Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instructor killed at PBIR April 16 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 12:12 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

" … husband, father, twin brother and son …"

Condolences to all of his family and friends.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:36 PM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the GFM Link - Donation sent -

RIP Peter.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:05 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Very sad to hear. RIP.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:43 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Very sad, indeed.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Tragic loss
Old 04-22-2019, 05:27 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

horrendous story and so sad to hear. condolences.

ive had lots of students spin w me in right seat but tg never contact. only 1 student ever scared me though. I was instructing novice 18 yo son in an amg truck w over 600hp but he was great. then dad who was 'intermediate' asked me to ride w him for 'some tips' in his modified exotic (I don't remember exact car, was yrs ago). he was horrible driver, completely out of control and would not take any instructions. I tried every instructor trick in book for 'loose cannon student' to no avail. luckily, escaped w no untoward events but wow was that scary.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
horrendous story and so sad to hear. condolences.

ive had lots of students spin w me in right seat but tg never contact. only 1 student ever scared me though. I was instructing novice 18 yo son in an amg truck w over 600hp but he was great. then dad who was 'intermediate' asked me to ride w him for 'some tips' in his modified exotic (I don't remember exact car, was yrs ago). he was horrible driver, completely out of control and would not take any instructions. I tried every instructor trick in book for 'loose cannon student' to no avail. luckily, escaped w no untoward events but wow was that scary.
One of the most challenging students I had was a kid around 18 yo who was actually a good driver, but was aggressive out of the gate and really didn't want to listen, and I had to pit him in and give a stern lecture. His dad was a student at the same event, apparently a worse driver and also didn't want to listen to his instructor (who was very frustrated).
Old 04-23-2019, 04:54 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the issues you face with instructing, you are almost always getting into a non-caged car with out any of the safety items that would be a bare minimum in any race car.
There are other options such as lead follow that would be much safer for all involved. It is time to rethink the model.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:02 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

I would say things like lead-follow, car-pit communicators, and data analysis will replace in car instructing over the next generation or so of hpde
Old 04-23-2019, 05:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I would say things like lead-follow, car-pit communicators, and data analysis will replace in car instructing over the next generation or so of hpde
There have been people saying that for half a generation, already.

Skip Barber started in 1974 and has used lead-follow, corner to pit radio feedback since that time.

Video and data analysis has been readily available and easy to use for at least a decade.

But the in-car culture is strong. And there are many positives from that culture.

It's a complex question. When you strap into the passenger seat, you increase your risk. Period.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-23-2019, 05:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Since instructors voluntarily provide in-car instruction, and the rate of incidents is low, I don't see a need to consider generally discontinuing it as an instructional format. But time will tell whether enough instructors continue to choose to do it (ever faster street cars seem to be a concern for many instructors, despite their generally better safety systems). If instructors no longer want to get in the right seat, the format will go away on its own, and the DE world will be forced to find another way to keep DE going. I'm one of the countless people who greatly enjoyed and appreciated getting in-car instruction, and then started instructing myself mainly to 'give back'.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:55 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

ive noticed a big uptick in requests from clubs to come instruct due to low turn out. i think people are hesitant to get in cars with strangers due to well publicized tragedies like this one.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

ive noticed a big uptick in requests from clubs to come instruct due to low turn out. i think people are hesitant to get in cars with strangers due to well publicized tragedies like this one.
I just think there are more events, more clubs and more venues to do this. There are a finite amount of people who want to "give back." Bless them, for sure. I see the same folks at VIR with many different clubs. Most are extremely experienced and dedicated.

But it's still a finite number...

Peter was a pro, too.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:25 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm as concerned about my safety as anyone but in my mind there is a big difference between the DEs that most of us instruct at and exotic car experience type event. I really can't understand how they even manage to insure those. Teenage boys and super cars just isn't a good mix.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:31 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
I'm as concerned about my safety as anyone but in my mind there is a big difference between the DEs that most of us instruct at and exotic car experience type event. I really can't understand how they even manage to insure those. Teenage boys and super cars just isn't a good mix.
^^This^^

My wife got me an exotic car experience 14 years ago for Father’s Day. I drove a Lambo for 29 laps around a coned up autocross course in a lot at Giants stadium. It was fun and safe, but I could not imagine doing it on a full blown race track. I had no idea what I was doing and the instructor in the right seat was guiding me, but this was within the safety of an auto cross within a wide open parking lot. A racetrack is a totally different animal. Well said above: teenage boys with little to no experience and high powered super cars on a racetrack is a recipe for disaster.
So sad regardless.

Quick Reply: Instructor killed at PBIR April 16 2019