Sponsored by:

The difference between Racers & DE

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 10:30 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The difference between Racers & DE

Big difference ! I wouldn't go out on Cup 2's But Luigi will go out on SLICKS.. BOLD.. this was the driest moment of the day. it didn't last long

Old 04-16-2019, 11:15 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Good seeing you again for the first time in many years.

The only standing water was in the lefthander and "river" toward the end of no-name so it wasn't very bold - slicks was the only option. Once the tires got up to temperature they gripped just fine.

I did almost pay the price as I decided to start keeping my foot down on the gas as I went through the river, causing some wheel spin, which almost caught me out going into the uphill.

Would have been nice if the weather had stayed consistent - just when the track dried out in the morning it poured for about an hour and then the track sort of dried out over the course of the day again.

Good hanging out with the CVR drivers and thanks to those who stayed until the end for pizza and beer! It was a fun day despite the weather.

Also got to instruct and old friend who, for the second time every on track and first time at Lime Rock, did surprisingly well!
Old 04-16-2019, 01:18 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Nice pics Bob.

We're at LRP tomorrow and Thursday with NNJR. Looks to be quite a bit drier than yesterday. Hoping for the best.

Can't wait....
Old 04-20-2019, 12:11 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I respect anyone that refuses to drive in the rain.
Count me in that group (although, its moot, as I've probably quit DE for good)

Rain.
Risk/reward is terrible.
You're barely enjoying yourself
and you might randomly crash like this guy

I can't even tell what happened, he just lost it.
Was this worth trashing his car over?
Old 04-20-2019, 12:31 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood

Rain.
Risk/reward is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UFkugnRhcc
PCA racing is not NASCAR so we race in the rain. If you race in the rain you have to practice in the rain.

I know plenty of people who sit out and that is their decision. I enjoy the challenge.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:48 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Rain.
Risk/reward is terrible.

In my opinion that was the worst condition, where it is more of just a mist and the track is only partially wet or starting to dry. Rains don't really help in that condition, gotta be extremely careful or just don't go out.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:51 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

Rain.
Risk/reward is terrible.

This is a personal choice and also I respect anyone not wanting to go out.....IMHO DEs/Track Days in wet conditions I think it's one of the best opportunities to learn about your car and refine your driving technique at lower limits/speed.
You do have to be aware that the limits will be lower, need to be smoother with all you inputs (gas/brake/steering) and you will have to adjust your line. You can work slowly your speed.up but always keeping in mind that you will never be at dry track speeds.
Anyway, DEs are not supposed to be for doing track records or races...so slowing down if you feel uncomfortable in some areas is more than OK and you can pit or decide to stop, no harm.

We recently had a DE under full wet conditions. Half of the students stayed on the tent and the other half decided to go out...after the session they told me it was a bit stressful first but rewarding in that they learned a lot.
One condition and something I do make all instructors check before going out on a wet track is tire conditions....you do need a tire that can evacuate the water, specially for people not used to drive on wet tracks.
Also some tracks are dangerous due to the accumulation of water.

Dealing with rain and a wet track is part of the learning process....it's still a dangerous sport wet or dry, you do have to use your best judgement and be even more alert all the time
Old 04-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Over the years I've driving many wet track events.
This time it's a completely refreshed suspension & car set up with many changes.- cold track & early in the season. Used Cup 2's . I have a "when in doubt- pass" attitude from all the years I've been doing this. Especially Lime Rock Park. Rarely forgiving.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:15 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I have had some of my most rewarding DE sessions in the wet and will almost always score a new PB in the dry just after. No doubt the wet helps my skills. That said, going out in the wet is up to the individual and there is no shame in skipping it. Also, if it is just a DE and the wet session simply isn't fun (I've had those too), or you have the wrong tires, why bother?

-Mike
Old 04-20-2019, 01:36 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Rain.
Risk/reward is terrible.

Never been to that track, but that turn looks an awful lot like T4 CCW at the now defunct TWS. Only a bit of camber, uphill, looks like the camber falls off at the top and the dry line is very polished making it very slippery when wet. This guy's spin looks like the "classic T4 wet spin" and the reason I know this is I've done it but didn't have the wall to hit. The cause is getting on the throttle before the steering wheel is straight. Too much throttle too soon and the rear steps out and one goes off track right backwards. Too much throttle here past the apex can be a very small amount. You have to go through it with constant throttle if you want to run the dry line in the wet or this happens. Anticipating the step out because of experience also helps. The alternative is to "rim shot" it around the outer edge, or at least a 1/2 car width off the apex where there was more grip. On difference between TWS T4 and the video is the one in the video is considerably faster, which I would think would make this turn even more tricky.

If you listen there is quite a bit of throttle hunting at the turn entry and increasing throttle after the apex with the wheel turned. There is a tap of the inside apex curb at 0:25 that may have slightly upset the suspension. IMHO, cause was too aggressive throttle application after the apex with the wheel turned. Perhaps also slightly slow hands in the correction. The correction is difficult as one has to be very quick and it does not help that the S2000 has a reputation for being tail happy.

Compared to the dry, the wet is just slow. What matters here is not your speed, but how fast you are compared to the other cars out there.

-Mike
Old 04-20-2019, 02:24 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

What's there to be afraid of in the wet? What possibly could happen? Here's me at the Glen last year.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:41 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Oh yeah, in the wet, stay off the paint. Yikes, lots of post incident buffing.

I wonder if that hood gave you just a bit more grip at a critical moment.

-Mike
Old 04-20-2019, 03:03 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

Woah....half the field gone in the first lap? Good driving avoiding cars and debris....I had a few of those races in the past and usually the first lap is the worst!
Old 04-20-2019, 03:55 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Woah....half the field gone in the first lap? Good driving avoiding cars and debris....I had a few of those races in the past and usually the first lap is the worst!
Yep - the first lap is usually the worst. Especially when everybody is on slicks due to an unexpected downpour.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
What's there to be afraid of in the wet? What possibly could happen? Here's me at the Glen last year.
Well, that's one way to go from P7 to P4. Nice work.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: The difference between Racers & DE