire and stutter. Smoooth and easy and was nearly 10sec faster 7 secs faster at Thunderhill. Dyno’ed the car and it was only 98hp. Replaced the coil and got 2x the power. Aero cars on new slicks are AMAZING.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:39 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Car looks lovely! See you on grid at the Runoffs next year?
Old 04-21-2019, 04:01 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

congratulations on the car!! And no spins!!! cold tires have been my nemesis, for me 3rd lap maybe start leaning on it. after 4 spins due to tire temp i am really leary now. +1 on clutch in or just lock them. wheels cannot go backwards or teeth from starter come off into sump. no i have not had that happen ... yet

care is very physical but some of that has been, for me, nervous death grip. after a year with mine i am much more relaxed but car takes its toll. such a great ride tho, its way beyond any street car experience.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:27 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

I have considered buying a Radical for track days but not sure how would that work with GT3/RS, GT4 and other P cars around me. Anyone care to share this type of experience doing track days with regular cars around you?
Old 04-21-2019, 12:49 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I have considered buying a Radical for track days but not sure how would that work with GT3/RS, GT4 and other P cars around me. Anyone care to share this type of experience doing track days with regular cars around you?
The short answer is they work great for track days. You just need to be aware that some drivers can not see you very well so you should keep this in mind when passing. Here is a great post discussing the topic. https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...r1-for-de.html.

If you want to learn more about SR3’s, check out this “Radical SR3 Buyers Guide”.
https://radicalsportscarregistry.com...-buyers-guide/
Old 04-21-2019, 01:07 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't drive either a radical or GT3 but usually the radical guys will pipe up in the drivers meeting to ask that folks keep an eye out for them since they are low and tend to come up fast. It seems to work.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:35 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CharleyH
The short answer is they work great for track days. You just need to be aware that some drivers can not see you very well so you should keep this in mind when passing. Here is a great post discussing the topic. https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...r1-for-de.html.

If you want to learn more about SR3’s, check out this “Radical SR3 Buyers Guide”.
https://radicalsportscarregistry.com...-buyers-guide/
Thanks for the info.....I think will consider again a Radical for track days after I receive my new P car late this year.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

I don’t have a Radical, but a fully aluminum monocoque car similar. I enjoy mixed company, and after I pass them a few times, they know to look for me.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:29 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I don’t have a Radical, but a fully aluminum monocoque car similar. I enjoy mixed company, and after I pass them a few times, they know to look for me.
Thanks! Guess the group you track with has a lot to do.....
Old 04-21-2019, 02:52 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Some of the prototypes will get big (often green or colored) LEDs and put them on the roll hoop. That helps quite a bit in making them visible.

I see them in track days / DE but not in racing. Safety considerations aside, there just aren’t enough here consistently to have a class to race in. Pity - in the longer term I’d really love to race in a formula or prototype car.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:37 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Some of the prototypes will get big (often green or colored) LEDs and put them on the roll hoop. That helps quite a bit in making them visible.

I see them in track days / DE but not in racing. Safety considerations aside, there just aren’t enough here consistently to have a class to race in. Pity - in the longer term I’d really love to race in a formula or prototype car.
Have you checked into the Radical North American Cup series? It is made up of a great group of racers and the go to all of the best tracks in America. Most people join one of the dealer teams and they take care of transporting your car to the events. Also, the Spring Mountain series is great if you can get there on a regular basis.

Here is some more information on the North American Cup series. This year the series is backing up some of the Indy Races.

Charley

https://radicalsportscarregistry.com...-cup-schedule/

Quick Reply: Tracking a Radical - what to expect